• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking for a good fair priced scope for a shotgun

As I'm getting older the eyes are not as good as they used to be. My gun stand is a great stand where most shots are across a river area in the 80+yd range. Still using the iron sights and have shot it 100% with them but looking to make it a little easier. I have a Rem 870 with a smooth bore slug barrel. It shoots straight as a pin with WW and Breneke slugs and I had a pin tip receiver mount given to me. I would like to find a decent scope, decently priced, to put on it and I'm looking for recommendations.

Last edited:
As I'm getting older the eyes are not as good as they used to be. My gun stand is a great stand where most shots are across a river area in the 80+yd range. Still using the iron sights and have shot it 100% with them but looking to make it a little easier. I have a Rem 870 with a smooth bore slug barrel. It shoots straight as a pin with WW and Breneke slugs and I had a pin tip receiver mount given to me. I would like to find a decent scope, decently priced, to put on it and I'm looking for recommendations.

PS: meant "fair" priced but not sure how to edit the title.

Edit post, go advanced, the title line will be editable.

Look for an older Redfield widefield scope (on ebay). I had one on my 1100. It really helps in low light conditions too. Mine is 4x which I found to be perfect. They also made a lower power (2.5x ?). Should be less than $100. Just checked, they "should be" <$100 but they seem to be a bit more...

Last edited:
I've got a Nikon Prostaff shotgun scope, 2x-7. For $150, it kicks ass. Perfect amount of eye relief, good sized pupil, doesn't fog, and it does a great job at pulling in light. A red dot sight, by design, filters some light out. Also, I find the intensity of the dot often washes out the target, even at its lowest setting. For me, the scope works MUCH better during low light.

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/...taff-shotgun-hunter-2-7x32-matte-bdc-200.html

Last edited:
I agree with pupchow. I picked up a 2-7x prostaff in realtree camo for my mossberg. One suggestion is to make sure the optic is rated for a shotgun. It will get jarred from recoil and as hunting gun it’ll take a beating.

I use a Leupold 2-7 scope. Its very good but recently I bought a Vortex Red Dot used. After using the customer service for an issue, a simple and happy experience, I will be buying from them.

I'll throw in my five cents on shotgun scopes. Around here where the shots aren't far and you get yourself more in trouble playing with the variable power scope and missing your window of a few seconds to shoot, I will say that a FIXED 4X is more than you need IMHO. I used 2.5-8 and 3-9 variables and always had them set at lowest powers when I shot ALL of my deer. I missed a few shots: I had left it at higher power and couldn't pick up my target (tree stand) before it walked away into the thickets! Live and learn. LOL. My farthest shot may have been 80 yds MAX (on the ground) on private property that same deer was so close I could see his breath and he could see mine .... he started walking away keeping trees between me and him until he turned and I got my shot.

ANY scope these days will work even if it is CHEAP. Let me repeat ALL scopes now are better than the scopes of 30 yrs ago. How do I know?! It is called user experience. All of these MFG are made out of a handful of imports from abroad are almost the same except for the markings on them. So will an $1500 scope out perform an $30 one?! YES, at much longer distances, but even then it comes down to the shooter. Hype and advertising is geared towards selling you on the idea that more $$ is better .....pure BS. Shotgun recoil is nothing as bad as the double snap of a spring air rifle (these will shear cross hairs - I've done that on $$$ scopes in the past - live & learn!). Coatings always help gather light & nitrogen filled helps with fogging. Learn to breath to the side of your mouth when you exhale, LOL.

Cheap rings will usually kill your accuracy especially if you use so see through ones because they are crappy soft aluminum (Kwik-Site IS JUNK!!!) ..... bump/bang it at all ..... BYE BYE zero. There are some well made brands. (Weaver MFG are solid) I prefer steel rings, but you get what you pay for. Aluminum rings should have two screws each ring and not just one IMHO (Weaver style with cross slots). OIL all your screws before you tighten anything down. Each time you remove the scope from the shotgun always check zero before you hunt again !!! I kept my scope covered going in unless it was light out - minimize scratching lens if you are going through brush, rain & etc.

Riflescope parallex is usually 150 yds and shotgun scopes parallex is ~75 yds. You can adjust rear to help focus your view.

YMMV.

I would maybe suggest a 3x or 4x prism scope. You get the low level magnification and the benefit of a clear reticle like a red dot. Especially if you have an astigmatism /aging eyes.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

1-4 Leupold. VX-1 is a couple hundred I think. Although I'm using it on a 30/30, it's for the same reason, older eyes. The 1 power is really fast to get on target both eyes open after a little dry fire, and if you were laying them down with irons you'll smoke 'em as far as you can shoot a shotgun with 4 power.

I like a red dot for competitive shooting, and would consider one for my rifle, except the front of the "lens" is by design quite reflective.

I leave the scope on 1 power, figuring if I did have a shot far enough away to merit magnification I will have the time to crank it up.

Leupold offers an excellent warranty, although I never have had had to use it.

Back
Top Bottom