• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Buying Preban rifles out of state

Is it still legal to purchase preban rifles (AK or AR) from out of state and have them transferred through a MA FFL?

What MachineHead said. Just buy the rifle out of state. It still needs to be Mass compliant (pinned stock, no flash hider, no bayonet lug, etc).

Thanks guys. I figured pre 94 were still good to go but wanted to confirm.
This is an online purchase and not something I was picking up at a NH gun store or something of the like, just to clarify for earlier posts.

Thanks guys. I figured pre 94 were still good to go but wanted to confirm.
This is an online purchase and not something I was picking up at a NH gun store or something of the like, just to clarify for earlier posts.

The only problem you may encounter is FFLs (both sending and receiving) refusing to deal with someone from MA thinking the AG will swoop down on them on her broom. So make sure both sender and receiver are OK with the transaction prior to buying.

The only problem you may encounter is FFLs (both sending and receiving) refusing to deal with someone from MA thinking the AG will swoop down on them on her broom. So make sure both sender and receiver are OK with the transaction prior to buying.

This, there are so many remotes that shit their pants about MA I would just assume do this with a willing NH FFL instead if the gun was
far away and needed shipment, that way there is no "OH MA GERD UR FROM MA!" cooties horeshit about it. The less the remotes know, the better.

-Mike

I had a similar question and was going to make a new post but figured I'd add on to this instead.

If a NH resident wants to give me some AR lowers and a complete AR am I able to accept them and if so how would I go about it. I'm not sure if they pre Healey ban or if there is a receipt to prove they were bought pre Healey ban. If you don't want to post it publicly fee free to PM me.

I had a similar question and was going to make a new post but figured I'd add on to this instead.

If a NH resident wants to give me some AR lowers and a complete AR am I able to accept them and if so how would I go about it. I'm not sure if they pre Healey ban or if there is a receipt to prove they were bought pre Healey ban. If you don't want to post it publicly fee free to PM me.

All frames/lowers MUST be transferred by a MA FFL per Fed Law, and due to the AG BS MA FFLs are on notice by the AG not to do any such transfers. AG is reviewing all FA-10s generated by MA Dealers and they get phone calls from the AG's office if they spot something "questionable", so it is a no-go.

Fed Law mandates that no FTF transfers between 2 people who do not live in the same state. So if you find a NH FFL willing to do the transfer, do it, do NOT post/talk about it and when you come home to MA just eFA-10 it as "registration" with NO INFO on the source of the gun.

There is no FA-10 on a lower/receiver so nothing for the AG to review and get her panties in a bunch about
All frames/lowers MUST be transferred by a MA FFL per Fed Law, and due to the AG BS MA FFLs are on notice by the AG not to do any such transfers. AG is reviewing all FA-10s generated by MA Dealers and they get phone calls from the AG's office if they spot something "questionable", so it is a no-go.

Fed Law mandates that no FTF transfers between 2 people who do not live in the same state. So if you find a NH FFL willing to do the transfer, do it, do NOT post/talk about it and when you come home to MA just eFA-10 it as "registration" with NO INFO on the source of the gun.

So if you find a NH FFL willing to do the transfer, do it, do NOT post/talk about it and when you come home to MA just eFA-10 it as "registration" with NO INFO on the source of the gun.

How would that work with the AGs latest interpretation? Does that allow post ban receivers which were in someone's possession out of state to be transferred in provided they were owned pre-7/20?

I guess this means that the AG is not reviewing eFA-10s that are 'self-reported'?

If the weapon were manufactured post 7/20, I'm not sure how this isn't an admission of wrongdoing - operating on the assumption that the AGs assertion of AWB definitions is correct. IANAL, nor am I in law enforcement, so I am probably overthinking. Did I misunderstand something?

How would that work with the AGs latest interpretation? Does that allow post ban receivers which were in someone's possession out of state to be transferred in provided they were owned pre-7/20?

You are ignoring my first paragraph in what I stated. I'm talking about guns, not frames/receivers.

I guess this means that the AG is not reviewing eFA-10s that are 'self-reported'?

If the weapon were manufactured post 7/20, I'm not sure how this isn't an admission of wrongdoing - operating on the assumption that the AGs assertion of AWB definitions is correct. IANAL, nor am I in law enforcement, so I am probably overthinking. Did I misunderstand something?

If she went after individuals, since there is no law to back up her BS, she risks having her entire house of cards collapse under questioning by a competent firearms attorney. So my guess is that she isn't reviewing FTF FA-10s. This is why she is maneuvering to have the cases dropped on procedural grounds and avoid a real hearing in court where her opposition gets to point out that she is full of crap.

Nobody in LE that I've spoken with believes her BS to be "law" and thus aren't touching this stuff, period.

You are ignoring my first paragraph in what I stated. I'm talking about guns, not frames/receivers.

Fair, stated differently and to make it a clean example. Massified AR was purchased new in NH with serial and 4473/sales receipt that proves build and transfer pre-7/20 to someone in NH. Ordinary MA citizen drives to NH FFL to purchase and then completes the eFA-10 upon returning to MA within 7 days. Good to go?

I guess a frame/receiver would follow similar logic, but would require a MA FFL who won't touch it I'd assume unless it's a dedicated, from the factory, rimfire receiver (don't know if that's even a thing).

Fair, stated differently and to make it a clean example. Massified AR was purchased new in NH with serial and 4473/sales receipt that proves build and transfer pre-7/20 to someone in NH. Ordinary MA citizen drives to NH FFL to purchase and then completes the eFA-10 upon returning to MA within 7 days. Good to go?

I guess a frame/receiver would follow similar logic, but would require a MA FFL who won't touch it I'd assume unless it's a dedicated, from the factory, rimfire receiver (don't know if that's even a thing).

Per MGL, GTG. Per the rabid AG, NG.

Frames aren't built by caliber usually unless a proprietary design (e.g. S&W 15-22).

OK - I "think" I know the answer to this but thought I would throw it out and get some responses.

I purchased a non-MA compliant 9mm RRA AR style rifle out of state in Dec '13, had it "Massified" by pinning the stock and welding the barrel. If I were to choose to bring it back to MA and register it on a FA10 will I be in compliance or will the AG be beating my door down in the middle of the night?

Thanks to everyone who responds.

BB2

Nobody's door has been beaten down yet and I don't expect it to happen.

However her edict was that it had to be possessed in MA prior to her diarrhea of the mouth press conference, so it wouldn't comply with that.

Fed law used to allow it, until the ATF added a third category "frame/receiver" to the 4473, thus making the stripped lowers no longer in the "long gun" category allowed for out of state purchases.

An out of state dealer may sell an out of state resident only those long guns that the person could legally buy in his/her state of residence.

Contacted my local FFL to verify that they would transfer a pre 94 ban AR from out of state. They verified the serial # so I then bought a pre 94 ban AR through gun broker. Easy Peasy. And you get to have all the extra stuff that's "so dangerous"

Back
Top Bottom