• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Millennial Voters Offer Greatest Opposition to ‘Assault Weapons’ Ban

I have a hard time buying this assertion despite the poll. Never met a college-educated millennial who didn't hate and fear guns and want 2A repealed altogether, along with an serious abridgment of 1A that would make it illegal to make a statement that offends another person.
I'm a millennial that's about as educated as they come and I want the Hughes amendment, GCA, and NFA repealed.

My son, whom I have written about previously on this board, is a Millennial. He is slowly accumulated his own guns and prepping as well. Plus, as an only child, he gets my "arsenal" when I'm off the planet. He practices regularly at the range with his next door neighbor, "M", who is Asian and also a Millennial. All my nephews are 2A advocates, and those who are not PP's b/c of stupid shit when younger are gun owners.

If you are older, think about the expansion of cars in families of origin. My wife and I each came from a family of 1 car each. Today I cannot accurately count how many cars owned by the extended family. The same is true for guns ( I hope).

I truly hope my situation is repeating in other families, especially in free states.

Hi. College educated millennial who doesn't hate and fear guns and want the 2A to be repealed altogether, along with all the other bullshit stated here.

I did my research about firearms. I applied for my LTC. I didn't have anyone to teach me, so I took some classes at Mass Firearms School and practiced for a long time before I felt comfortable and confident carrying. I'm a member of multiple clubs. I've taken handfuls of antis (both millennials and Gen Xers) for fun days at the range, I explained the rules of shooting and instructed my guests to recite them back to me, and I had discussions about the current atmosphere towards firearms, and opened their eyes enough to do their own research. Several went on to get their LTCs.

But please! Just lump everyone in an entire generation together. I won't try to change your mind, or make illegal the idea of speaking your mind. That would be too typical for a millennial.

I think the biggest threat from millennial voters is just in the pockets of uninformed echo chambers. I have heard people suggest things which very closely align with existing laws, and so when I point out that there is in fact this government control but it isn't working that is eye opening. Also, as someone who loves researching things I know that sometimes there just isn't enough time to research every item personally. I had a buddy that truly believed you could just buy a gun online and get it shipped to your house. He hears it from multiple speeches and news places, and then does a cursory internet search and does find multiple sites offering firearms for sale with the same makeup/look of every e commerce site he has seen. He sends me a link as proof and I scroll to the "Firearms may only be shipped to a licensed dealer (FFL Holder)" that is in every listing and explained what an FFL is and how their place in the process means the same checks are in place as if you bought it directly from that retail location. Cue the "Well why do they call it a loophole then?" and the stock response "To get you to agree with what they want".

I think the biggest threat from millennial voters is just in the pockets of uninformed echo chambers.

To that end, I agree. But I think the biggest threat from any voter demographic are in the pockets of uninformed echo chambers. I'm fairly sure that millennials aren't the only ones buying into the media's anti-2A propaganda.

To that end, I agree. But I think the biggest threat from any voter demographic are in the pockets of uninformed echo chambers. I'm fairly sure that millennials aren't the only ones buying into the media's anti-2A propaganda.

I was going to say that may be true but I mostly end up just socializing with millennials ..... but then I realized in fact I now spend most of my time socializing with people who are 2-4 decades older than me at my gun club. [shrug emoji that no-longer exists]

With any set of people there is a certain % who are open to changing opinions based on small doses of corrective data. However, I think that it is more common that people who are new to a stage of life (like millennials who have joined the workforce, looked at marriage, planning for retirement, and purchasing houses all in the last 10 ish years) are more likely to be actively investigating the effectiveness of the status quo. Someone who is entrenched in their way of life is less likely to be influenced by small doses of data that contradict larger sets of long term input (whether accurate or not). Also the flawed logic that age is a direct corollary to insight and knowledge on all subjects leads to people less frequently changing their views as they age, unless they have a major contradicting event.

once those millenials will start getting their real paychecks and taking care of their real families and see the taxes that's when they really shit the brick. I'd hope that their opposition was based on founding principles and not playing games in mom's basement.

I feel really sad that many old folks in this country are literally screwing over the younger generation in terms of rights. This is the legacy that they leave behind, something that their kids and grandkids will have to deal with. Halmark should offer special section of holiday cards: "Merry Xmass little Johnny, I'm buying you a toy to make up how royally I screwed you over by giving up into tyranny, love gramps"

This. Give it 10 more years for the snowflakes to figure out how their plans screw themselves. It's easy to be for something when you have no skin in the game.

This. Give it 10 more years for the snowflakes to figure out how their plans screw themselves. It's easy to be for something when you have no skin in the game.

