.45 Compact for Carry..Recommendations?

Why limit yourself with a .45? Pretty much what Mike said. I have seen and trained countless caliber nazis that couldn’t shoot their favorite firearm and caliber / any caliber to save their lives. Also, starring at a target at 5 yards and squizing the trigger every 30 seconds with your edc doesn’t count as shooting. Too many shooters focus on gear and items sprinkled with unicorn jizz to improve something that doesn’t exist.

Last edited:
Not everyone does IWB. OWB a short barrel makes a big difference. For instance xd mod 2 3". Double stack capacity but short enough to easily go owb.
I'm confused ...other than weight how does 3" off the muzzle end make a 1911 more concealed? The grip and rear of frame still sits above the waist the same.
I carried a 1911 for years but finally got my mitts around double stack thick grip....points so much more natural than the thin single stack grips. Now im looking into some better fitting grips for my 1911.

My favorite small carry gun is my SW 38 airweight. Easy pocket carry

What's wrong with .45 when you're talking about single stack EDCs and engagement ranges probably in feet?

Nothing wrong at all. Too many fantasize that they need a John Wick ammo count as some sort of irrational safety blanket.

While I agree that one should not shoot more gun than can be kept on target, I find practice at 7 to 10 yards more about the draw, familiarity, and smooth operation. Keeping it in the center bull let alone on target at this distance is not a particular challenge, whether shooting 9mm or 45.

OP was interested in .45, inevitible that NESers would criticize. Most of the time I just grab my pocket holstered G43. If I feel so inclined, I'll IWB carry a 45. If I need to make a late night ATM withdrawal in downtown Worcester, I'm inclined to carry the 45. While the energy data between the two really isn't that different for 'modern' SD ammo, upon impact the 45 is going to transfer more energy to the target and create a bigger wound channel. OK, so that's retarded. So is thinking you need to carry 30 rounds.

Oh, are there any Black Friday specials on unicorn jizz? I hear it's better than Frog Lube...

You're looking for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
Take the money you would have wasted on a .45 and buy a few cases of 9mm and a shot timer instead. You'll thank me later.
ETA: I have a self admitted bias- I think any .45 smaller than a G30 is kinda f***ing stupid, although the XDs .45 is at least passable, but it's still generally a stupid idea....To qualify my statement a bit- I carried an HK USPc .45 for awhile, as well as two different .45 ACP LWT Colt Officer's mods. At least in the latter case I figured out doing so was pretty retarded, but it took a long time for me to cross that bridge...
If you're bored and want a Sub .45 just go buy it- but please don't make excuses for it about how its radically better or something- because it isn't. You're basically selling yourself on a lie. If you're going to buy one do it because you want to- and nothing else. -Mike
Hmmm...I actually shoot my 9mm's great, but I guess maybe I've been reading too damned much about stopping power of .45 over 9mm...Interestingly, someone else PM'd me and said almost EXACTLY what you said. ("Shoot more 9 and get better and forget about 45.."etc). But in all honesty, I shoot HST 9mm through all my guns and have become dead accurate with them....
I just figured "Time to buy another carry gun, so I might as well go .45 the for 'better stopping power'.."
Buying into the 45 hype?

I'm thinking of bumping up to a .45 compact for Every Day Carry....Suggestions? Your experiences?...gotta be compact, as the clothing I wear on my job restricts my choices somewhat....currently a G26 is my EDC, along with the G43 mouse in pocket.
Your thoughts?

If you can conceal a G26, then you can conceal a .45 Shield. I compared my .45 Shield against my 10-round G27 (same size as G26), and the length is just about the same, but the Shield is thinner. The Shield extended mag is about 1/4" longer at the front and about 5/8" longer at the rear over the G26/27. As everyone has said, the Shield is a great shooter. In the cooler weather though, I go with the G27 or G30S.

I should have mentioned that the Shield is easy to pocket carry as well. I'm not debating which round is better, but a small 9mm gun will be as snappy or snappier than a .45 Shield.

Last edited:
Another vote here for the Shield 45.
I got one last Spring during the big rebate, paid $299 and then got back a check for $75.
I didn't really need it, but it was too cheap to pass up such a deal.
I wasn't expecting much for the money, but was very surprised at how well it shot.
Decent accuracy and softer shooting than I expected from such a lightweight gun.
It also functioned flawlessly with a slew of different reloads of varying power levels from 185 gr. LSWC to 225 gr. JHP's.

Back
Top Bottom