• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

advice for first pistol

Obi2winky

NES Member
Hi all! I have never owned a pistol before (just got LTC this year). I'm considering purchasing my first one this holiday season, and I'd like to get some advice. I have always wanted a 1911 in 45 ACP but my first experience with shooting one a while back was not the best. I may have developed a flinch. Also, I'd like to eventually try IDPA type events. Am I better off finding a modern design 9mm as my first or should i just gitgud with a 1911?
thanks!

It depends on so many things... Budget, use (range, home defense, carry etc), personal preference and so on. The best tip I can give you is to rent and buy what you shoot best, contact Cloverleaf firearms group or any other of the reputable instructors here, to help you to avoid bad habits right from the start.

Draco.

HG1916-N-1-large.jpg

Just kidding.

The first handgun I shot was a Ruger Mark II during gun safety class. The first handgun I bought was a 1911 my second was a Ruger Mark III in hindsight I would have made the purchases in the opposite order.

What's the best gun for you? It depends on so many things it's difficult to say without knowing a lot about you.

Budget is at <500. The holiday sales make it possible for me to have some options despite that.
I intend it to be a trainer gun at the range and maybe try the IDPA thing. Sounds like, with just about anything, practice practice practice.

Hi all! I have never owned a pistol before (just got LTC this year). I'm considering purchasing my first one this holiday season, and I'd like to get some advice. I have always wanted a 1911 in 45 ACP but my first experience with shooting one a while back was not the best. I may have developed a flinch. Also, I'd like to eventually try IDPA type events. Am I better off finding a modern design 9mm as my first or should i just gitgud with a 1911?
thanks!

I love 1911's, but I wouldn't recommend one for a first gun. And I wouldn't go buy a gun just because they're on sale this weekend. There are SO many choices out there, and what's right for me isn't right for you. I carry Glocks and shoot them in IDPA/USPSA. My wife HATES my Glocks. She shoots Sigs. She just bought a Sig 320. I can shoot that pistol just fine, she still hates my Glocks.

Go to a range, shoot as many different guns as you can get your hands on, find the one you like. You can buy a used pistol in good condition for the same kind of money as you can do on a sale this weekend.

allen-1 just gave you some great advice. The only thing I'll add is shoot a .22. If you like it, either start with that or buy a centerfire and a .22 conversion kit.

My advice would be to plan out what you want out of it and then build towards it.

A .22 is a good choice. (Economical training and minimal recoil) but if you want a home defense pistol you would still have a "next" gun to buy

A 9 mm is good (cheaper training than 45 and less recoil) and there are a lot of options. Pick one you actually like. I got a SR9 and it is objectively "fine" but to me it's like an econobox sedan (100% functional but I spend 0 time thinking about how I like it)

I enjoy my .45 1911 but not unhappy that it was my 3rd pistol. I think it is great but probably not the best first gun for someone to learn on. However if that is just going to sit in the back of your mind as what you really all ways wanted then it IS your money and for your use/enjoyment. Do figure out why you want it though because I know some say 1911s can have reliability issues which might detract from trying out IDPA. (Don't take my word, I don't do IDPA or compete with 1911s ever in any circumstances)

The order I bought was .22 9mm .45

As a tack on if you have a specific interest do ferret out who is the best sources on here and weight their advice heavier. So just sharing my experience but 75%+ of what I shoot is trap so take that for what it is.

Get a used SR22 to start and then sell it when you are wanting to move up (if you are tight on cash). If you decide to go with a 9mm or 45 first, you might want to go with one that is more carry friendly (like a S&w shield or M&p in your price range) but keep in mind that you will need to put aside $100 or so for a decent belt and holster.

Get a used SR22 to start and then sell it when you are wanting to move up (if you are tight on cash). If you decide to go with a 9mm or 45 first, you might want to go with one that is more carry friendly (like a S&w shield or M&p in your price range) but keep in mind that you will need to put aside $100 or so for a decent belt and holster.
I wouldn't buy a "small" carry gun like the sheild as a first. A compact version of a full-sized maybe (like sr9 vs sr9c or m&p vs m&p compact). Or the ever popular Glock 19.

Start out with a .22? he is a grown man not a child.

