• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Fired full auto AR this weekend...

allen-1

NES Member
So I shot a charity match this past weekend, and one of the sponsors was Daniel Defense.

I've got mixed emotions about DD. They very recently laid off ~100 people which included a bunch of people I know, including a couple of close friends. And they did it very badly. The other part is that they're still a local business, they still support local firearm events, and I've still got friends who work for them.

That being said, they were at the Sua Sponte match Saturday, which was run by LCIDPA, (Low Country IDPA club. They donated an AR to be raffled off with the proceeds going to Sua Sponte. They also sold chances to shoot a fully auto SBR.

I've never done it, nor has my wife. I KNEW it was going to climb. Intellectually, I knew it. Apparently viscerally I didn't know it. I did no better than average. Five rounds, of which TWO made it on on target.

BUT BOY WAS THAT FUN...

And I took video of my wife running it too. The look on her face afterwards was priceless. She did better with the muzzle climb, but you see it pushing her backwards, (she's about 110 lbs soaking wet).

Next year I'll take more cash so I can shoot it more.

Full auto is way too much fun; I can see why it's banned. I can't not smile when running a bullet hose!

Reading Stephen Hunter's new book "G-Man" now (It's about "Bob Lee's grandfather) and one of the guns it features is "The Monitor" used by Baby Face Nelson and John Dillinger, full auto 1911 with an 18 rd single stack. Now THAT would be a giggle gun.

I've fired several full autos, and I never get to the point where it doesn't bring a smile to me. I'm too poor to feed one, even if I could afford one as an investment.

You should come on up to the NES SHOOT at MONANDOCK GUN AND ROD.
You'll Get some trigger time for sure, maybe even with the belt feds.

It takes a while for the full auto giggle to wear off.

I make my ARs full auto, so you could have shot a full auto AR...my RDIAS is labled as an M-15 on the form 4.

But we all know if it was put on by Daniel Defense is was a dealer sample m16 lower.

Weird, I had no trouble keeping the muzzle of my M16A4 on target the one time I got to play with the burst setting. All rounds on target.

Longer barrel makes a difference, I guess.

Full auto, "AR"?? I'll bet dollars to donuts it was an "M" something or other. We all know that you can't make an "AR" into a machine gun, right?

I'm saying "AR" due to my own lack of knowledge. It looked to me like a short-barreled AR with the exception that the safety lever was flipped all the way forward, so that it was pointing towards the barrel, the indicator was pointing towards the stock and the "auto" marking. The other controls were identical to every other AR I've ever handled.

Weird, I had no trouble keeping the muzzle of my M16A4 on target the one time I got to play with the burst setting. All rounds on target.

Longer barrel makes a difference, I guess.

Nope, this was just me. I watched shooters who'd fired full auto before and they did much better. We had 72 shooters at the match. Chris said that the "average" was two rounds on target. But I watched two friends of mine do controlled dumps of full mags, and they had no issues. One's ex-service, and the other's just a very good shooter.

Nope, this was just me. I watched shooters who'd fired full auto before and they did much better. We had 72 shooters at the match. Chris said that the "average" was two rounds on target. But I watched two friends of mine do controlled dumps of full mags, and they had no issues. One's ex-service, and the other's just a very good shooter.

The first time I experienced it was a little surprising. All three rounds had left the barrel before I even realized wtf was going on. I was also expecting climb so I was hanging on to it like my life depended on it.

Dammit, now I feel the need to go get my green card.

I want to know if all these dopes on youtube (teens and idiots) have licensed machine guns or if all this BATFE=Boogie Man is poppycock.

I shot a full auto AK in Vegas last year. I did not like it very much. No idea how 8 year olds in the Congo shoot them without taking out half the jungle.

Sua Sponte Foundation provides immediate support to the men and families of the 1st Ranger Bn.
Great organization.

Sounds like a fun time. Just have to set your feet proper and lean into it hard to keep the muzzle down if you’re doing a dump on FA, otherwise it’s trigger control, body position and short bursts on the move.

Takes about 10-12 mags out of a subgun to get the hang of it. Takes less if you realize that you direct the fire with your forward hand like you would a high pressure hose. You don't just support a MG like you do a rifle. Jack.

