• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Woman charged after loaded gun found unsecured in car within reach of child

MANCHESTER - A city woman pulled over by police who said she narrowly missed a cruiser while drifting out of her lane was charged with endangering the welfare of a child after an unsecured pistol was found in the glove compartment, police said Monday. Alycia Neely, 31, told Officer Andre Smith her car registration was in the glove box next to her handgun, which another officer found fully loaded, not secured in a holster and within reach of the child in the front seat, police said. Neely was charged with endangering the welfare of a child and issued a summons for failing to signal when changing lanes, police said. She was released on $500 personal recognizance bail and was scheduled to appear in circuit court Nov. 28.

<http://www.unionleader.com/article/20171023/NEWS03/171029754>

lol, "child" riding in the front seat ... how else you going to fend off other cars if your gat is not within your passenger's reach?

nice eye brows, chikio,

AR-171029754.jpg

Is that even illegal in NH? Seriously.

NH has a weird child access law, although I wasn't aware that it was based on "maybes". Might be some kind of age limit attached to it, every conviction I've seen based on it seemed to involve toddlers/babies. Not like "a 5 year old was sitting in the car with his father and the pistol was in the glove box" etc.

The last one of these I saw involved some parents that had stashed a gun inside a baby carriage, but it wasnt like an outer pocket... the kid was literally sleeping on bedding in the thing, and the gun was right underneath the bedding.

-Mike

In response to your question, no, those eyebrows are illegal nationwide although many continue to use them.

sharpie eyebrows and neck tat, i think that gives probable cause even if she didn't incriminate herself

NH has a weird child access law, although I wasn't aware that it was based on "maybes". Might be some kind of age limit attached to it, every conviction I've seen based on it seemed to involve toddlers/babies. Not like "a 5 year old was sitting in the car with his father and the pistol was in the glove box" etc.

The last one of these I saw involved some parents that had stashed a gun inside a baby carriage, but it wasnt like an outer pocket... the kid was literally sleeping on bedding in the thing, and the gun was right underneath the bedding.

-Mike

# 2 reason to not have kids.

(#1 = college costs)

-Mike

It's not weird at all. It's very straightforward.

"Negligent storage of firearms" only applies if someone under 16 gainst access to a loaded firearm, and that firearm is used in a reckless or threatening manner, or is used in the commission of a crime, or is negligently or recklessly discharged.

This isn't Mass.

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/lxii/650-c/650-c-mrg.htm

I'm gonna admit being torn on storage laws. As both a gun owner and a parent, I always keep mine either on my hip or in the safe. I have drilled my 5 year old son on the difference between toy gun and real guns and what to do if he finds a gun laying around that doesn't look like a toy. I tested him the other day by leaving an unloaded gun (yes contrary to the RULEZ, there is such a thing as an unloaded gun.) on the table and watched him from the other room. As soon as he saw it, he went right for it.

Anyway, I think it's foolish to be forced to lock up guns when you don't have kids. However I don't have much faith in people to be smart enough to lock them up even if they do have snot gobblers in the house.

I'm gonna admit being torn on storage laws. As both a gun owner and a parent, I always keep mine either on my hip or in the safe. I have drilled my 5 year old son on the difference between toy gun and real guns and what to do if he finds a gun laying around that doesn't look like a toy. I tested him the other day by leaving an unloaded gun (yes contrary to the RULEZ, there is such a thing as an unloaded gun.) on the table and watched him from the other room. As soon as he saw it, he went right for it.

Anyway, I think it's foolish to be forced to lock up guns when you don't have kids. However I don't have much faith in people to be smart enough to lock them up even if they do have snot gobblers in the house.

But explain why it's the business of government to intrude here?

There is no "poison safe storage law," yet there were 42,032 unintentional poisoning deaths in the US last year.

"Safe Storage Laws" are an anti-gun land grab, plain and simple.

Here's an instance where safe storage laws cost lives: https://www.lewrockwell.com/2003/11/richard-poe/the-merced-pitchfork-murders/

It's not weird at all. It's very straightforward.

"Negligent storage of firearms" only applies if someone under 16 gainst access to a loaded firearm, and that firearm is used in a reckless or threatening manner, or is used in the commission of a crime, or is negligently or recklessly discharged.

This isn't Mass.

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/lxii/650-c/650-c-mrg.htm

Well, that's what I thought the only law was too, but apparently the law they are prosecuting this lady under is some kind of catch all bullshit child endangerment thing- much like "disorderly conduct" etc.

-Mike

Well, that's what I thought the only law was too, but apparently the law they are prosecuting this lady under is some kind of catch all bullshit child endangerment thing- much like "disorderly conduct" etc.

-Mike

Hopefully, common sense will prevail, and she'll get this tossed out. My fear is they use this "child endangerment" bullshit as a precedent to back-door in safe storage crap.

The nebulous catch all non speciic bullschtein doesnt over rule a specific statute that clearly states/demonstrates that she is NOT guilty of the crime she's accused of.

The assertion of the cop is that she endangered the welfare of the child by allegedly there being access to the gun.....within her reach/control as per RSA 650-C:1 Negligent Storage of Firearms

One law explicitly states she's NOT GUILTY.......while police are asserting that some nebulouos other law somehow shows guilt?

Not flying......

Only people that will win here are lawyers

All true, and good points, but realize they're not charging her under that statute. They're alleging she endangered her child's welfare by creating an unsafe situation. We all know that's bullshit, but the "child endangerment" definition is far more nebulous, and they might be using it to hold over her head as a threat to get something else they want.

You're damn right about only the lawyers making out..

All true, and good points, but realize they're not charging her under that statute. They're alleging she endangered her child's welfare by creating an unsafe situation. We all know that's bullshit, but the "child endangerment" definition is far more nebulous, and they might be using it to hold over her head as a threat to get something else they want.

You're damn right about only the lawyers making out..

They are trying to charge her for creating an unsafe situation that is explicitly NOT an unsafe situation according to RSA 650-C:1

According to RSA 650-C:1 the firearm was under HER control not the childs

Furthermore it was NOT loaded

The cop/prosecutor need to be held accountable for this nonsense/harrassment.....until we have a system that does so and punishes these false attempts to prosecute they will continue

Last edited:
Manchester mom says dropped gun charge destroyed her life

Alycia Neely, 31, said she was fired from her job as a youth counselor at the Sununu Youth Center. Parental pressure forced her to resign her job as a cheer coach with Manchester East Cobras. And half her family disowned her after her Oct. 21 arrest. But on Tuesday, city prosecutors dropped the charge against her. And Neely said she received a personal telephone call from Police Chief Nick Willard, who said the charges were unfounded and they have been dropped. “He just told me he wishes me the best of luck and that was it,” Neely said Thursday. Neely said she’s worked at the Sununu Center for four years and recently received a raise. She had also taken on part-time work driving for Uber and had just gotten her bills paid off. Financial disclosure forms filed in Circuit Court say she earns $795 every two weeks and gets $817 a month in child support. Neely’s future with the state is uncertain. She is represented by the State Employees Association of New Hampshire, but as a part-time worker has almost no job protection benefits, said spokesman Lauren Smith. “In theory, any part-timer could be let go with little to no causation or warning — and there’s virtually nothing in the law protecting them,” Smith said. A spokesman for the state Department of Health and Human Services, Leon Jake, said Neely had worked at the Sununu Center for four years. “I am unable to provide additional information related to a confidential personnel matter,” he said.

<http://www.unionleader.com/crime/manchester-mom-says-dropped-gun-charge-destroyed-her-life-20171103>

Mom gets job back
http://www.unionleader.com/crime/mom-gets-government-job-back-after-firing-over-gun-charge-that-was-eventually-dropped-20171121

Alycia Neely said she heard Tuesday from her supervisor at Sununu Youth Services Center, the man who fired her. He asked when she could return to her part-time job as a counselor. Neely, 31, said she is happy to get her job back, but the ordeal has been bittersweet. She has spoken to Police Chief Nick Willard, an assistant attorney general and her boss, Brady Serafin, but no one has taken responsibility for the emotional tumult she experienced. "Nobody said, ‘I'm sorry this ever happened to you. It never should have happened,'" Neely said. Neely said she could get her job back only if she signed papers agreeing not to sue and to forgo her lost pay. Neely said she's most grateful to Executive Councilor David Wheeler, R-Milford; Rick Olson, who started a fundraiser that raised $3,600 on her behalf; and state Rep. J.R. Hoell, R-Dunbarton, who dropped off some money for her and helped her with her resume. "I can't thank them enough for being there," she said.

http://www.unionleader.com/crime/mo...n-charge-that-was-eventually-dropped-20171121

Back
Top Bottom