• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.357 Air Rifle - MA O.K. for coyote?

There are airguns which sell for more, and aren't digital.

OTOH, you can get a coyote-killing air rifle for half the price of a Benjamin rogue ePCP (or less); there are several options in the more commonly available .25 air rifle lines.

Last edited:
Not sure about MA, but in RI there are hunting regs for coyote hunting and the caliber can't be larger than .229 so check in MA if there is any regulations about it. MY AR is a coyote killer and I'm thinking about getting a bolt .223 and load up some sub-sonic loads.

What's wrong with using shotgun at night???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Range? Shotgun effective range is 50 yards.

Not sure what the airgun's effective range is. I wouldn't want to use a .22 on a coyote at ANY distance. Simply not enough stopping power.

For the guy in RI, I do not believe there are any caliber restrictions for DAYTIME coyote hunting in MA. You could use a .308 if you want.

Range? Shotgun effective range is 50 yards.

Not sure what the airgun's effective range is. I wouldn't want to use a .22 on a coyote at ANY distance. Simply not enough stopping power.

For the guy in RI, I do not believe there are any caliber restrictions for DAYTIME coyote hunting in MA. You could use a .308 if you want.

Right.... I would be concerned about an air gun's effective range as well. I also would agree that a .22 is under powered. But at night - what is a distance you realistically expect to be engaging at? If a shotgun is effective to say 40 yards - I would think that sufficient for nighttime yote hunting. Especially in our thick woods. But honesty I'm new to the game - so I could be completely off base.

Why do some states mandate .22LR for (night) coyote hunting?

Right.... I would be concerned about an air gun's effective range as well. I also would agree that a .22 is under powered.

Crosman says that at full power " the Rogue is capable of taking coyotes up to 75 yards.", and there are several options for .25 caliber air rifles which are also effective on coyote.

While I agree that .22LR is not the most humane round for Coyote hunting, it is what the hunting regulations allow.

A slug gun will do the trick increasing that shotgun range... as stated above, you'd need a nice, full moon out to give you good vis.

The word from DFW is, yes. Kinda:

"Air rifles are not considered a firearm under MA law, so you can use it at night for coyote. You could also use an air rifle to hunt most small game, but not turkey, bear, or deer due to the wording of their hunting regulations."

There is also that standard night time tidbit: "*****NOT permissible during shotgun deer season; Nothing chambered larger than a .22 caliber long rifle rimfire or .38 caliber handgun between 1/2 hr after sunset and 1/2 hr before sunrise"

----

Mass. DFW not only replied in a timely manner, but also attached a spreadsheet listing species and the hunting implements permissible and any restrictions. Interestingly, air rifles (they're referred to as "air gun") are NOT permissible for the hunting of crows.

Last edited:
re: MA DFW, hunting implements

Here's my attempt at converting the provided XML to HTML, then grabbing a screen capture:

View attachment 92805

-----

So much for that. I must've missed the image resizing fine print. I'll try again later

Last edited:
A slug gun will do the trick increasing that shotgun range... as stated above, you'd need a nice, full moon out to give you good vis.

You can not have a slug in the woods hunting in mass for anything except during the shotgun dear season

Back
Top Bottom