I would advise something in 9mm. Ammo is very cheap.. much cheaper than .45

Also if it is only going to be a range gun sure get a 1911, if you plan on carrying it I would look elsewhere.

Just for a moment, let's say the only gun you could lay hands on, was a {insert whatever here}
It's all you're ever going to have, and it comes with 4000 lbs of one kind of ammo.

But, this is still America, and you can pretty much get what you want.
Go to a rental range, shoot as many different configurations as your wallet will allow.
Take it from there.
And yeah, don't flinch.

I got a 45 1911 as my first one and started flinching with that, its easy to get over though if you just practise. If i had to do things over I would probably do the same again, I dont really like the triggers on the plastic stuff. In terms of IDPA / USPSA you will be in a different division from the 9mm guys anyway. You are at a disadvantage for steel challenge though.

I would recommend a mid-full size striker pistol in whatever flavor you like best. I’m partial to glocks due to their ubiquity and the presence of standard capacity magazines. Tons of sites and holsters to choose from and parts are cheap. 9mm is the best option as a first pistol. The G19 does every job pretty well.

You can pick up a gen 3-5 Glock for about $600 if you’re savvy. If you reallly don’t want to break your budget a Springfield XD might be a good choice, although parts and accessories are fewer and there aren’t prebans. From what I hear the triggers are nice too.

Purchase a 6inch barreled 22lr revolver and practice, practice, practice. Learn the basics - proper grip, stance, trigger control, breathing and sight alignment. Get rid of your flinch/anticipation by practicing. Shooting a low recoil 22lr revolver will help you with this. It is also cheep to shoot and will force you into good trigger control because of the heavy double action pull of a revolver trigger.
Once you feel comfortable that the flinch/anticipation is gone and you have developed good basics go out and purchase a 9mm pistol like a Glock or M&P and go back to the range and practice, practice, practice then sign up for an IDPA Match you will be ready. Later on put a 1911 on your guns to get list everyone should have at least one 1911.

I started with a Ruger sr9c. Then got the sr22 as an impulse buy. Wanted to move up to 45 acp so I got a Ruger 1911, couldn't pass up the price, my favorite so far. Wanted a wheel gun and made another impulse buy, a Charter Arms .357 snub nose, not so much fun.

Canik tp9sf is a great first gun. 9mm and size of a g17. Very nice trigger, soft shooting, easy to shoot accurately and great price. <$400. 100% reliable for me as well. G19 always a good choice but since you mentioned LTC I’m assuming mass. Gonna cost you more even if you know the secret handshake.

Before i bought my first gun i went to hudson, nh to a range (cant remember the name) to try out guns. They had 1 fee for any gun in the same caliber. So i tried out multiple guns in 9mm.

I believe your first gun should be a jack of all trades (conceal, home defense and range toy), which is why i settled on 9mm.

$500 and 45. You may want to consider the shield in 45. I love my shield so i may be biased. I recommend checking out youtube for reviews and as i said, find a range and try out what feels good to you.

I also agree that you should stay away from .22 unless you only want to go the range.

Given your budget, what you are interested in doing with it and the fact you are in Mass (didn't notice where in MA):
I would at least consider this (at four seasons):

Buy a Smith & Wesson M&P Range Kit and get an instant $50 rebate
$499.95 before rebate.
$449.95 after the in-store rebate

Blade-Tech® Kydex® Holster, Blade-Tech® Double Magazine Pouch, Maglula Uplula™ Speed Loader and 3 mags.
Its enough to get you going.

Factor in either a free state trigger assembly (under $20 if i recall correctly), or some sort of Apex trigger kit ($90 - $150 or so depending on model)

Given your budget, what you are interested in doing with it and the fact you are in Mass (didn't notice where in MA):
I would at least consider this (at four seasons):

Buy a Smith & Wesson M&P Range Kit and get an instant $50 rebate
$499.95 before rebate.
$449.95 after the in-store rebate

Blade-Tech® Kydex® Holster, Blade-Tech® Double Magazine Pouch, Maglula Uplula™ Speed Loader and 3 mags.
Its enough to get you going.

Factor in either a free state trigger assembly (under $20 if i recall correctly), or some sort of Apex trigger kit ($90 - $150 or so depending on model)
An M&P compact was my first gun. I wouldn't recommend it, there is a G17 in the classifieds right now for $450, just get that or a G19 instead. For the record, I later bought glocks and I've since sold them and still have an M&P compact, but I think that the prebans make the glocks much more appealing if that is your only gun.

