• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First Handgun

ReluctantDecoy

NES Member
Hi All,

Newbie to the forum and to pistols. I have a little experience with 12 gauge and 22 rifles, but have only fired a 22 pistol for 1 mag (horrible 6" grouping at only 5 yards). That being said, I'm anticipating my LTC any day now (might be jumping the gun, pun intended, but doesn't hurt to ask), so I'm starting to think of a first handgun.

Looking for something newbie-friendly, yet something that will give a little growth space. Concealed carry size would be optimal, but I'm open to all advise. My initial thought was a P938, but I heard that 1911 style controls and SA firing might not be the best for new shooters. I also read that this tiny little gun can kick a good amount due to minimal purchase the grip affords. Then thought about 380's, but I see how divisive those are in terms of opinions on real world stopping power. I've landed on a CM9 as a good split of all factors: size, caliber, and room for growth as I get better. The long DA trigger sounds like a good idea too for someone as green as I am.

Would you consider that a good starting pistol? Seems like experienced people carry them as EDC, but would a new shooter be OK with one? Truth is, muzzle flip and recoil look a little intimidating at the moment, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Any double stack 9mm would be best. I'd say carry as big a gun as you can. I typically carry a Beretta during the day and a Shield when going out dressed up.

Hi All,

Newbie to the forum and to pistols. I have a little experience with 12 gauge and 22 rifles, but have only fired a 22 pistol for 1 mag (horrible 6" grouping at only 5 yards). That being said, I'm anticipating my LTC any day now (might be jumping the gun, pun intended, but doesn't hurt to ask), so I'm starting to think of a first handgun.

Looking for something newbie-friendly, yet something that will give a little growth space. Concealed carry size would be optimal, but I'm open to all advise. My initial thought was a P938, but I heard that 1911 style controls and SA firing might not be the best for new shooters. I also read that this tiny little gun can kick a good amount due to minimal purchase the grip affords. Then thought about 380's, but I see how divisive those are in terms of opinions on real world stopping power. I've landed on a CM9 as a good split of all factors: size, caliber, and room for growth as I get better. The long DA trigger sounds like a good idea too for someone as green as I am.

Would you consider that a good starting pistol? Seems like experienced people carry them as EDC, but would a new shooter be OK with one? Truth is, muzzle flip and recoil look a little intimidating at the moment, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

I don't have the experience to recommend for or against specific handguns, but I would take what people tell you here, then take a trip to a range that will let you try out a number of things, preferably for short money. Shoot as many as you can, ideally making some notes. How does it fit your hand, how do you perceive the recoil, are the controls laid out where you can reach them, etc.

Granite State Range in Hudson NH (not an outrageous drive for you) will rent a lane for all day and rent you a large selection of stuff by caliber. Pay your range fee, pay maybe $20 to rent "9mm," then you can spend all day if you want trading out all their probably 40+ 9mm rental guns. You have to buy their ammo but that's the same as anyplace else. If you can find somewhere closer that does this, there's nothing special about Granite State, it's just the one I know of where you can try a ton in a short time for not too much money.

Bring your notes back here and post, people will pick up on stuff and expand, explain the different actions, etc.

One thing to consider is aftermarket. It's cool to have a non mainstream gun until you try to buy accessories for it, like a holster or light.

With some training (easily the best return on investment if you can afford it, in my opinion), you will likely not have an issue with the recoil or muzzle flip.

Let me know if you want to shoot, I generally go to Nashua NH and Harvard MA. You can shoot my 9mm and .45, and I can go over the different action types etc. for you to have a bit more background when having the discussion.

Train...train...train with whatever you get...you'll do fine.

Sig Sauer P229 is my suggestion. The all metal gun absorbs most of the recoil. Pleasure to shoot. I am a DA/SA guy at heart.

Good luck

I don't have the experience to recommend for or against specific handguns, but I would take what people tell you here, then take a trip to a range that will let you try out a number of things, preferably for short money. Shoot as many as you can, ideally making some notes. How does it fit your hand, how do you perceive the recoil, are the controls laid out where you can reach them, etc.

Granite State Range in Hudson NH (not an outrageous drive for you) will rent a lane for all day and rent you a large selection of stuff by caliber. Pay your range fee, pay maybe $20 to rent "9mm," then you can spend all day if you want trading out all their probably 40+ 9mm rental guns. You have to buy their ammo but that's the same as anyplace else. If you can find somewhere closer that does this, there's nothing special about Granite State, it's just the one I know of where you can try a ton in a short time for not too much money.
This is the best advice. The more guns you shoot the better. Good luck

The first thing you should do is get a 22,and train with it.I would not go to any larger caliber until I get proficient with the 22.When you have that worked out go to a larger caliber,and get some training in carrying a gun.

