• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.357 Mag Rifle Loads

rewster

NES Member
I'm picking up a Rossi Mdl 92 SRC with a 20 inch barrel next week. I will only be using it for metal plates and paper at the club. I have 125 and 158 gr Berry's flat point bullets and Win 231 to work with. Don't have to knock down a whitetail but I would like to see the plates tumble [grin]

It would be my recommendation to go to Hodgdon's website http://www.hodgdon.com/ and find the starting and max loads for the bullets you have. Work up your loads to where you're comfortable. Keep in mind that Hodgdon does all powder manufacturing for Winchester now and that W231 is Hodgdon's HP38 and W296 is Hodgdon's H110.

Last edited:
I have two favorite loads for a '94 Marlin .357:

Hornady 158-gr. FP-XTP, 15.0 grains H110, Starline Brass, CCI #550 (SP Magnum) primer.

Same bullet, 13.0 grains Win 630, same brass and primer.

Win 630 is no longer in production, but I have a large quantity.

In an 18" carbine barrel, the 630 load produces 1585 fps @ 10'. Sighted for 100 yards, the round is +0.85" at 25 yards, +1.65" at 50 yards and +1.40 at 75 yards.

I'm picking up a Rossi Mdl 92 SRC with a 20 inch barrel next week. I will only be using it for metal plates and paper at the club. I have 125 and 158 gr Berry's flat point bullets and Win 231 to work with. Don't have to knock down a whitetail but I would like to see the plates tumble [grin]

Just be aware you really don't want to push plated bullets faster than 1200 fps, and that's really easy to do in a 20" rifle. The thin plate will strip off on the rifling and you'll probably get key-holing much past that speed.

Last edited:
Paul Moulton up in Vermont in addition to his regular bullets makes a longer 147 grain .357/.38 Special TC (Truncated Cone) bullet, used quite a bit in CAS. Aids in feeding some Uberti 1873 and Marlins.

http://www.moultonlead.com/products.html

Thanks for the site ! I've got some Penn 158gr truncated bullets coming. If I have trouble with them, I'll give Moulton a try.

Do you use a different load for rifle .357 and pistol .357?

How does HS-6 compare to 2400? (what do you like about HS-6 over the alternatives?)

HS-6 is faster than 2400 and won't deliver as much velocity.

I used it because it gave me decent speed with low pressure. I'm shooting 158gr lead bullets in a Uberti copy of a Colt Lightning rifle. It's an exact copy right down to the not-so-strong action, so I wanted to keep the pressure down.

Roger:

I've got an NEI mold that drops a bullet similar to that Moulton product, but at about 164 grains. It's a TC style, non gas-checked base. (I don't recall if it's flat or bevel-based w/o it being handy. Needless to say, it's a whole lot easier just buying the finished product from him instead of trying to borrow a mould and casting your own.
If interested, I could send you a few samples, if I have any laying around. Let me know...the bulk of my reloading gear is in storage at another location right now.
GW
North Stonington, CT

Alliant 2400 may be a top choice for full house magnum loads, but unless you are hunting with your rifle, it will give way more oomph than you need for plates or paper. Additionally, 2400 only really does its thing in hefty weights. A light load of 2400 would be unpredictable, or even dangerous.

JR

Thanks for the offer ! I have yet to get into casting. I may venture in that direction after I retire.

Roger:

I've got an NEI mold that drops a bullet similar to that Moulton product, but at about 164 grains. It's a TC style, non gas-checked base. (I don't recall if it's flat or bevel-based w/o it being handy. Needless to say, it's a whole lot easier just buying the finished product from him instead of trying to borrow a mould and casting your own.
If interested, I could send you a few samples, if I have any laying around. Let me know...the bulk of my reloading gear is in storage at another location right now.
GW
North Stonington, CT

Back
Top Bottom