I sometimes think I should have found a way to monetize my ability to be the devil's advocate when listening to some of the ideas my peers had in their early 20s about how things should work.

I don't have a hard time buying it at all. Also "college educated millenial" in the northeast has preselection bias built into it because of all the communism around here. Talk to a college grad somewhere else and they're likely to feel differently about it. Or even talk to that same graduate 3-5 years removed from college, might be a different result.

You're also allowing media bullshit to cloud your judgement; media over-represents moonbat viewpoints amongst millenials to a level of striking absurdity. The media keeps trying to push certain kinds of memetics and ideas and trying to get people to believe that those ideas are a widely held beliefs, etc- but it's all a bunch of horseshit. This used to work, very well, but now less people are falling for it. If it still worked like it used to, Trump would have never been elected. Now more people are skeptical of media. WAY more skeptical.

Also food for thought..... talk to anyone that has flipped antis.... flipping a millenial anti, or what I call a "tepid anti" is often much easier than a legacy anti. Geritols that don't like guns.... usually a lost cause. Their brains are filled with so much impacted mental feces, because 50% of them basically park their ass in front of the TV once they hit 70 until they die- so their entire worldview is based on a bunch of garbage spewed by talking head "news" retards on TV. Thankfully people of all age brackets, though, are starting to distrust mass media, and they should have good reason to- this is the same media that said that trump could never win, etc.

Theres a silent war going on with media and information, WRT guns (and a lot of other things) and we're not doing nearly as bad as you think.

-Mike
Time will tell. Unfortunately media content, including entertainment, consumed by millennials is saturated with gun prohibitionist propaganda. The relevance of "college educated millenial" (sic) is it is the pool from which that generation's decision-makers will come, like it or not. Also, I doubt a few millennial statistical outliers participating on a firearms forum are representative of millennials on the whole.

Time will tell. Unfortunately media content, including entertainment, consumed by millennials is saturated with gun prohibitionist propaganda. The relevance of "college educated millenial" (sic) is it is the pool from which that generation's decision-makers will come, like it or not. Also, I doubt a few millennial statistical outliers participating on a firearms forum are representative of millennials on the whole.

What a Joke:

This is never the case from my experience

Statement Proved Wrong

These are isolated cases that are statistically irrelevant

THIS IS WHY ITS SO HARD TO TURN OLD ANTIS! Ya just can't handle being proved wrong.

I think you are discounting a bigger group than you understand.

We will see. So far the rate of gun control at the federal level is actually slowing, it wasn't my generation or the one before it that pushed through all the gun control we have now.

We will see. So far the rate of gun control at the federal level is actually slowing, it wasn't my generation or the one before it that pushed through all the gun control we have now.

The flaw in your logic is forgetting just how large a % of the people who get discussed for a 2020 Presidential run are soaring into their 7th decade. All around there are people who are sticking it out way farther into their life trying to keep the reigns of control firmly in their own hands. (Okay not really flaw in your logic, just wanted to remind everyone just how many septuagenarians are vying to run this country)

The flaw in your logic is forgetting just how large a % of the people who get discussed for a 2020 Presidential run are soaring into their 7th decade. All around there are people who are sticking it out way farther into their life trying to keep the reigns of control firmly in their own hands. (Okay not really flaw in your logic, just wanted to remind everyone just how many septuagenarians are vying to run this country)
I'm glad you cleared it up that my logic is fine :) they will die eventually. The baby boomers are a demographic bulge, it makes sense that they are disproportionately influential, but barring accidents I will live to see them all die.

Time will tell. Unfortunately media content, including entertainment, consumed by millennials is saturated with gun prohibitionist propaganda.

Depends on what media is being consumed. If you're talking about stuff like MM news outlets and rags like
the communist times thats one type of outlet. Outlets that millenials are probably trending away from.

Do you really think the average young adult (lets say, 18-25 years old) these days is going to sit down and
watch DemSNBC or Faux news? Unless they're some broad that got knocked up and put on Section 8, probably not. They're going to watch shit that appeals to them. Not talking head retards.

The relevance of "college educated millenial" (sic) is it is the pool from which that generation's decision-makers will come, like it or not.

Yeah, but the problem with this archetype is I doubt the people running the Quinnipiac survey are using
accurate techniques of conducting a legit survey. Kids go to college in square states, too, not just moonbat "utopia" big dump cities.

ETA: I also think that eventually, you're going to see a huge "crash" with regards to what "college educated" actually means; I think there's going to be a resurgence of young people entering the workforce from non traditional means or skills based education, trades, etc... but that's a whole other story.