Reluctantdecoy from Cambridge???? [thinking]

[shocked]

To the OP. Are you set on a semi auto or would you consider a revolver. Revolvers tend to be the simplest platform you can learn on and get good with before moving on to something else. For general plinking and carry look at a S&W J frame revolver like the 642 or 442. They come in 38 special and range ammo is very tame. Then when you want to carry you can get some +P 38 Special that will be more then enough to take someone down. If you're not sure, add that to your list for range day.

For a newbie?

There is nothing better than a J frame 5 shot revolver.

Affordable, cheap to shoot (reasonably cheap) it is going to go BOOM every time, and 5 rounds in the weapon and a couple of speed strips in your pocket is sufficient to cover most shooting scenarios.

I have had Model 36's, I had a 642 Airweight ( sold it I like the exposed hammer) but right now I have an old school model 60 with Pachmyer grips... and I would not trade that gun for anything.

These were the carry gun of many people for decades. You can even feed them +P ammo but not a steady diet.... mine is loaded with JHP +P at all times.

You can move up into a 9mm, 40 Short & Weak, polymer, alloy, hell even good old fashioned steel semi auto's at some point, put for reliability, conceal ability, availability of leather, you name it, nothing beats a J Frame revolver.

There is no 1 do everything gun.

If you want a range gun I would suggest a .22 to start and the SR22 would be a great option. Cheap(er) gun that shoots cheap ammo with no recoil will allow you to practice and get the fundamentals down.

For a first carry gun I would recommend a Glock over a kahr. I carried the PM9 for a few years and they are quirky. You are not supposed to slingshot them and must use the slide release lever. The recoil springs are really stiff and it is kind of a pain to take down and reassemble. If you carry spare mags (which you should), the first round on an empty mag will gradually work itself out. Etc.. In my opinion, Kahr doesn’t offer anything over Glock unless you want a REALLY small .380.

mass firearms school in holliston...check out the firearms they have to rent on their website...go there with some buddies and each rent some of your choices and try each...also remember that they are rentals so they may be beat up a bit...personally i would recommend a 9mm striker fired pistol with a mag capacity of 10 rounds and a good holster...having a manual safety is up to you...i don't like them on my pistols personally and if they are there i never use them...j frame revolvers are nice to carry and reliable but require practice to shoot well due to the light weight, recoil and heavy trigger and you also won't have 10+1 rounds ready to go...if you go striker fired you can always just carry with a full mag and empty chamber till you get used to it

There is no 1 do everything gun.

If you want a range gun I would suggest a .22 to start and the SR22 would be a great option. Cheap(er) gun that shoots cheap ammo with no recoil will allow you to practice and get the fundamentals down.

For a first carry gun I would recommend a Glock over a kahr. I carried the PM9 for a few years and they are quirky. You are not supposed to slingshot them and must use the slide release lever. The recoil springs are really stiff and it is kind of a pain to take down and reassemble. If you carry spare mags (which you should), the first round on an empty mag will gradually work itself out. Etc.. In my opinion, Kahr doesn’t offer anything over Glock unless you want a REALLY small .380.

i agree with this...if you only have cash for one gun though just buy a 9mm...you will get used to it quick...i have a sr22 which i like to shoot cause it's cheap ammo and fun but you won't shoot it much after moving up...i have also shot a pm9 and found the slide/recoil spring much stiffer to rack than other pistols...as most will say a glock 19 double stack...gets you 10 rounds plus the possibility of preban mags in a somewhat compact size...but try before you buy

Last edited:
I like to start with a revolver. For example, a Ruger SP101 4.2" barrel. The .22 is an 8 round gun and it has some heft to it that will help with the forearms getting used to holding a gun. It will make transitioning to the pistols easy. The other nice thing about this gun is that when I had issues with shot groupings, I would put spent rounds in the barrel randomly along with live rounds and spin the barrel. This way I got to see how I was jerking the gun when "firing" the spent rounds. It really helped me learn and how to correct issues quickly.

Last edited:
It really pains me to say it, really pains me.....but Glock. It will work,and is relatively cheap to shoot. 19 if your going to carry, 17 if you are more range oriented. The 26 would carry better, but it is a heck of a lot harder to shoot a little gun well. Then start saving up those nickles for a good gun.

For a newbie?

There is nothing better than a J frame 5 shot revolver

For DA/SA I would go with the SIG P-229, P-239 or P-225. These guns are still made and are supported.

The S&W 3rd generation is always a good choice also.

I brought an LCR after a bad experience with my first 5 shot revolver the S&W new bodyguard .38.. The LCR while a very nice gun it has its benefits I have added a night site and the well it’s cool looking I guess.. However, the grip options are somewhat limited with the LCR and it is very difficult to pocket carry or deep conceal.

I than acquired a stainless steel J frame model 442 no lock my guess it’s from the 1995 era. It isn’t rated for +P, I never shoot + P in it but I carry the Speer gold dot short barrel 135 grain +p in the revolver. I am not worried about the gun having issues with that it is a close in gun. The newer 442s are + p rated. It is easy to pocket carry and the grip and holster options are endless. This gun also looks good next to my stainless steel s&w 3rd generation semi autos.

