• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hopkinton NH: Hunter Shot Woman Riding Bike on Trail

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
I have been through that area many times over the years. Actually the fishing in that area is very good......shhhhhh.....anyway, my God its a heavily used recreational area. If you are gonna hunt there you simply have to know that the odds of seeing humans is almost a certainty. I cut no slack for dopes with guns. I hope he is charged, and severely as well. These are NOT accidents.

That area, once you get off 89, straddles 2 units. Either way, I'm fairly certain its buck only in both of them right now so WTF was he shooting at....

Negligence. I hate hearing these stories. Hunters have a hard enough time getting access to land and these stories make it much worse.

Be careful out there guys.

Need details. We read this and think it was an idiot that mistook a bike for a deer, which is criminally stupid.

Don't forget, we are ALWAYS painted with a broad brush to look bad. All it says it that she was shot, and she was a biker. So we draw the conclusion that he's an ignorant buffoon, and she's a victim.

May I offer some other scenarios?

1) She was far away and accidentally hit since the hunter didn't check what was behind his target - bad on him.
2) She was slinking through the woods to drop a deuce and wearing camo, and he didn't see her - bad on him, but not TOO bad, and she's kinda dumb too.
3) Above scenario but he shot noise - criminally stupid on his part.
4) She was an anti-hunting nut who was trying to spear him and he shot in self defense - good shoot.
5) He shot at a bird 1/4 miles away and she got lightly peppered with bird shot and freaked out - tough s**t snowflake, no blood no foul.

If it was scenario 4 or 5, we'll never hear about it again, and hunters will keep a black eye for no reason. I'm believing #5 based on what I'm reading between the lines.

Need details. We read this and think it was an idiot that mistook a bike for a deer, which is criminally stupid.

Don't forget, we are ALWAYS painted with a broad brush to look bad. All it says it that she was shot, and she was a biker. So we draw the conclusion that he's an ignorant buffoon, and she's a victim.

1) She was far away and accidentally hit since the hunter didn't check what was behind his target - bad on him.
2) She was slinking through the woods to drop a deuce and wearing camo, and he didn't see her - bad on him, but not TOO bad, and she's kinda dumb too.
Seriously......
4) She was an anti-hunting nut who was trying to spear him and he shot in self defense - good shoot.
Not a very helpful statement.....
5) He shot at a bird 1/4 miles away and she got lightly peppered with bird shot and freaked out - tough s**t snowflake, no blood no foul.
She was riding a mountain bike, on a mountain bike trail when she was shot. She was not lightly peppered but has suffered a "serious" injury.

If it was scenario 4 or 5, we'll never hear about it again, and hunters will keep a black eye for no reason. I'm believing #5 based on what I'm reading between the lines.

I googled the park....it is a campground and day use picnic area. Also big info on mountain biking trails.....looks like that's the main activity there. As a hunter I avoid the hiking and biking trails like the plague.

I googled the park....it is a campground and day use picnic area. Also big info on mountain biking trails.....looks like that's the main activity there. As a hunter I avoid the hiking and biking trails like the plague.

I don't get why you would even try to hunt in a heavily used recreational area like this.... Bow hunting I can maybe see, but even then with so many people running around game would be scarce. Surely being NH there are better, safer places to hunt?

I don't get why you would even try to hunt in a heavily used recreational area like this.... Bow hunting I can maybe see, but even then with so many people running around game would be scarce. Surely being NH there are better, safer places to hunt?
It would help if we knew what he was hunting...deer or small game. If she got hit with a couple pellets of number 6 shot and freeked out or if she was hit with a rifle projo or buckshot.

I've been pinged by pellets when pheasant hunting. It's a bit disheartening but not the end of the world.

Not excusing the hunter, but there's a reason that, when riding during the season - even in places not (legally) hunted - I look like this:
SCCanUCMeNow.jpg

Unless it was a round that missed it's target, and I sincerely doubt that she was in the wrong place at the wrong split second, the hunter did not know what he was shooting at. You don't just shoot in the direction of a deer or at it, you AIM for the heart and lung area so you need to see EXACTLY what you are shooting at so you can find the proper shot placement.

#2 - Same with when she was at that bar wearing that hot little number and got raped. I mean, rape is wrong, but why would you wear that? You gotta take some of the blame.