Also, I doubt a few millennial statistical outliers participating on a firearms forum are representative of millennials on the whole.

No, probably not, but without having a better way of surveying them we're just speculating. Honestly I would bet the average millenial is more ambivalent about guns than the typical 65+ or geritol set type, particularly in this region. I've heard more spew from people older than me about guns, and some of them are even gun owners themselves. "I don't think people should have..." "what do you need an AR15 for" etc. all that
garbage. It's because their brains are rotting from sitting in front of that f**king television set all the
time. Perhaps not so coincidentally- all my gun owning friends that are older that are hard core pro rkba types.... all of them seem to have a life outside of watching that f**king television set and they have other things that occupy their time VS a lot of their peers their own age. They also tend not to hang around with those people, either, the ones that sit around all day. This is a problem millenials don't have as much of, they are all over the place doing random things that don't include watching talking head morons on TV... and a lot of them "unplug" from traditional networks entirely.

-Mike

While I can't disagree about the bias of "a few millennial statistical outliers participating on a firearms forum are representative of millennials on the whole" I can say as a millennial who is very pro 2A that lumping every millennial into the same group because of what the media shows you does not help the cause. Our second amendment right is constantly under attack especially within the last year alone, why try and discredit and take away allies. Us millennials are always fact checking because of how easy it is to discredit someone in the modern era, are the loudest when it comes to the places the media looks for stories and trends, and our goal is to undo all the issues that were forced upon us prior to us being able to do anything about it. I've got a college degree, 26 years old, and I do my best to educate everyone willing to listen and learn when it comes to firearms and the PAGES of laws we traverse in the state of MA. Doubting the future decision-makers before they even get to step up to bat is not a good practice.

maybe I am having a hard time understanding, are millennial voters for AW's or are for banning AW's ?

Millenial voters are voting for gun rights, not against them, supposedly. I too think it's a backlash against all the retardism by the media. My kids are solid pro 2A as are most of their friends. Their teachers hate it that they spew facts against the liberal puke agenda that they try and shove down their throats. They do projects on how the media is biased and brainwashing, etc. Warms my heart.....

It also probalby is that Gen X and Y are likely more conservative generations than the Boomers were....the Boomers fell for things like the AW ban, and media spins and believed them. Today's crowd has seen the light more and realize that the media is a schill, and Gun Control is about control, and as some stated, who really watches the MSM outlets....older people, Boomers and above. Younger people don't watch that garbage.

My 2 cents:
Millennials have access to something that past young voters didn't: social media.

Social media makes it possible to not only spread awareness of the issues, but also quickly discuss and debate them. Ideas spread rapidly. Sheep are proven wrong instantly, and their illogic can be seen by everyone.

Because of social media, 2A has quickly reached a new audience. Millennials now feel that they can think on their own without being drowned out by their college peers or liberal media outlets.

It doesn't surprise me at all if millennial now oppose AWBs and other gun control measures.

I straddle the genx/millennial demographic and this doesn't surprise me at all.

I think it probably has to do with a couple major factors:
1) Social media and the new face of gun owners. The social media changing the perception of gun owners as "gun nuts" and getting people excited about shooting and collecting. Information about guns is easier to get than ever and the old myths are quickly being dispelled.

2) I think for better or worse have a bullshit meter that is dialed up to 11, have no patience for hypocrisy and an irreverence for structures of power/control. The data is in and it clearly shows that gun control and AW basically contribute zero to gun violence. The fight for the 2nd amendment is a fight for civil liberties/human rights, I feel like this is major issue for my generation.

3) Most have lived in a post 9/11 and post Columbine world. I think this had created a world view that is far less rosy and awareness/imperative to maintain/defend the 2nd Amendmend against domestic/foreign threats.

Never met a college-educated millennial who didn't hate and fear guns and want 2A repealed altogether, along with an serious abridgment of 1A that would make it illegal to make a statement that offends another person.
Try to get out more, I guess. I know a ton of fellow college-educated millennials right here in MA.

My 2 cents:
Millennials have access to something that past young voters didn't: social media.

Social media makes it possible to not only spread awareness of the issues, but also quickly discuss and debate them. Ideas spread rapidly. Sheep are proven wrong instantly, and their illogic can be seen by everyone.

Because of social media, 2A has quickly reached a new audience. Millennials now feel that they can think on their own without being drowned out by their college peers or liberal media outlets.

It doesn't surprise me at all if millennial now oppose AWBs and other gun control measures.
I wish it worked that way but it instead social media allows people to set up echo chambers and block any opposing views.

Back
Top Bottom