Amplifying a PTT to make Peltor Comtac headset work with consumer radio.

MGnoob

NES Life Member
NES Member
I posted this kind of topic in the equipment forum. It seems to work, have to test iit more when i have a second person. Basically this is how you make a low impedance microphone work with a high impedance consumer radio. These are peltor comtac 3s being used on a kenwood 2 pin style radio adapted from 6 pin. Its not make specific should work with any setup with a similar compatability issue
dyn2emic.gif20171116_145642.jpg20171116_145758.jpg20171116_152144.jpg

I hope this is helpful to someone, its alot cheaper than buying airsoft crap or paying for someone to do the same thing.im waiting for some curcuit board to arrive so i can do proper install on 4 PTTs. Ill be back to post final photos before i seal them back up.

Pm me if you want component have enough to make about 60 of them and can probably throw everthing in a regular onvolope with 1 stamp.

Last edited:
Photos like this make alot of people say "well shit i could do that"
It took me 5 min to be ready for testing, probably took 12 hours of googling about half of it was from photobucket breaking the Internet.
The first picture and last picture tells you everything you need to know to do a peltor ptt.

After some late night testing, it does still work .. but the increase in volume isn't significant...completely usable, but its not a very clean... perhaps i had too high of expectation or i need to remove all the extra wire, ect.

Im not an electrical engineer, but i have been browsing curcuits that utilize batteries, making it alot more complicated, expecially to fit inside the PTT housing.

Before i finalize all of my PTT , im going to try different components and more complex circuit designs...

What i have is totally useable...... but the thoat mics i have only need a wisper.. a cheaper alternative for me would be to spice my 2 pin radio connectors to work with my headset and PTTs.

But I'm not sure whats better, the throat mics are great for covert style ops(which i want for hunting or organized shoots) but the throat mics really fail when your on the run and moving alot. The positioning of the throat mic is so critical...in paintball/airsoft... or a true tactical environment they just arent reliable.

Fortunately for me its all just play, but I'd Ike it to work better

This hasnt been abandon, im just still waiting for backordered ACH railmounts.
Alot of stuff i order that shouldn't be a big deal ends up taking 6-8 months.

Update, now i have everything and just have to work this out.. if anyone has a better way of applyifing a PTT please rhrtw out any ideas you have.. im going to test what i have unmodified ,test the modification i did try and decide if its good enough..im tempted to try and incorporate these throat mics i have but dont want too many points of failure.

I should have a final post showing the method and result i end up going with.
20180417_013244.jpg

Last edited:
You are my hero! I just ordered the components for the circuit. How has it held up? Is there anything you would do differently? TIA!

You would be better off using an op amp to do this. This will give you a good impeadance match and you can adjust the gain with the potentiometer (pot). Once you get the gain you want you can measure the potentiometer's resistance value and replace it with a fixed resistor for durability.

Bob

mic-preamp_schem.png

Google Image Result for https://i1.wp.com/digitalab.org/wp-content/uploads/mic-preamp_schem.png?fit=1171%2C544

The gain formula can be found here:
Op Amp Gain | Operational Amplifier Calculation Equations | Radio-Electronics.com

I don’t remember.. it’s pretty easy.. but that amateur circuit leaves a lot of feedback

Back
Top Bottom