Super Redhawk 10MM

Ok it sure is pretty, but it is trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

10MM is a great round, and if the pussies at the FBI could have learned how to shoot with it we would not have been saddled with the 40 Short & Weak, but I digress.

10 is hard to find, expensive, and with all the revolver and even rifle rounds available in revolvers, I don't get the attraction.

There are other existing centerfire handgun rounds that have similar or better ballistics right?

10MM is a great round, and if the pussies at the FBI could have learned how to shoot with it we would not have been saddled with the 40 Short & Weak, but I digress.

10 is hard to find, expensive, and with all the revolver and even rifle rounds available in revolvers, I don't get the attraction.

There are other existing centerfire handgun rounds that have similar or better ballistics right?

I don't think it accomplishes anything other than contributing to my "I need it now" list!

man, feeling those tinglings again, and no, not there. i love those redhawks, not so much the supers though. they don't seem to offer a standard redhawk in 10 yet, maybe if this sells they will, then i'm on board. one could conger up some crazy velocities in this beast.

I would say if you had the funds, the ammo, and the will GO FOR IT ! I'm looking forward to a range report

i'm sure ruger is trying to tap the handgun pig hunting market in something other than a 1911 style pistol. les baer and ed brown are making 1911's in 10 now with 6" barrels marketed to pig hunters.

To make people who are already invested in 10mm feel like they need an other gun that shoots 10mm?

A 10mm loaded to it's potential, 357 Mag to almost 41 Mag. Average off the shelf 10mm? 40S&W.

It's easy to reload and the bullets are the same as used for .40 S&W. It's not that hard to find either, most of the gun shops worth shopping at still carry it. Reloading cost isn't much different from say 45 or so, the brass being the biggest issue.

Although I don't really get the point of it in a revolver other than the fact that tracking ones brass is easy... (well, that and a smith 610 with an unfluted barrel just looks kinda cool). Might load quick with moon clips too.

The killer app for 10mm is really the fact that it is right at the nexus of "being the most powerful semiautomatic handgun cartridge that still isn't wholly impractical". Everything "above" it that is used in an auto is either some ****y wildcat or is run in finicky guns (eg, things like .44 automag, .50 AE, etc. )

-Mike

i'm sure ruger is trying to tap the handgun pig hunting market in something other than a 1911 style pistol. les baer and ed brown are making 1911's in 10 now with 6" barrels marketed to pig hunters.

Not gonna lie, if Ruger did up one of their 10mm 1911's in a long slide, I would probably want one.

I just hope they machined the cylinder so that the moon clips are an option and rounds can sit freely. Much more useful as moon clips are easily lost. Also kind of wished this had been an 8 shot LONG barrel 357 rather than the current snubby Redhawk...Next we need a 475 linebaugh Ruger!

Not gonna lie, if Ruger did up one of their 10mm 1911's in a long slide, I would probably want one.

I'm actually the opposite- I wish these companies would stop fagging up to the fudds and bring back guns like the Dan Wesson C-bob 10mm... Like a retard I didn't buy one of those back when:

A- they still made them
B- they were only about 1200ish or so

"Such Ragrets.... "[crying]

Not buying a DW Cbob 10mm Commander = "easily top 10 gun regrets list qualifier. "

The problem is now is most of the guns are all marketed towards hunting and have either stupidly long barrels or adjustable sights, etc. Meh. I wanted a normal gun with fixed sights thats 5" or less. Maybe a DW Razorback if I can find one...

ETA: Although a 6" 10mm 1911 certainly would have caused a boner back when I used to kill bowling pins on a regular basis.... that would be a killer BP rig...

-Mike

I'm actually the opposite- I wish these companies would stop fagging up to the fudds and bring back guns like the Dan Wesson C-bob 10mm... Like a retard I didn't buy one of those back when:

A- they still made them
B- they were only about 1200ish or so

"Such Ragrets.... "[crying]

Not buying a DW Cbob 10mm Commander = "easily top 10 gun regrets list qualifier. "

The problem is now is most of the guns are all marketed towards hunting and have either stupidly long barrels or adjustable sights, etc. Meh. I wanted a normal gun with fixed sights thats 5" or less. Maybe a DW Razorback if I can find one...

ETA: Although a 6" 10mm 1911 certainly would have caused a boner back when I used to kill bowling pins on a regular basis.... that would be a killer BP rig...

-Mike

I am pretty hot for the Glock 40 myself, I think it would be an awesome hunting pistol up here. Plus it's got to add like 3-4" to my manhood.

Compare the energy of a 44 magnum to the 10mm and tell me why this is a better choice? More choices always better I guess, but I'd stick with 44 magnum.

44 mag has bigger diameter bullets, heavier bullets, faster bullets

Compare the energy of a 44 magnum to the 10mm and tell me why this is a better choice? More choices always better I guess, but I'd stick with 44 magnum.

If we're talking vs: Glock 20 / 29 / 40 the weight : capacity : firepower ratio of a revolver kinda
sucks. If you're talking "vs a 44 mag revolver" then you have a legit point because the weight difference isn't going to be that dramatic, although the 10mm may be, depending on circumstances, less onery to control under recoil, etc.

Also it depends on what you're shooting or planning on shooting with it. If it's a 2 legged predator I can't imagine a 10mm being that far behind the curve vs a 44 magnum at least as far as handguns go. Now if you're carrying the gun for big game hunting or something, sure, there's a pretty substantial argument leaning in favor of something like a .44 magnum with an " 240 gr Elmer Keith replication load" loaded in the cylinder....