While I want to believe your fantasy situations, even #1 is bad for hunters. But #4 is pretty funny. Sorta like jousting with a dirt bike. LOL

when I went out turkey hunting a few weeks ago, I passed 3 women walking on the trail coming out of the woods... all 3 had on blaze orange sweatshirts. Their dogs also had on large orange bandanas/collars.. I politely praised them for being safe and wearing their orange. Helps everybody.

Granted.. news story leaves a lot of holes to fill in.. but IMHO, everyone who has the right to legally use the property should be equally responsible for their safety on the property. Obviously, we know the hunter's responsibilities... but it's the others, who don't think about their own safety. If it's hunting season, and you're a hiker in the woods, wear the orange.. If it's mountain biking season, and you're walking in the woods, be responsible to not walk on the biking trails.. etc..

I see people now biking on main roads after dark.. 5pm-ish.. all dark clothes.. no lights, no reflective vest... shit.. are you begging to be hit by a car.. take some self responsibility for your own safety.. WTF

#2 - Same with when she was at that bar wearing that hot little number and got raped. I mean, rape is wrong, but why would you wear that? You gotta take some of the blame.

While I want to believe your fantasy situations, even #1 is bad for hunters. But #4 is pretty funny. Sorta like jousting with a dirt bike. LOL

No, there is a big difference in #2 and your bar rape scenario. Your scenario shows an illegal act, mine shows a legal act, that could have been preventable by the biker but still puts the blame on the shooter. It is more like running over a kid hiding in a leaf pile - the driver will get the blame, but how can you see a kid in a leaf pile or someone sitting still wearing camo in the woods? Yes, we're supposed to know what's beyond our target, but that is kind of difficult when someone is trying not to be seen.

It's legal to accidentally shoot someone?????

Hoboy. I've totally got an out against my boss, er. . . .asking for a friend.

I know what you're saying. But the # of dumb-hunters and dumb-shooters I've seen, I'd rather see us set pretty damned high standard.

A couple of years ago I went with a buddy to one of the foolish MA Pheasant Releases. (Talk about your social welfare programs!) Anyhoo, one (pheasant, not hunter) was in a tree on the side of the field as we were walking back. 4 guys looking up at it. One guy took aim and shot it out of the tree.

We don't need that sort of hunter in our midst.

I'm not following you on any of this.

Accidents happen, there's negligence on both sides, but we make it seem like we're the only ones at fault. PSGWSP, you want to go bury yourself with an inch of dirt on the berm at a rifle range, not the shooter's fault when you get hit. Do you really check to make sure that someone hasn't done that? Of course not, doing that is more idiotic than my #2 scenario.

And what's wrong with shooting a pheasant out of the tree? I don't do it, but know many who would, and would ground swat a pheasant, too. Don't confuse unspoken sportsmanship with laws, we've got enough laws to tie us up that we don't need to add to them. Some people are just A-holes (by the way, did you know you can swear on this new forum?).

And the anti-hunters aren't going to like us, no matter what we do. So let's stop trying to appease them and tell them to STFU and go play in the street. And put on orange if you're out during hunting season.

It's legal to accidentally shoot someone?????

Hoboy. I've totally got an out against my boss, er. . . .asking for a friend.

I know what you're saying. But the # of dumb-hunters and dumb-shooters I've seen, I'd rather see us set pretty damned high standard.

A couple of years ago I went with a buddy to one of the foolish MA Pheasant Releases. (Talk about your social welfare programs!) Anyhoo, one (pheasant, not hunter) was in a tree on the side of the field as we were walking back. 4 guys looking up at it. One guy took aim and shot it out of the tree.

We don't need that sort of hunter in our midst.

yes the ass clowns do show up during the pheasant stocking season. two years ago I showed up to the parking lot of the wma about 15 minutes before legal shooting time. I was going after squirrel and planned on heading to the woods. There was a truck in the parking lot already. I parked and poured a quick coffee out of my thermos and sat there. Guy gets out.....walks to my window......and says.....that ones mine.....he pointed to a rooster in a tree about 10 yards away from the parking lot. Legal shooting time he loads up......blasts the rooster.....picks it up and throws it in the truck bed and then packs up and drives off. I'm sure he bragged to all his buddies about his successful "hunt" too.

What the f***?

I'm not following you on any of this.

Accidents happen, there's negligence on both sides, but we make it seem like we're the only ones at fault. PSGWSP, you want to go bury yourself with an inch of dirt on the berm at a rifle range, not the shooter's fault when you get hit. Do you really check to make sure that someone hasn't done that? Of course not, doing that is more idiotic than my #2 scenario.