How do you carry a 92FS? Thing is a cannon. I have never attempted to carry it. Pretty sure it's bigger than my 1911.

C'mon bro. Underwear carry. As previously demoed.

92_FS_UW_Holster.jpg

You just need the right holster, and you too can carry anything.
IMG_4422.jpg
How do you carry a 92FS? Thing is a cannon. I have never attempted to carry it. Pretty sure it's bigger than my 1911.

- - - Updated - - -

C'mon bro. Underwear carry. As previously demoed.

92_FS_UW_Holster.jpg
hahahahahahahahaha I forgot about that thread

+1 on Granite State, great way to try like 10 guns in an hour or two. Go on a weekday if you can.

And go take a pistol class like at Sig Academy or one of instructors on NES. Don't build bad habits into muscle memory.

Get a 9mm if nothing else because of the ammo price, if you are gonna shoot a box or two every month most caliber's aren't an issue. If you get bit by the bug and shoot alot, it'll add up fast. If you just want it in the house, get a full size double stack (I like the Sigs, go figure). As for the 938, its recoil isn't as bad as you think, but its not the best starter gun.

The first thing you should do is get a 22,and train with it.I would not go to any larger caliber until I get proficient with the 22.When you have that worked out go to a larger caliber,and get some training in carrying a gun.
I always tell new pistol shooters to get a .22. Not for the light recoil, but because IMHO it takes 1,000 rounds to become a descent handgun marksman. .22 is so much cheaper the .22 will almost pay for itself, especially if you take all this good advice here and train, train, train.

If you choose to carry, get training! Defensive shooting training is important, but IMHO knowing the laws reagrding self defense is at least as important. If you have to defend yourself with a gun, even if it's a totally clean shoot, it will likely be the start of the worst and most expensive part of your life. In MA you will almost certainly be arrested. This kind of training really helped me develop my carrying philosophy/attitude.

Last edited:
Don't listen to anyone. Go to someplace that will let you try lots of different guns, Granite State is good if you're close. Narrow it down to a few you like then ask for opinions on those. People can tell you their experiences and the guns reliability, but no one can tell you how it fits in your hand.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I'd recommend a Beretta 92FS. I know it's not carry friendly but it's a great beginner's gun, easy to use and maintain and it's a fantastic range and home defense gun too. I've got two myself....

SP101 in 9mm, Ruger model #5783.

- cheap and plentiful 9 mm
- sized to carry, slim 5 rd cylinder and 2.25 barrel
- solid SS gun with enough heft to be soft shooting
- no slide to rack (for beginners slides can be hard to grip, hard to pull back fully, etc)
- easy to load (for beginners pressing rounds into a mag can be hard, even using uplula can be confusing)
- can readily load and fire one round at a time to avoid unintended double taps
- less chance of having to clear a jam
- will not outgrow

For a longer sight radius, go with the 3" or 4.2" in .357 magnum. Can shoot soft .38 spl if .357 magnum has too much recoil for you on a regular basis.

.357 Revolver was my first handgun -- great platform as you can shoot .38 from it as well (and save on ammo cost). Not very practical for carrying (Mine is a K-frame). For carry I employ a .38 aluminum frame snubby revolver.

I agree with all who have said that a 22 is super easy to train with. However I disagree that it is necessary. The United States military successfully trained tens of millions of shooters with full sized big bore hand guns. I was one of the last classes on Parris Island that qualified with a 1911, and for many of us it was the first time we ever picked up a pistol, but we all qualified. The Armorer joked that the Colt I shot had more the half a million rounds through her.

I say rent a 22 for a day. Become familiar with the way it works, then shoot some full size guns. My first gun (s) were a Sig 226 and a S&W 686 with a 4" barrel. I couldn't decide between the two, so I bought them both. I still own them both and will never sell them. Many full sized guns also have 22 conversion kits available.
When I take a new shooter to the range, I start with a 22 and let them shoot a few mags, then I move to the 686 shooting 38 special ( it's a pussy cat), the 9mm in a full sized semi. Most then move to 45 or 357 magnum with no problems.

Most of the year I carry a Sig 229. It is a big gun but with a good holster and belt it carries well. In warm weather I carry a Kahr pm9 because it is tiny but still 9mm.

A good course with a good instructor is invaluable. It will help more than you can imagine. Get good hearing protection. Hearing loss sucks. Shoot as often as you can. Shoot safe. Welcome to NES!

Wow......never thought I'd get so many useful replies. Life got in the way yesterday and I didn't get a chance to reply until now. Thought i'd only get one or two responses. Great stuff guys--thanks! A lot to digest, but I see many people agree to get some hands-on before making a decision. That makes a lot of sense. Just didn't realize that was an option.

I'll look into those places and all the recommendations!

Back
Top Bottom