Bow & Drill, Flint/Steel, & Hand Drill...

Thanks for offering to do this! Would definitely be in if you set up a session....

See my post above yours.

Respectfully, the instructor that taught you how to do bow/drill must not know what they are doing if you guys were having that hard of a time.

I'd be more than willing to do demo on Bow/drill this summer to show how easy it is when done right... for anyone interested.

True, it is not difficult at all. IF you know what you are doing, poor choice of materials, bad technique and a few other factors can make what should be an easy process into a difficult one. This is why practice (or at least trying it out after you watch/read about it) is necessary as part of building the skill. Not to beat a dead horse but too many people claim to have wilderness/survival skills after watching tv or reading a book, I don't think have cooking skills after watching the food network and people shouldn't feel comfortable with their survival skill set just because they saw somebody drink the pee out of a dead goat on tv.

Also, for anyone that has never tried this and isn't comfortable doing so on their own; I would take him up on his offer of the free lesson.

Last edited:
See my post above yours.

Respectfully, the instructor that taught you how to do bow/drill must not know what they are doing if you guys were having that hard of a time.

I'd be more than willing to do demo on Bow/drill this summer to show how easy it is when done right... for anyone interested.

I have done this, I have practiced under good conditions and continue to do so. I'll admit that my material choice and technique aren't likely ideal as it's been years since I had formal instruction, but after trying this under less than ideal condtions (wet materials, cold weather, scavenged materials) and my experience has been that I, while I want to have the knowledge available to me, the space/weight of the materials (fireboard, bow, drill) is better spent with alternate firebuilding materials.

I would welcome a refresher course and would be happy to host one in the Manchester, NH area if there are others in the area who would like this as well. I'm still curious about your thoughts on keeping a fireboard/drill/bow in a survival kit verse alternate firebuilding materials (flint&steel, strikers, lighters, matches, etc) for that same size/weight.

I have done this, I have practiced under good conditions and continue to do so. I'll admit that my material choice and technique aren't likely ideal as it's been years since I had formal instruction, but after trying this under less than ideal condtions (wet materials, cold weather, scavenged materials) and my experience has been that I, while I want to have the knowledge available to me, the space/weight of the materials (fireboard, bow, drill) is better spent with alternate firebuilding materials.

I would welcome a refresher course and would be happy to host one in the Manchester, NH area if there are others in the area who would like this as well. I'm still curious about your thoughts on keeping a fireboard/drill/bow in a survival kit verse alternate firebuilding materials (flint&steel, strikers, lighters, matches, etc) for that same size/weight.

I agree with you. I do not carry any bow/drill firemaking stuff with my outdoors gear, it's a skill to be used in a worst case scenario and/or to help preserve my matches, flint/steel, lighter, etc. in case something happens... this is my personal opinion of course. I carry a lighter, matches, and a Swedish fire steel (like in my pics) w/ my gear along with some good tinder of my choice.

I have no problem going up to the Manchester area if we can get enough people on board.

For those interested, here's what I'd do (short version, I'm out the door in 10 minutes)...

I'd bring some examples of good woods/tinder, socket lube, etc., just to save time. I'd bring my own complete set and a set for each person. My basic instruction would be on technique/form and getting a good workable ember. Then, if we have enough time, maybe hike out and set something up from scratch. I could easily do a 2/3 day course on just the bow/drill basics, but I could definitely squeeze in a really good one day or even half day instructional.

True, it is not difficult at all. IF you know what you are doing, poor choice of materials, bad technique and a few other factors can make what should be an easy process into a difficult one. This is why practice (or at least trying it out after you watch/read about it) is necessary as part of building the skill. Not to beat a dead horse but too many people claim to have wilderness/survival skills after watching tv or reading a book, I don't think have cooking skills after watching the food network and people shouldn't feel comfortable with their survival skill set just because they saw somebody drink the pee out of a dead goat on tv.

Also, for anyone that has never tried this and isn't comfortable doing so on their own; I would take him up on his offer of the free lesson.

Totally agree on all points. That Bear video I posted is a great example of that. While I haven't watched all of his shows, that Costa Rica one was an early one... and it wasn't impressive. A TV show/book, even if really good, does not beat out a real life instructional.

Sounds great! Would love to attend this....[wink]

For those interested, here's what I'd do (short version, I'm out the door in 10 minutes)...

I'd bring some examples of good woods/tinder, socket lube, etc., just to save time. I'd bring my own complete set and a set for each person. My basic instruction would be on technique/form and getting a good workable ember. Then, if we have enough time, maybe hike out and set something up from scratch. I could easily do a 2/3 day course on just the bow/drill basics, but I could definitely squeeze in a really good one day or even half day instructional.

Sounds great! Would love to attend this....[wink]

It's on.

I figure I can set this up on a Saturday or Sunday in mid/late June or sometime in July. In a few weekends when I have some time I'll go out in my back woods and gather up the material I'll need.

I want to figure out where I can host it, maybe my range (or if someone else has any ideas, let me know), I just have to ask first.

I'll post a seperate thread after the weekend on the (possible) where and when. I'm open to options/ideas, so let's make something happen.

Greta info. I am a big fan of these methods and practice in my home fireplace often. My wife gets pissed because she wants a fire now! I say fire takes time, its life that we are conceiving here. She hates when I get like that.lol

Has anyone seen or used one of these? It is called "Perma Match".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWwdHqkpXnU

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/QWwdHqkpXnU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

joseph

PS: I tried to embed the video, but on cegar.

Last edited:
On the TV show "Life Below Zero" a guy makes a stick about 2 inches long with a carved hole in the end, but only about half the way through. Then he puts the wooden rod in the hollow end which he puts in his mouth to control the spinning stick while he pulls on the cord with each hand to get it to spin without a bow. He claims that it actually works better then a bow. He claims that he never uses matches and can easily start a fire at 40 below zero.

Last edited:
Bump it's been a year. Great stuff, thank you. I just finished making some charcloth and using flint/steel with my 14 year old son to start a fire. It's rained for 2 days. It was awesome. Going to use your bow and drill this weekend.

I started my first hand drill fire a few weeks back. I did have help where two of us would take turns spinning the drill. would anyone want to try and get together this Sunday afternoon to practice/learn?

I started my first hand drill fire a few weeks back. I did have help where two of us would take turns spinning the drill. would anyone want to try and get together this Sunday afternoon to practice/learn?
It's going to be pretty wet this sunday. Not ideal for beginners practice. It will be good training for your expert badge.

Did anyone show up last Sunday?

Back
Top Bottom