And what's wrong with shooting a pheasant out of the tree? I don't do it, but know many who would, and would ground swat a pheasant, too. Don't confuse unspoken sportsmanship with laws, we've got enough laws to tie us up that we don't need to add to them. Some people are just A-holes (by the way, did you know you can swear on this new forum?).

And the anti-hunters aren't going to like us, no matter what we do. So let's stop trying to appease them and tell them to STFU and go play in the street. And put on orange if you're out during hunting season.
no there is nothing illegal in shooting pheasant out of a tree. he's speaking to the unsporting behavior and the overall "welfare program" of the pheasant stocking program in mass and the guys that take part in it.

No different that the "welfare program" of trout stocking in mass. I was at a local pond one day when the stocking truck showed up........5 canoes were anchored 30 feet from the back of the truck.......they "caught" 2 each in about 10 minutes....yeah that's some damn fine angling skills there!

no there is nothing illegal in shooting pheasant out of a tree. he's speaking to the unsporting behavior and the overall "welfare program" of the pheasant stocking program in mass and the guys that take part in it.

No different that the "welfare program" of trout stocking in mass. I was at a local pond one day when the stocking truck showed up........5 canoes were anchored 30 feet from the back of the truck.......they "caught" 2 each in about 10 minutes....yeah that's some damn fine angling skills there!

Not to derail this thread...but stocking programs are done with funds likely from hunting licenses and monies from the Pittman Robertson act. They are somewhat sportsman "welfare" to keep the sport alive for the general public and young people. Its the reason why anyone can buy a hunting license and go to a WMA (land also provided by the same funds) and go hunting pheasant or trout fishing with reasonable odds of success. There would be no trout or pheasant if it weren't for put and take programs. We do away with it, these activities would become pay for only, private, and as you would think, very expensive (for the rich).

There are aholes that follow the stocking truck with fish and birds, they are just that ...... aholes. The same people probably shoot/catch over their limit as well.
If your bragging about shooting stocked birds or catching stocked fish.....well, you really need to put things in perspective. A few photos with the dog or something for memories, but really, it's not like hunting wild game.

Last edited:
I was up in Pittsburg for the week during the last 3 days of Muzzle and then rifle. I had a few deer fly by me on mountain bikes....missed them. Its added a whole new dynamic to deer hunting for me. It doesn't seem fair that the deer are allowed to do this but I'll have to adjust.

Just lead them a little as if they were running, and try not to hit their front suspension or you'll end up with shock oil in the meat.

Not to derail this thread...but stocking programs are done with funds likely from hunting licenses and monies from the Pittman Robertson act. They are somewhat sportsman "welfare" to keep the sport alive for the general public and young people. Its the reason why anyone can buy a hunting license and go to a WMA (land also provided by the same funds) and go hunting pheasant or trout fishing with reasonable odds of success. There would be no trout or pheasant if it weren't for put and take programs. We do away with it, these activities would become pay for only, private, and as you would think, very expensive (for the rich).

There are aholes that follow the stocking truck with fish and birds, they are just that ...... aholes. The same people probably shoot/catch over their limit as well.
If your bragging about shooting stocked birds or catching stocked fish.....well, you really need to put things in perspective. A few photos with the dog or something for memories, but really, it's not like hunting wild game.
I'm aware of why they stock the pheasant and trout. My comment about "welfare stocking programs" is a joke......a pointed joke.....but a joke. The ones chasing the trout and pheasant trucks are the "welfare cases" I'm referring too. There are plenty of guys out there taking advantage of the pheasant stocking and using their well trained dogs to do it.....or pushing the edges on foot themselves to flush a bird. I've done that as well and flushed and taken a few. But if you walk down the trail into a wma and see pheasants strutting around 20 yards away just after the truck pulled out and ground swat em or shoot them off a branch......well.......those guys should re evaluate their reasons for being out there.

"Accidents Happen"????? Bullshit. NO responsible hunter would "accidentally" shoot someone. HOW, can some idiot mistake a human for a deer? Unless she was wearing a deer costume, there is no excuse for this. Where was the shooter "placing" the shot????? Or was he just "throwing lead" out there. Hope the shithead goes to prison for a long time.

That article.
So much information o_O

But apparently everyone knows the hunter was careless because we blindly trust the media to be fair with us. We don’t even know if she was shot, just hurt. Until I know for sure I’ll take the side of the hunter and assume she crashed her bike after hearing a shot.

Back
Top Bottom