MuzzleLoader Laws... Not sure if this one is legal. Any insight appreciated.

Want:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB6zPp2WnX4

Not sure if the ignition system is legal for hunting in MA. It seems to meet all the regulations. I would consider this to be an "in line" muzzle loader. The bold part of the regulations I think is what would make it lawful. But - this muzzle loader does not use 209 primers (underlined). So that's where a little confusion is coming in for me.

I intend to buy this only for use as a hunting muzzle loader. so legal compliance is important. I could contact the state Division of Fish and Wildlife - but I doubt they would provide a definitive answer. That's like asking your local beat cop about gun laws....

Regulations:

1. During the "primitive firearms" (muzzleloader) part of the open deer season, muzzle-loading primitive firearms must be of a type similar to those in common use during the mid-1800s, and which meet the following criteria:

(a) loaded from the muzzle,
(b) fired from the shoulder,
(c) has either a caplock or flintlock ignition system. So-called "in-line" ignition systems which have a horizontal firing mechanism instead of a traditional hammer system are lawful, provided they meet all other provisions of these requirements;
(d) may be either rifled bore or smoothbore,
(e) is of a caliber not less than .44 nor greater than .775,
(f) has a barrel length of 18 inches or longer,
(g) is used only with black powder or a synthetic substance such as "Pyrodex" which is approved for competitive muzzle-loading shoots by the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association,
(h) contains only one usable barrel; in the case of primitive firearms with double barrels, one barrel shall be made inoperative by removal of the nipple and hammer,
(i) is used with only a single lead projectile, including a round ball, pumpkin ball, Minie or Maxi bullet, or other spherical or conical projectile (i.e., no buckshot). Sabot rounds are lawful, regardless of composition, as are jacketed or belted projectiles,
(j) muzzle-loading firearms which use shotgun (209) primers are lawful, provided that the firearm meets all other provisions of these requirements;
(k) conventional sights, including telescopic sights, are lawful on muzzle-loading firearms; however, laser sights or any other sights which project a beam are unlawful.
(l) firearms with a break-open ("hinge action") breech are lawful.

Seems compliant to me. Is the benefit of the rifle increased pressure tolerances, for stouter loads? The priming doesn't seem any more simpler than loading a 209 primer.

I like the idea of loading the cartridge casing as opposed to a primer. Especially with gloves on. It really lays the smack down like Thor's hammer. No blow back, easier cleaning, the cartridge cases can be re-primed again and again and again.... I'm digging it.

It seems legal to me as well but I am not an EPO. I would send an email into DFW to get a written response. IIRC there is at least one other muzzleloader that use this same priming system.

I can see an EPO getting hung up on the fact that it is a bolt action system for the primer.

Bob

Yea I just know what their response would be... either we're not lawyers and can't answer questions about our own regulations... o_O Or no - it's not legal because we don't want to say it is and have it come back at us... Even though it seems there are no prohibitions and it fulfills all the requirements of an inline muzzle loader.

Isn't the guy who runs DFW now a former GOAL board member (Ronald Amidon)? Wondering if I should just go right to the top and ask him...

It seems legal to me as well but I am not an EPO. I would send an email into DFW to get a written response. IIRC there is at least one other muzzleloader that use this same priming system.

I can see an EPO getting hung up on the fact that it is a bolt action system for the primer.

Bob

The Savage ML-II has a bolt action, you stick the primer in there.

IANAL, but I'd say as long as the powder and bullet go in the muzzle you're "loading from the muzzle", and you are utilizing a "horizontal ignition system".

you've got black powder, a bullet, and can load and fire one single shot before reloading.

I cant see where you are not in compliance with the regs.....you're not required to use 209 primers, only that they are lawful when used. Primer type doesnt seem to be specified other than that.

Is this ONLY a muzzleloader, or can you pop a regular round in there and fire it? If so, that might be where you get jammed up.

I guess ask yourself, is this Massachusetts? If this rifle screams FUN....you're screwed.
I know I started off this post all positive, but then I remembered where I was...

Last edited:
It's just another cap loader with a patented method for holding the cap. No different than a T/C Omega that drops the breech via the trigger guard to insert the 209 cap into a different style of patented holder.

(The Ultimate™ Ignition System uses l9 1/2 large rifle primers and the shell can be reloaded using a .308 dies.)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom