• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

The police spent 18 hours blowing up this man’s house to catch a shoplifter update post 23 cops owe no money for damages

mikeyp

NES Member
The original story is a few years old, I did a search for the shoplifters name(Seacat) but didn't find anything, holy hell

Co_Fa5zVMAEUKb7.jpg
http://rare.us/rare-politics/rare-l...ing-up-this-mans-house-to-catch-a-shoplifter/

"...such as a treasured ring and a family heirloom that survived World War II in Italy but not the Greenwood Village SWAT team."

aaaahahahahahaa.
(sorry, that's not funny, really)

Private property taken for public use ("public safety" in this instance, rather than a school or road or whatever). Requires just compensation under the Fifth. Done.

When can I collect my fee as the brilliant attorney that I am? :p

I imagine that before it was a nice house, but once you let drug addicted cops do their thing in the name of "justice" they turn it into looking like a crack house.

Which is probably what it is now after it got condemned.

I've never used real explosives before, but I have used fireworks if that's what the house looks like after 18 hours of use they should be embarrassed. I feel like I could've taken the house down with m80's and quarter sticks in that time

The article doesn't mention that the "shoplifter" was armed and out of his mind on meth, took a kid hostage (the plaintiffs grandson, who escaped early in the standoff), and fired on police with his own weapon before locating more weapons in the house and firing some more... This wasn't keystone cops chasing him around like the Blues Brothers driving through a mall. They followed their training, explicitly, by blowing out walls to expose and corner the guy.

**** the town for offering $5k to fix the house, but let's not pretend these are buffoons who negligently trashed the place.

Leaving out those kind of details to me is as dishonest as a picture of Trayvon Martin at 12 years old, or putting pictures of AR15s with chainsaws on them as headlines.

The article doesn't mention that the "shoplifter" was armed and out of his mind on meth, took a kid hostage (the plaintiffs grandson, who escaped early in the standoff), and fired on police with his own weapon before locating more weapons in the house and firing some more... This wasn't keystone cops chasing him around like the Blues Brothers driving through a mall. They followed their training, explicitly, by blowing out walls to expose and corner the guy.

**** the town for offering $5k to fix the house, but let's not pretend these are buffoons who negligently trashed the place.

Leaving out those kind of details to me is as dishonest as a picture of Trayvon Martin at 12 years old, or putting pictures of AR15s with chainsaws on them as headlines.
Which is totally fine. Who covers the expense of the cops destroying his house? Obviously $5k is laughable, and if I knew that was going to happen to my house I would clear it myself. Do you think the cops would have let me do that? No, so I would have to sit there and watch Barney Fife, "the combat engineer wannabe", wreck my castle because some tweaker was hiding in it. Laughable.

So the home owner was told to "Wait here, we are professionals, there is a meth head with a pistol. WE GOT THIS!!!" They completely total his house and then say "You're welcome, we got the bad guy off the street, here is $5K that should cover your front door.

Actually the OP does say the gun and fired, but shots weren't proven

Seacat was known to have one gun on him, and officers claimed he shot at them, but after the fact, investigators didn’t find evidence he’d fired that weapon or the two other guns that were already in the house.

Pretty sure they could have pumped that place full of enough CS to either make him give up or choke to death over an 18 hour period without destroying the place.
It might not have been as fun though.
Think they would have gone that route if the dude was hold up in the Mayors house ?

It reminds me of a typical scene in a superhero movie where the hero destroys the entire store while stopping the bad guy from robbing the cash register.

What article were you reading? Paragraph 2 from the OP's link.

Seacat was known to have one gun on him, and officers claimed he shot at them, but after the fact, investigators didn’t find evidence he’d fired that weapon or the two other guns that were already in the house. That’s perhaps because, as would later be discovered when police eventually took Seacat into custody, he was by that time probably feeling awful, as he had allegedly swallowed a container of methamphetamine that began to leak into his body.

Colorado homeowner owed nothing after police SWAT shootout destroys his house, federal court rules

A federal appeals court in Colorado ruled Tuesday that a local police department does not have to compensate a homeowner whose house was destroyed by 19 hours of gunfire between officers and an armed shoplifting suspect who had chosen to barricade himself inside to evade arrest.
Judges on the U.S. District Court of Appeals for the 10th Circuit upheld a lower court’s decision, ruling that the city of Greenwood Village, near Denver, did not owe homeowner Leo Lech any additional compensation, even though the suspect was a stranger to the homeowner, the Denver Post reported.

Colorado homeowner owed nothing after police SWAT shootout destroys his house, federal court rules

A federal appeals court in Colorado ruled Tuesday that a local police department does not have to compensate a homeowner whose house was destroyed by 19 hours of gunfire between officers and an armed shoplifting suspect who had chosen to barricade himself inside to evade arrest.
Judges on the U.S. District Court of Appeals for the 10th Circuit upheld a lower court’s decision, ruling that the city of Greenwood Village, near Denver, did not owe homeowner Leo Lech any additional compensation, even though the suspect was a stranger to the homeowner, the Denver Post reported.

Jesus Christ... That would be my go-time.

Back
Top Bottom