• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best Colt on the Roster?

Bought the comp 9mm nice and tight. I am going to go with Wilson fullsize guide rod#25grfw and a flat wire spring #614g13. other than that very tight shot grouping. very happy with the purchase. going back for the 45 cal not sure if I will go with stainless again or blued.

The cheapest one on the list.
My boss just bought the gold trophy in stainless. In my hands it felt nice. Although I wish it had ambi safety

Older Gold Cups were different from the standard 1911 blueprint in some important ways. In particular, the barrels and triggers were different and could only be replaced with special parts for Gold Cups. The aftermarket for these parts was limited. I am not sure about the specs for the new Gold Cups, but the info sheet says that they have a wide trigger. That suggests that the frames may be different from a standard 1911.

I do hear good things about the quality of current Colts. But anyone considering a Gold Cup should do some research about what aftermarket parts are compatible and whether they care.

I say all this as the owner of an older Gold Cup. I like it, but I would not buy another one. I would much rather have a 1911 built to match specs using the standard blueprint.

Yes I'm new to the forum, and new to guns in general. But, I don't see colt on the 'approved firearm list' for MA.

what am I missing?

Older Gold Cups were different from the standard 1911 blueprint in some important ways. In particular, the barrels and triggers were different and could only be replaced with special parts for Gold Cups. The aftermarket for these parts was limited. I am not sure about the specs for the new Gold Cups, but the info sheet says that they have a wide trigger. That suggests that the frames may be different from a standard 1911.

I do hear good things about the quality of current Colts. But anyone considering a Gold Cup should do some research about what aftermarket parts are compatible and whether they care.

I say all this as the owner of an older Gold Cup. I like it, but I would not buy another one. I would much rather have a 1911 built to match specs using the standard blueprint.
I used to like shooting my dad's friends gold cup from the 60s . I was 15-17 just a nice shooting gun. He went to Perry often.
I think the key is is their anything you can buy or build for under $1500 that will be any better?
The lack of ambi safety is a downer for me. Especially if I have to draw or shoot weak hand in a match.
Also I don't know if it was a over sight but the gold trophy does not have adjustable trigger vs the NM model that does?

Been a while since I actually looked at any 1911s
Going buy the web sight I think I would take the NM model for $1200

I would be awfully surprised if you were ever required to draw weak hand in a practical pistol match, but even so it isn't terribly difficult to disengage the thumb safety with the trigger finger, needs be. Most weak hand strings start low ready, safety off, finger out of trigger guard, or draw and transfer to weak hand, as most match directors have visions of bleeding holes in legs and feet, and pistols somersaulting through the air at the thought of "weak hand draw".

I bought the Competition, and so far it shoots well. In hindsight I would have bought the stainless as the blue, while quite pretty, has turned out not all that hardy for a gun you intend to shoot the crap out of. More than all the gun you need right out of the box (well, I changed the grips) for any practical pistol match, within it's division.

DSCF0862[1].JPG

Last edited:
How would you draw from a holster weak handed in a match? Would you reach across your belly and try and grab the grip and shoot it upside down with your pinky because that's how it would come out of the holster or would you go behind you back and try to draw it Some what properly while not breaking the 180. Or instead of a 2 or 3 gun match are there special 2 holster matches? Just saying

How would you draw from a holster weak handed in a match? Would you reach across your belly and try and grab the grip and shoot it upside down with your pinky because that's how it would come out of the holster or would you go behind you back and try to draw it Some what properly while not breaking the 180. Or instead of a 2 or 3 gun match are there special 2 holster matches? Just saying

Yeah I was wondering the same. Everytime I've had to shoot weakhand (so far only in IDPA, I don't recall doing it in USPSA...yet) I draw then transfer to weak hand. I disengage the safety prior to transferring it to my weak hand.

I am curious about the fit and finish of the new Colts? I've heard the finishing is not that great and that they are rattle boxes.
Any experience? I kind of want one, even though don't really need one.

Production line gun. I wouldn't call it a rattler, by any means. I've got a few that lock up tighter, and a few that don't. The finish is, or was actually, pretty decent, but admittedly I'm not real fussy about that.

Production line gun. I wouldn't call it a rattler, by any means. I've got a few that lock up tighter, and a few that don't. The finish is, or was actually, pretty decent, but admittedly I'm not real fussy about that.
That's sort of what I figured. Wouldn't expect surgical precision at their price points. I'd really like a blued series 70 govt. as a fun shooter and just in case I run out of sticky bombs. :D

I'm told that the Royal Blue finish on the Gold Cup National Match is fantastic...although I've yet to hold one in person...

I visited a few shops in the last week looking at Colts.

After doing the usual function checks, there was maybe one in five that I would have purchased.

Several had an odd catch when the safety was only halfway engaged and you really had to push past it.

A couple, the slide did not release when racked with the mag removed. Pushing the slide release down worked, but it was sticky enough to not release when the tension was removed.

Several showed a good amount of wear to the finish from the slide release rubbing.

None of these are things that could not be fixed, possibly even just with a good cleaning, but they would all stop me paying full price for a brand new firearm.

Some of the Springfields were a little better, but still not as smooth as I would have liked and that includes one that was a custom shop model.

I have the Colt Competition 9mm and the slide definately rattles. The blued finish is very nice, though. Handsome gun.

I also have the Springfield RO 9mm and I notice that the slide is serialized AND the last few digits of the serial # are electro penciled inside the slide. The slide to frame fit is very tight. The bushing is insanely tight, difficult to remove even with a busing wrench. This all leads me to believe the slide was hand fitted to the frame.

I suspect the Colt was not.

Back
Top Bottom