The Gun Parlor helping the antis..

Transfers can also take time. If you spend 15 minutes of your day to do something what’s that worth?

@$30/hr 15min=$7.50 Any overhead would be the same. You did see I was being generous with the employee hourly rate? A $25. transfer, with the chance of selling some other item, seems to me, to be worth putting up with the BS.

@$30/hr 15min=$7.50 Any overhead would be the same. You did see I was being generous with the employee hourly rate? A $25. transfer, with the chance of selling some other item, seems to me, to be worth putting up with the BS.

Obviously never ran a business. In addition to all the other costs that you have to pay that aren't labor, you have to account for employee time that is not directly billable. To put it in the world of IT, where I have direct experience (ohh wait I had an FFL way back too), a technician at an MSP would bill out at $95 an hour and might earn $32 an hour, but you'd be doing good to have %75 of their time billable. And this doesn't even account for benefits and all the other costs.

You can safely figure a $1000 a month, not counting labor, to set yourself up to do transfers. This doesn't include displays, inventory, and all the other stuff that makes you a gun store. Assuming 4.3 weeks per month and 8 hours 5 days a week, and using your $17.50 "profit" per 15min, you would need to do 57 transfers each month to break even, consuming 855min (14.25h). 57 transfers a month is a pretty large number, and is unlikely. But it would also leave 157.75 unbilled hours, or $4732.50 based on you $30h. You could save a little on rent using shared space but this means definitely not being a full gun store.

Bottom line, no one is making money on transfers even at $40. It's a service they offer to their customers in the hope that they will buy something. Same for the ammo shipments.

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL GUN STORE! or someday you might not have the option.

Bottom line, no one is making money on transfers even at $40
Also, despite the alleged federal protection against it, you are on the hook for life if a gun you sell gets misued and the victim decides you might settle of sued, or just wants to make a point.

Not telling anyone how to do business but why don't more dealers do transfers for free or really really cheap on things they don't sell?

Never work for nothing. If that's what they're paying you, that's what they think you are worth.

You can safely figure a $1000 a month, not counting labor, to set yourself up to do transfers. This doesn't include displays, inventory, and all the other stuff that makes you a gun store.

I never realized doing transfers raises your normal overhead $1000 a month! I learned something new here today. Thanks!

I never realized doing transfers raises your normal overhead $1000 a month! I learned something new here today. Thanks!

You misunderstand. That's the cost of "I have an FFL, business address, etc. With a desk in in an empty room" compared to "I don't have an FFL and shoot on the weekend". To become a real gun shop beyond that, would have more overhead.

You misunderstand. That's the cost of "I have an FFL, business address, etc. With a desk in in an empty room" compared to "I don't have an FFL and shoot on the weekend". To become a real gun shop beyond that, would have more overhead.

The question is; what does it cost an established gun store to do a $25-$40 transfer? That's really what we're discussing here. Break it down for me, if you like.

The question is; what does it cost an established gun store to do a $25-$40 transfer? That's really what we're discussing here. Break it down for me, if you like.
I know nothing about how the process works but it would appear off the bat there's labor to recieve the item and place it into storage, storage related costs, labor to retrieve the item from storage for the customer, ring it up, and filing any related paperwork. Plus a percentage for overhead. No clue how that math works out, and It definitely varies store to store.

I know nothing about how the process works but it would appear off the bat there's labor to recieve the item and place it into storage, storage related costs, labor to retrieve the item from storage for the customer, ring it up, and filing any related paperwork. Plus a percentage for overhead. No clue how that math works out, and It definitely varies store to store.

I must be on the wrong page....sorry.

You want to look at it as some kind of stand alone function. No business works that way. You have to cover the general overhead, which for a gun store is not insignificant. Overhead will vary greatly depending on location and size. When I had an FFL I worked out of my home so I only had the storage and office space as real estate costs (you can't do this anymore). On the other end of the spectrum, retail space in metro-west can go for $20-$25 per square foot triple net (look it up).

This is way off topic at this point and you clearly don't understand what it takes to run a business. I suggest you get your own FFL 03 or 07, all your state licenses, insurance, location, etc. and do your own transfers.

I won't be commenting on this further, so don't bother asking.

OK, I understand. It's nuts to do a transfer on a gun you didn't sell. There can be nothing positive that comes from it. I get it now. Thank you.

I know I said I would comment but did you miss the point that they do it as a service to bring in business, that's the positive. Do you think McDonald's is making anything on it's $.99 coffee? No, but it brings in customers, and doing it for free just brings in the leeches.

Same here. Ammo shipped to Pullman never been before since I live in Framingham. Nice lady took in some conversation 45.00 fee and spoke to the gunsmith forgot his name Kyle I think. Nice people just a ride for me but would do again.

$5 is what I've heard from several ffl's. Cheap at the price imo. I'd rather pay that than give dicks or cabelas the $.

And maura, if you or your minions are reading this we all despise you more than bones and igwt dislike each other. So don't take our familial arguing as a sign that you're accomplishing anything.

Back
Top Bottom