I am pretty hot for the Glock 40 myself, I think it would be an awesome hunting pistol up here. Plus it's got to add like 3-4" to my manhood.

I might end up going down the G40 or G20 road (again) soon... I still have a stockpile of magazines that fit in those guns and drop free.

-Mike

If we're talking vs: Glock 20 / 29 / 40 the weight : capacity : firepower ratio of a revolver kinda
sucks. If you're talking "vs a 44 mag revolver" then you have a legit point because the weight difference isn't going to be that dramatic, although the 10mm may be, depending on circumstances, less onery to control under recoil, etc.

Also it depends on what you're shooting or planning on shooting with it. If it's a 2 legged predator I can't imagine a 10mm being that far behind the curve vs a 44 magnum at least as far as handguns go. Now if you're carrying the gun for big game hunting or something, sure, there's a pretty substantial argument leaning in favor of something like a .44 magnum with an " 240 gr Elmer Keith replication load" loaded in the cylinder....

I might end up going down the G40 or G20 road (again) soon... I still have a stockpile of magazines that fit in those guns and drop free.

-Mike

Razor Dobbs and Ted Nugent have both taken Eland and bigger with both Dan Wesson Razorbacks shooting a 220 HC bullet and the Glock 20. I am considering taking my P220 10mm Elk hunting next weekend and don't feel undergunned inside of about 60 yards.

The moon clips are my concern. Seen many a guy using 9mm and 45acp revolvers at the plate shoots come to the line with a tooth brush to clean the extractor between reloads. Some even went home early because they just couldn't close the cylinder after 2 or 3 trips to the racks. You have to use very clean burning powder when using moon clips.

Since the gun is cut for moonclips, a benefit many are overlooking is you can shoot .40 in this too. That’s cheap for reloaders and those using factory ammo.

But it’s a Ruger so that sucks.

The moon clips are my concern. Seen many a guy using 9mm and 45acp revolvers at the plate shoots come to the line with a tooth brush to clean the extractor between reloads. Some even went home early because they just couldn't close the cylinder after 2 or 3 trips to the racks. You have to use very clean burning powder when using moon clips.

I shoot a lot of moonclip guns and have never had this issue even with dirty powders.

Only thing I can think is 10mm is a proven bear stopper with options available, and 40sw is cheap(er) second only to 9mm it seems and common as dirt due to civilian and PD use. 10mm being the parent cartridge and this being a revolver there's no reason it can't fire both. If someone wasn't a "pistol guy" but wanted a hunting sidearm for bear country that could be plinked for cheap, or wanted to get into pistol hunting but wanted to plink too, I could see buying this. Maybe. But I don't know many budget hunters who only want one sidearm.

That said I could see this going OOP in a year or two with low production numbers, and becoming $$$ in the future.

What the hell are they shooting, dirt? Back when I shot pins we'd easily have two or three smith 625s at the lines and the guys running these guns never had these problems. And nearly all of them reloaded, too.

Pins as a generality, if you were good, was high round count, too. In a given day you might blow through a couple hundred rounds if you're really good (and keep winning).

-Mike

-Mike

I was speaking revolver only. The semi in 10mm is relevant to my interests. :D

What the hell are they shooting, dirt? Back when I shot pins we'd easily have two or three smith 625s at the lines and the guys running these guns never had these problems. And nearly all of them reloaded, too.

Pins as a generality, if you were good, was high round count, too. In a given day you might blow through a couple hundred rounds if you're really good (and keep winning).

-Mike

It's the smith guns that had the problems. Two guys I know that shoot plates with them have issues. They are new gun if that means anything. They were not happy with the performance.

It's the smith guns that had the problems. Two guys I know that shoot plates with them have issues. They are new gun if that means anything. They were not happy with the performance.

Might be out of spec or something. Their QC is terrible these days.

Seems like a gun for 10mm reloaders who want to push the cartridge beyond its limits. Personally i see no role for a 54 oz revolver that holds only 6 rds of 10mm. I would opt for a 629 or any 44 magnum all day long. A 357 or 41 mag would also be my preference.

that being said Im a 10mm fan so anytime major manufacturer keeps this cartridge growing Im excited. It has been cool to warch this 10mm resurgence. Not long ago I really thought this cartidge would die off.

Love the 10mm in my Delta Elite, and as mentioned once you have some brass the reloading is super cheap. Shot a couple mags at the Pumpkin Shoot and am kicking myself for not retrieving the brass, LOL.

However, I just don't get a purpose-built moon clip revolver. Why create an added complication?

However, I just don't get a purpose-built moon clip revolver. Why create an added complication?

Some people compete with revolvers, and its a lot easier to break a 3 second reload with moonclips than speed loaders.

For non-rimmed rounds like the 10mm it also eliminates head spacing issues that would come if you were using the case mouth to headspace the cartridge. And for rimmed rounds you can use moonclips or not.

If the Ruger business plan rests on the 10MM it ought to include a Carbine. As far as reloading expense goes, 10MM is right there with 40 S&W, except for brass. Brass is comparable in price with .357. In other words, BFD.

Why did ruger have to make the super Redhawk ugly? I want to love this gun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm with you. I'm a Ruger fan and most of their revolvers look great. But damn......is it just me that thinks the super Redhawk looks like a Redhawk with a boner?

I'm with you. I'm a Ruger fan and most of their revolvers look great. But damn......is it just me that thinks the super Redhawk looks like a Redhawk with a boner?

Couldn't they just make a 10mm redhawk? It can handle 44 mag 10mm shouldn't be a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom