• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

357 mag crimping?

I've found that for best results...... Real 357 magnum is best loaded with copper jacketed bullets with a good canneleur. I've tried working up even mild to med pressure 357 Ioads with plated bullets and the light crimp required for plated bullets ....I end up with crimp jump.

I save the plated and cast bullets for 38 special. For me so far......I have found that better quality jacketed bullets like Speer and Hornady have a more consistent canneleur. 38 special I barely crimp them with any type of bullet......very low pressure load and the neck tension alone keeps them in place during firing. Just enough on the crimper to remove the flair.
Blasphemy!
Elmer and Skeeter would be ashamed. A properly designed cast bullet will do the job just fine.
Just not the crappy mass produced junk out there.

Blasphemy!
Elmer and Skeeter would be ashamed. A properly designed cast bullet will do the job just fine.
Just not the crappy mass produced junk out there.

14.5 grains of 2400 with a 158 grain coated bullet (Missouri bullet company) and never a problem. Pretty darn accurate and a hell of a lot fun to shoot.

I've found that for best results...... Real 357 magnum is best loaded with copper jacketed bullets with a good canneleur. I've tried working up even mild to med pressure 357 Ioads with plated bullets and the light crimp required for plated bullets ....I end up with crimp jump.

Well, in truth I sometimes applied rather more roll crimp to plated rounds than could be recommended, basically creating a bit of a crimp groove, but accuracy wasn't really there.

Well, in truth I sometimes applied rather more roll crimp to plated rounds than could be recommended, basically creating a bit of a crimp groove, but accuracy wasn't really there.
I've found accuracy to suffer some yes. My biggest problem with over crimping plated bullets was leading. Plated bullets are swaged lead under the plate not cast. Once the plating is cracked that swaged lead is exposed and in a 357 velocity load it leads up the bore pretty quickly.

Back
Top Bottom