First of all, Allen-1, I'm not being critical here. Believe me. I'm just making sure that the uninformed individual who may be browsing this thread might get the wrong impression that he can easily "convert" his $500 AR-15 to a military full-auto smg. The Ar-15 was designed and machined in a special way that makes it impossible to retrofit into machine gun status. That's the ONLY reason I picked up on your statement. There are no "loopholes" here. Nothing to see...move along.

I've been fortunate enough to have handled a number of authentic & legal machine guns over my time in this hobby. Twice I went to Knob Creek, the holy Mecca of machine guns in virtually every caliber you can image and then some. I also completed at Camp Perry twice using the M16 they provided. After I fired that rifle in full auto (having owned a number of ARs beforehand) I came away a bit disappointed. First of all, I never served so have no experience fighting with that rifle in actual combat. All I've got to say is that you've really got to exercise trigger discipline! 30 rounds disappear within a blink of an eye. The 3-round burst is almost not much better because it equates to 10 pulls on that trigger before reload. I've also shot the AK in full auto as well as a modern H&K in NATO 762 x 51. The H&K was really thrilling but, as you experienced with pretty much all full-auto machines, accuracy is out the window. All you can hope to do is make your enemy keep his head down while you move. Accuracy is shooting essentially in the semi-auto mode. The mall ninjas on "YouTube" who appear to be shooting MGs are most probably using one of the aftermarket trigger attachments or bump firing. A waste of good ammo as you're literally spraying it all over the place. Sure, it's going fast but it's like trying to make a car with terrible steering stay on the road at 100 mph; a fruitless effort. Even shooting a full auto MG at targets at 100 yards will surprise you as to how inaccurate they are.

So, fortunately for me, I never got the "bug" to take that next step and spend the time and money pursuing MGs. I had a buddy who bought a tiny STEN. Shot pistol-caliber rounds in stick mags. Fun for about 10 minutes but then that was it and talk about responsibility of keeping it safe, legal, and secure! Lose a .38 revolver is one thing. Lose an MG to a theft and we're talking a whole different level of scrutiny.

Finally, the reason these threads are important is because we get to share our experiences with each other and that helps us safely grow in the hobby. Just my two cents.

My wife loves her bolt action rifles.She will sit there all afternoon and make a large hole in a paper target. I keep asking her is she wants another target but she just want to remove all the black circles from it. She calls this her yoga. When she fires the full-autos, she calls it her cardio.

Cabinetmsn, "The Ar-15 was designed and machined in a special way that makes it impossible to retrofit into machine gun status."

What are you talking about?

I believe he is referring to the 'nub/bump/protrusion' over the selector that prevents inserting the auto-sear, even if the hole is drilled. There is of course other 'excess' material around and behind the selector that needs to be cleared to accommodate the auto-sear 'flipper' that rides on the selector and paddle for the knuckle on the hammer and BCG trip face.

I have no idea if these terms are correct, this video will show what I'm talking about.

Got to shoot a full auto Tommy gun, was the best time of my life this far lol. If I could afford the gun I'd find a way to feed it!

Not to go off on a technical rant about conversion.
The only note worthy difference between most ar15 receivers and an m16 receiver is the sear hole.. which is what makes it an MG.

Sometimes other things need to be done, like removing the selector stop on some receivers with some some 3rd bust FCG.

Colt for a short time (88-94?)installed a sear block which prevented the use of LL,DIAS and the hole attaching this device was larger than a sear hole and located half over the sear hole location.....which still wouldn't make it impossible to convert. Colt also used larger pin holes on receivers to make just dropping in a m16 GI trigger more difficult. Probably 2% or less of ARs are like this

"machined in a special way that makes it impossible to retrofit " is laughable.

Last edited:
Sua Sponte Foundation provides immediate support to the men and families of the 1st Ranger Bn.
Great organization.

Sounds like a fun time. Just have to set your feet proper and lean into it hard to keep the muzzle down if you’re doing a dump on FA, otherwise it’s trigger control, body position and short bursts on the move.

Cams - here's the match poster:

upload_2017-11-22_12-57-11.png

Right on. Thanks. That funny looking shield in the middle looks vaguely familiar. :D

In case you didn’t know, Sua Sponte is Latin for ‘Of Their Own Accord’ or ‘All Volunteers’.

Back
Top Bottom