Accuracy With A Bipod

Rutland , in the oppressive Republic of Massachuse
Hey rifle shooters, I have a very accurate ar that I use for 3gun competition. I usually shoot in open division where bipods are allowed. My question is: how does accuracy using a bipod compare to shooting off of hard cover? Also all of my load development has been done using sandbags under both a free floating handgaurd and the butstock. How would a bipod compare to sandbags?
Thanks
Shooty

I don't see a difference in group size between bipod with rear bag, and sand bag rests front and rear. Minor shift in impact point if any. I've moved to doing load development with bipod and rear bag.

I don't see accuracy degradation shooting off hard surface like barricade but I'm using 10 lb + rifle.

1907 type sling great aid to marksmanship in standing, sitting, prone, and kneeling if properly used. Where you can use bipod ( by rules or position) I think you would find bipod more accurate and faster to use. YMMV

Everyone should know how to use sling. Appleseed shoot great way to learn positional shooting and sling use.

Last edited:
There really should be no difference in mechanical accuracy between a bipod and a sandbag as long as both are used properly on the stock, not the barrel.
If that's what you're asking.

There really should be no difference in mechanical accuracy between a bipod and a sandbag as long as both are used properly on the stock, not the barrel.
If that's what you're asking.
+1

As long as the gun isn't moving both should be excellent. Free float is the key

I can't wait to try it out. The ar is coming apart this weekend for some blasting and custom color, so it should be ready to shoot next month.
Believe it or not prone has always been my acillies heel with my rifle shooting. I have always found it extremely uncomfortable to raise my head up high enough to shoot this way.

Last edited:
Make sure you get the right height bipod. I like the 3-9 over the 9-12. The 9-12 is to tall for the bench or prone for me. It’s no fun trying to shoot from a bipod that’s to high.

I don't see much difference between a sandbag and bipod when shooting. To me it's more important how you stabilize the butt stock with a monopod or sand bag.

When I shoot groups for fun or testing loads, I support the rifle on sandbags front and rear. I get the gun set up so that it is aimed at the x and all that I do is lightly hold it there and squeeze the trigger.

Make sure you get the right height bipod. I like the 3-9 over the 9-12. The 9-12 is to tall for the bench or prone for me. It’s no fun trying to shoot from a bipod that’s to high.

That reminds me of stage I shot this season. It was a hoser stage but you had to shoot it prone from under a barrier with nothing there for support. No one but me had any short mags. I loaned a few 20 rounders out.

There is a difference, but not so's you'd notice in a 3-gun rifle, or what it's used for.

If you go with the Harris style bi-pod maybe tie a piece of cord between the legs, so that as you go prone you can deploy both legs with one pull.

When I shoot groups for fun or testing loads, I support the rifle on sandbags front and rear. I get the gun set up so that it is aimed at the x and all that I do is lightly hold it there and squeeze the trigger.

If you do this off a bi-pod, some guys will use a rear bag, and put two of those thin plastic front license plates that have the car dealers name on them back to back under the legs of the bipod, so that it slides smoothly on the bench under recoil, rather than drags and hops on the rubber bumpers on the feet of the bi-pod.

If you do this off a bi-pod, some guys will use a rear bag, and put two of those thin plastic front license plates that have the car dealers name on them back to back under the legs of the bipod, so that it slides smoothly on the bench under recoil, rather than drags and hops on the rubber bumpers on the feet of the bi-pod.

Thank you, I hadn't considered what the rubber feet would be doing as the gun recoiled. Sliding would certainly be better than jumping!

I don't seem to get the same accuracy with the bipod. I admit i don't have the most expensive ones but i get better results off a solid rest or 2, depending.

15 shots for record and a sighter at 700m off of a bipod. The V-ring is 5" :)
That's some good 700m shooting. What caliber is that?
My ar is back together. Before I Duracoated it my son said "why's it gotta be purple?".
20171201_144647.jpg 20171201_144748.jpg
I told him that black and purple look good together.
It shoot just under an inch w/ 69gr SMK's. Plenty accurate for 3gun. I can't wait to shoot it with the bipod.

308Win
1_04_01_16_11_22_08.JPG

The top one is a 22lr, the next is usually a 223, though it sometimes shows up as a 308, and the other 2 are 308s

This is my main

1_04_01_16_11_21_41.JPG

I usually run a Seb Joypod or a Duplin; I also have a Mystic for one of my rifles that runs close on weight with an NXS.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom