1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Arizona Man Kills Bobcat with a Hammer

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by mark056, Apr 25, 2008.

1. mark056

mark056 NES Member

Ariz. Couple Attacked by Rabid Bobcat; Man Had to Kill It With a Hammer
    THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

TUCSON, Ariz. | A couple hiking in the mountains outside Tucson were clawed and bitten by a rabid bobcat that did not relent until the man killed it with his geologist’s hammer.

Rich Thompson, a geologist at the University of Arizona, and his wife, a marine biologist at the school, were receiving rabies shots after Saturday’s attack.

Thompson said he knew the cat was rabid the moment he saw it staring at him and Katrina Mangin in the Santa Rita Mountains.

He said they tried to get away but the bobcat pursued them, lunging at Mangin, climbing up her legs and wrapping its body around her, clawing and biting.

The couple fought off the bobcat, but it continued attacking and jumped on Thompson’s back.

“I hit it with the backpack over my shoulder,” he said. The cat fell to the dirt and lunged again. “It attacked me again, and I threw it down.”

Finally, Thompson took out his hammer and killed the animal.

“It’s very sad,” Thompson said. “This poor kitty cat was deranged by its disease-riddled brain. I love the native cats. It was terrible to have to kill it.”

After receiving initial treatments at a hospital, the couple went with a state wildlife manager to retrieve the dead bobcat.

Pima County health officials last week warned of an increase in rabies cases in the area.

http://www.theledger.com/article/20080424/BREAKING/828586635

My comments: A bobcat is not a "kitty cat." People in Arizona have the right of open carry anywhere in the state except where prohibited by statute or municipal ordinance. I am glad that the couple survived the ordeal, but a .357 trumps a geologist's hammer anytime.

I am sorry that these people are associated with my alma mater: The University of Arizona, back in the day famous gunwriter and shooter Jack O'Connor (the leading proponent of the .270 Winchester and 7mm Remington Mag cartridges) was on the faculty there as well as Kam Nasser who was an internationally known big game hunter and famous collector of 1911A1 pistols was also a UofA faculty member. How times have changed, now we have people who feel badly about killing a "kitty cat"...geesh [puke]

My apologies for admitting I am a college graduate, now you will murder my grammar and syntax [frown]

Mark l.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2008
  2. doobie

doobie Banned

BAN HAMMERS! It's for the good of the Bobcats!

3. LoginName

LoginName NES Member

4. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Member

Wow. I have always wanted to hunt a predator animal with my bare hands but I don't want to actually have to do it because I will probably lose.

5. Blitz1

Blitz1 NES Member

Yes!! Hammers are dangerous, they should all be banned!!

6. Chris

Chris NES Member

Just east of Zone 9, but in Worcester County.
    I read the title and thought this guy managed to destroy a Skid Loader with just a hammer. (^_^)

Go Pig hunting in Hawaii. You are allowed a knife ONLY.

7. springer

springer Member

Every entrance to the part of the Coronado National Forest that these people where in has a 3x4 foot sign stating the following: “Smuggling and other illegal activity is likely to be encountered in this area” Forget the rabid bobcats, who wouldn’t pack a roscoe after reading that?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2008
  8. jdubois

jdubois NES Member

I'm not seeing anything wrong with the guy's remorse. Bobcats are beautiful animals, and worthy predators. I've also had to kill animals before because they were rabid, and I too have always felt bad for them. It's a terrible disease to have to suffer, and it leads nowhere but death.

9. springer

springer Member

geesh...[rolleyes][rolleyes] I can't wait til I move out of the northeast.

10. jdubois

jdubois NES Member

Sheesh, it's not like I am (or by any indication the guy in the article is) trying to tell anybody they shouldn't hunt. Go kill anything you want, I don't give a sh*t. All I said is I can feel for a rabid animal. Sorry if you can't...

11. Erebus

Erebus Member

I'm with you. I don't like to see an animal suffer from a terminal disease(or anything else for that matter) any more than seeing a human suffer.

12. Arioch

Arioch Member

No no, save the hammers. The children need them! (At least mine do)

13. dwarven1

dwarven1 Appleseed Instructor

Starksboro, VT (and sometimes Waltham. For now.)
    My first thought was that someone pounded a Beretta 21A flat with a hammer... I have one and I'd hate for it to suffer like that.

That said, I, too, would feel remorse at having to kill the bobcat. They ARE beautiful. However, if it's him or me... I'm the one with the .45. It's going down.

The cat didn't ask to contract a terminal disease, but I don't want to die, either.

1 person likes this.
  14. DickWanner

DickWanner Banned

Remorse like that can either get you killed or leave you with serious psychological ramifications when dealing with "feeling bad" for a criminal who is about to kill you. That animal had murderous intentions and it was either the animal or the 2 humans. I would feel no sympathy towards the animal. Sucks to be it, but that is how life goes.

My drill seargent told a story about how a checkpoint being run by fellow soldiers in his company. A 5yo girl approached the checkpoint and none of the soldiers would fire at her. She was an IED and killed 5 of the soldiers at that checkpoint and injured others.

It is not incompassionate to seperate yourself mentally against your aggressors, in fact it might save your life.

15. Coyote33

Coyote33 Member

A true hunter has the utmost respect and love for his prey.

1 person likes this.
  16. PaulD

PaulD NES Member

Because having some compassion for an animal somehow only happens in the northeast?

17. DickWanner

DickWanner Banned

Most definitely. Though respect and love does not equate to sympathy and remorse in any way.

18. jdubois

jdubois NES Member

Agreed. Hesitation in a life threatening situation will get you killed. I'm not at all suggesting you shouldn't do whatever is necessary to protect yourself from a dangerous animal (or person). Any remorse you may or may not feel is for AFTER the encounter, not during.

19. DickWanner

DickWanner Banned

I'll accept that. Sounds good to me [grin]

20. Scrivener

Scrivener Banned

Indeed. Unfortunate that the family was attacked and the bobcat was killed, but even a geologist's hammer was probably a quicker death than rabies would have been.

I certainly feel sorry for the family, which now has to undergo painful rabies shots.