.357 MAG primers

84ta406

NES Member
Im starting to load some .357 MAG for my brother and have been having a very hard time finding Small Magnum Primers locally. I was planning to use H110 and CFE pistol. I wont bother trying the H110, but could I use regular Small primers for the CFE loads? Im going to use 7gr of the CFE Pistol which is the same I use for 357 SIG which is a even higher pressure, figured Id ask those smarter than myself on the subject.

Hodgdon recommends magnum primers with both of those powders for .357 Magnum.

You are likely to get inconsistent velocities with regular primers (or squibs with the H110 and non-magnum primers).

Last edited:
Heres the data from Hodgdons site, I was just curious because my SIG rounds dont require magnum primers for pretty much the same bullets, powder charge and even higher case pressure. I figured maybe the use of a "non magnum" powder, standard primers might be ok. But Ill be waiting to get the right ones.

Attachments

• xtps.jpg
    xtps.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
i picked up a 1000 magnum sp primers tuesday at glens in north reading. a little ride from you i see but maybe worth it if you have a list of stuff. i'd call ahead before i started out.

I use small rifle primers for all my pistol loads. just adjust powder charge accordingly. I have 130 power factor 9mm loads, 9mm major power factor loads (1520fps 115gr FMJ) [grin] which I don't recommend unless your gun is built for... and my 40 major power factor ammo all using small rifle primers. Use a chrono and when the primer is starting to get washed out in the primer pocket, you may start to run into problems. I'm sure people will have negative feedback with my reply, so YRMV

Back
Top Bottom