My first gun 20 yrs ago was a 1911, wouldn't change that. Years later bought a DA striker 9mm and flinched because the pull was so long I could watch a movie. Buy what you want and if you flinch, shoot at steel to get comfortable and then move to paper. Buy for the range then for carry. I dont carry my 1911's alot but they are my favorites and do make the rotation, not so much in the summer.

In the words of Chuck Yeager, "It's the man, not the machine." Pistols, along with all other firearms, are simply the interface we need to deliver our cartridge of choice.

Pistols are significantly more difficult to master than either rifles or shotguns, because they have the least support when fired. Further, what works well for one person may not work well for the next, as hand size, body type, visual acuity, etc. vary for each individual. Everything is a compromise, there is no such thing as a perfect firearm.

I teach my students to focus on developing the fundamentals first. Once you have progressed enough to pass whatever standards best apply, you will better be able to select the best tool for the job. Strive for mastery, and remember collecting tends to delay or even stunt progress.

The best way to develop within your budget is to find an excellent instructor or coach who is passionate about teaching. Consider attending competitions as a spectator (many are open to the public). This will give you opportunities to meet and learn from some of the finest people in your area, I'm always learning every time I make it to an event. Also, as a spectator you will not have the stress or tunnel vision you may sometimes develop as a competitor.

To develop you will need to learn how to dry-fire. Dry-fire drills are essential, much more so than range time. I am routinely able to take absolute beginners from a home firearm safety class to passing a 50 round LE qualification test with a score of 96% or better, sometimes with their first 50 rounds ever fired from a pistol. This is the result of one or two sessions involving several hours of dry-fire drills.

Range time is precious. Live fire is fun! However rounds expended without working towards a goal that is specific, measurable, achievable, and timed are still rounds wasted. Always record your results in a range or training journal.

What would I buy? Something that challenges me as a shooter and helps me focus on the fundamentals.
- a design that lets me grip up high under the slide like a 1911, S&W M&P, or a CZ.
- an excellent 4-6# trigger with a clean break, and discernible reset
- tall, well defined iron sights, preferably black. S&W M&P pistols come with great iron sights.
- a high quality holster that lets me get an excellent firing grip before the pistol starts to leave the holster.
- a stiff, quality belt that keeps the holster from shifting, allowing for a smooth, consistent draw stroke.

Wait, not a simple "buy this" response? You expressed an interest in training and competition, these require that the firearm functions as part of a system.

What do I use?

Duty Sidearm/Competition- S&W M&P 45 4.5", TLR-1s, Safariland 6360 (mid-ride), Safariland dual mag carrier, 1.75" Wilderness Instructor Belt w/ polymer/kydex insert.

IWB EDC- S&W E-Series 1911SC (45ACP), CompTac Minotaur, CompTac IWB spare mag carrier, 1.75" C-clips, 1.75" Wilderness Instructor Belt w/ 5-Stitch reinforcement.

Summer Appendix Carry- Sig 938 (9mm) in custom kydex using CompTac 1.75" C-clips and raven concealment vanguard claw.

Winter Appendix Carry- CZ P-01 (9mm) in custom kydex using CompTac 1.75" C-clips and raven concealment vanguard claw.

The M&P has a BEC trigger, the CZ has a modified trigger and thin grips, otherwise everything is stock. I've found the above has worked well for me over the past 10 years, be patient and you will find systems that work for you without dumping thousands in a collection or "budget" dead-ends.

Consider attending competitions as a spectator (many are open to the public). This will give you opportunities to meet and learn from some of the finest people in your area, I'm always learning every time I make it to an event. Also, as a spectator you will not have the stress or tunnel vision you may sometimes develop as a competitor.

That's great idea. I think there's a competition tomorrow at Harvard. I've been wanting to join that range so it would be good to go watch. Thank you for the suggestion!

Learn to shoot (and lose your flinch) with a good quality .22 . Once your fundimentals are down, you'll easily move into whatever caliber /handgun you choose.
If you can't learn to hit it with a .22, you'll never learn with a 45.

Back
Top Bottom