• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CMP/NRA/MA legal high power AR-15 service rifle

I am interested in getting an AR-15 for NRA/CMP High Power Rifle service rifle competition in MA, have a couple of questions though.

If I get a new Post-ban AR-15 then it cannot have a flash suppressor in MA, so most of the places that I have looked sell them with a pinned/soldered/welded muzzle brake installed instead for orders to MA. However, under NRA/CMP rules for service rifles, a muzzle brake is not allowed. Also, under NRA/CMP rules going with a plain crown without threads wouldn't be allowed either since that would be an external modification. So is normally done here, I can't see a way out of the legal/rule paradoxes.

If there is something I am missing, I apologize in advance... I am new to this, and couldn't find anything with searches.

Thanks,
~Droid

The flash supressor was not mandatory in the CMP rules. It still isn't. Rock River sells their CMP model either way.

(6) The flash suppressor and bayonet lug may be removed or the rifl e may
be manufactured without a fl ash suppressor or bayonet lug. Barrel length
may not exceed 20 inches, as measured to the end of the rifl ing in the
barrel.

By the way, here's the entire CMP Match Rulebook. Very good reference..
http://www.odcmp.com/Competitions/Rulebook.pdf

All I get is the index page when I try the link....

The NRA doesn't have their rulebook online so I can't check.

Last edited:
All I get is the index page when I try the link....

The NRA doesn't have their rulebook online so I can't check.

If you go to this index page, you need to mouse over the section numbers to follow the link. For some reason the NRA thinks that normal people would know that, given that the links are not highlighted. You're not the only one that didn't get it. [thinking]

B

I am new to this, and couldn't find anything with searches.

Being only slightly less new to this, I went up a bunch of the same learning curve recently. First off, yup, a plain barrel is fine under both CMP and NRA service rifle rules. If you want a nice off-the-shelf CMP-legal gun, both the Bushmaster "DCM" model and the Rock River "NM" model are nice, and both can be had brandy-new for under $1k. (Oops, not anymore. Best prices I know are now $1021 for the Bushmaster from AG in Lowell and about a month ago I was quoted just under $1k for the Rock River from ar15sales.com.) Used prices are $800 and up; Four Seasons has one of the Bushmasters used right now for $999.95. Several other manufacturers make more-or-less competition-ready AR-15s that are probably also good, but those are the two I have some experience with.

Many people will tell you that White Oak makes the best service rifle uppers out there. Not sure I'd disagree, either. If you're willing to wait for your upper to be built, it's hardly more expensive than the other options, and they'll also sell you a nice tuned two-stage trigger for short money.

Have fun! There's an EIC match in Reading in early June, too. (Nashua had one last weekend.) There are CMP clinics all over the place, too.

3.1.3 Service Rifle - Any rifle or modified rifle not covered by NRA Rules 3.1, 3.1.1 or 3.1.2, but permitted by CMP Rules are considered service rifles in NRA sanctioned competition.

Sounds like they are defering to the CMP rule allowing no flash hider to be on the firearm.

3.1.3 Service Rifle - Any rifle or modified rifle not covered by NRA Rules 3.1, 3.1.1 or 3.1.2, but permitted by CMP Rules are considered service rifles in NRA sanctioned competition.

Sounds like they are defering to the CMP rule allowing no flash hider to be on the firearm.

I read that two different ways, they could be deferring to CMP... but they also have a section above 3.1.2 that talks specifically about the M16/AR-15, so it could be read that an AR-15 is already "covered by NRA rules" and the CMP allowed clause isn't in effect. If sounds like a plain crown is perfectly acceptable though, so I will just chalk all this up to misinterpretation of the rules on my part.

Thanks everyone for responding,
~Droid

Back
Top Bottom