Repaired Lee Enfield?

looks like a well used rifle to me. what are you looking to get repaired.

I like to buy broken rifles;)

Mac1911,

Look at the spot weld smudge in the top picture. It looks like it cracked near the stripper bridge and was repaired long ago.

I dont know much about Enfields. I tried google foo for bridge cracks and only found some mention of factory/ftr spot welds but don't think this is that.

I'll try to take a pic with the inside lit up with the bolt removed.

There's also a loose handguard and it looks like the top wood is sitting slightly forward of the bottom stock. Front sight pin is also drifted quite a bit to one side. Supposedly a tack driver at 50yards but I can't see an indication of that from the drifted sight pin location.

If that’s a repaired crack, it’s a great place (from your perspective) to have a repaired crack. Not a yuge amount of stress there.

I’m more curious about the milled area just behind the chamber. Might just be a dull mill head and odd lighting, but it looks weird.

I wouldn’t worry about ill-fitting wood. I usually just shim with cardboard if it bothers me.

Depending where yours way made will,depend on how well the machine work can be.
These rifles stayed in service for some time so some can be well beat up.

The bridge which makes the back of the clip guide is a separate piece. I think it's normally brazed in. This one may have come free so it was tack welded to secure it.

That's just rough milling on the side of the receiver from either a dull tool or incorrect feed rate...inconsequential to the operation of the rifle.

Looks like the bridge thing is normal.
This No 4 is a Fazakerley. No black paint which I prefer. How can I tell if it ever went thru FTR refurbishment?

Here's some pics of the bridge and receiver internals and the front sight area.
behind bridge.jpg bridge interior.jpg bridge top.jpg chamber.jpg front bands.jpg front sight.jpg

If it ever went through FTR, it’ll have those letters plus the date marked prominently on the receiver. As in, you shouldn’t need to search too hard for them.

I doubt that one did, though the no 4 is the British weapon I’m LEAST knowledgeable about.

IMG_3970.JPG Sometimes the mark is on the stock. I've seen many SMLEs with FTR on the stock. My Savage is FR (field repair).

T

That weld mark is not normal. I have never seen that before. Could be a field repair, although I would think that was the not the accepted way to repair it per the British. But this rifle could have seen service in one or more of the many smaller countries in the Empire and who knows what they thought was an acceptable repair. It could also have been done by some smith here in the states.

Does the gun have the out of service proof marks which can be found under muzzle? If so, then we know it last saw service with the Brits and it is most likely a local repair here in the US by bubba or a smith.

What arsenal made the gun?

Fazakerly made this No.4

I don't see the out of service proof mark - what do you mean by "under the muzzle"?

I lifted the top handguards and don't see the out of service mark on the top of the barrel. Not sure where this marking would be normally.
There's no ENGLAND or other importer marks.

British law stated that all guns sold on the commercial market needed to be proofed. There were two proof houses, one in London and one in Birmingham. When an Enfield left military service and entered the private market they had to be proofed in one of these two proof houses. On the No. 4, the proof marks were made on the under side of the barrel between the muzzle and the stock. On the No. 1, they were made on the top of the barrel under the rear hand guard. They looked like this in the pic. The absence of these proof marks on an Enfield means that the rifle was not sold out of service from the British into the private market. It most likely was sold out of service after the rifle served with one of the countries in the Empire (or some other country) that it last saw military service. Turkey for example had received a large batch of No. 4s during WWII. These rifles were sold by Turkey into the the US surplus market in the 1990s. Some of these other countries did things to repair rifles that were not standard to the British. My guess is that since your rifle was not proofed out of service in the UK... that welding was done with one of these other countries.
bnp-2-222-tons.jpg

http://www.allaboutenfields.co.nz/history/markings/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom