$350 Surplus SKS

Atlantis

NES Member
Just thought I'd share in case someone is looking but wasn't aware.

PSA has surplus cosmoloved SKS's for $350.

If you live in a free state shipping was like $17. If you live in MA, there are plenty of NH FFL's that will take delivery and then transfer to your LGS. Ends up being closer to $450 to your door if you go that route.

I don't think its exactly a SCREAMING deal, and I'm guessing most of you already have one. Given how slim the pickings have been lately, maybe someone will benefit.

Any reasonable Mass FFL should accept these too since they don't fall under the AWB as they don't have a detachable magazine

Any reasonable Mass FFL should accept these too since they don't fall under the AWB as they don't have a detachable magazine

Sadly, PSA has a "no sales to MA, PERIOD" rule. I've never been dinged when using a MA billing address and a NH shipping address. I have my LGS calling them to see if they can backdoor the transfer to save on fees, but my guess is they won't bend.

So yes, any MA FFL will accept it, but it seems like PSA won't send to the state, hence the need to stop at an FFL in NH or some other free state.

Sadly, PSA has a "no sales to MA, PERIOD" rule. I've never been dinged when using a MA billing address and a NH shipping address. I have my LGS calling them to see if they can backdoor the transfer to save on fees, but my guess is they won't bend.

So yes, any MA FFL will accept it, but it seems like PSA won't send to the state, hence the need to stop at an FFL in NH or some other free state.

Somehow I skimmed over the PSA part. Yep, F them

Somehow I skimmed over the PSA part. Yep, F them

Sucks because they do have what I consider to be some great products for the price point. Hard to hate them, when really the hate should be directed at the Fur Healey

Sucks because they do have what I consider to be some great products for the price point. Hard to hate them, when really the hate should be directed at the Fur Healey

Some of it, but PSA won't ship anything at all to Mass, even parts kits, uppers, etc that aren't banned at all. They took the cowards approach unlike Target Sports that follows all laws and ships us ammo. Amazon has done the same thing too and won't ship most pocket knives to Mass.

Lots of places hate MA. And I do also! But stuck here for now.

PSA won’t ship a sticker to MA

Cosmoline sucks. I got an un-fired yugo a few years back from a NES group buy.

What a pain in the ass to clean it!

I got my SKS in a NES group buy and the cleaning took about 90 minutes. Disassemble, dunk metal parts in mineral spirits, wipe with a rag, done.

I got my SKS in a NES group buy and the cleaning took about 90 minutes. Disassemble, dunk metal parts in mineral spirits, wipe with a rag, done.

Did not have a big enough bin.

I soaked some of the parts for a few days. Still had cosmoline on them.

Mineral spirits is not the best solvent. Should have just used gas like they did in the day.

Lol I hadn't thought to use gas, but now I am inspired. Somehow I think it would make Boris proud

Another easy way to remove cosmoline from an SKS is to toss a half a roll of non-printed paper towels in a black heavy duty garbage bag (contractor bags are best) and wrap it up tightly (making sure it can't leak out) and put it in the back window area of your car. Then drive down to Mexico and pick up some Peyote buttons and mescal.
By the time you get back the paper towels will be full and the rifle empty of cosmoline. Worked three times so far...
~Enbloc

Note
: The above has been embellished for effect. Only a quarter-roll of paper towels is required.

Last edited:
Hell I bought one cash and carry from a shop in Maine and I'm a mass resident.

Hell I bought one cash and carry from a shop in Maine and I'm a mass resident.
I should clarify, you CAN drive to NH/other free state and buy cash and carry. I just always get a delay and so it’s much easier for me to pay the shipping and double transfer than make a 2+ hour drive, each way, twice.

It's easy to clean. Boil a ton of water in stock pots. While the water is heating get a large rubber made container in the garage ready and field strip the rifle.....put everything in the bin. Pour boiling water into the bin. Consoline melts and floats to the surface. Remove the rifle and give it a basic cleaning and good oiling. Done.

So many people bitch about cosmoline.....and the technique I just described is actually how the military removes f***ing cosmoline. It's friggin easy.

It's easy to clean. Boil a ton of water in stock pots. While the water is heating get a large rubber made container in the garage ready and field strip the rifle.....put everything in the bin. Pour boiling water into the bin. Consoline melts and floats to the surface. Remove the rifle and give it a basic cleaning and good oiling. Done.

So many people bitch about cosmoline.....and the technique I just described is actually how the military removes f***ing cosmoline. It's friggin easy.
I used a variation of this using a wallpaper steamer. Cosmoline just dripped off my SKS.

Another easy way to remove cosmoline from an SKS is to toss a half a roll of non-printed paper towels in a black heavy duty garbage bag (contractor bags are best) and wrap it up tightly (making sure it can't leak out) and put it in the back window area of your car. Then drive down to Mexico and pick up some Peyote buttons and mescal.
By the time you get back the paper towels will be full and the rifle empty of cosmoline. Worked three times so far...
~Enbloc

Note
: The above has been embellished for effect. Only a quarter-roll of paper towels is required.
The trash bag/paper towels in car method is what I used for the stock on mine; mineral spirits for the metal. Quite easy.
IMG_20160918_171816.jpg
SKS.jpg

Always thought the military used big baths of gasoline...

Always thought the military used big baths of gasoline...
Used to get replacement machine gun barrels into the csms all the time.......packed in Cosmo and vacuum sealed in heavy plastic. Hot water is how the armorers cleared the Cosmoline off of them. That's where I learned how to do it with boiling water. I've de cosmolined 3 of my own rifles now......takes less than an hour using the rubber made container and boiling water (including the regular cleaning and re assembly after the boiling water) and there isnt even a trace of Cosmoline left on the rifle.

Last edited:
A little research says you are all correct, water and wood is not a good mix. So hot/boiling water and light solvents for the metal bits, gentle 150-175 heat and lots of wiping for the wood. Trash bag/towels idea seems to be inline with that.

Back
Top Bottom