• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Vermont taxi driver charged for allegedly carrying ‘gold skull cane sword’ in N.Y.

Trooper Mark Cepiel, public information officer for Troop G of the New York State Police, based in Latham, said Ken Cormier was pulled over on Route 149 in Fort Anne in the early morning hours of Oct. 3, after he was observed repeatedly crossing into the oncoming lane of traffic. Cepiel said Cormier was the sole occupant of his vehicle and consented to a search, whereupon troopers found a “gold skull cane sword.” Sword canes are specifically banned under New York state law, as are any “electronic dart gun, electronic stun gun, gravity knife, switchblade knife, pilum ballistic knife, metal knuckle knife . . . billy, blackjack, bludgeon, plastic knuckles, metal knuckles, chuka stick, sand bag, sandclub, wrist-brace type slingshot or slungshot, shirken or ‘Kung Fu star.’” Cormier, owner-operator of All Occasion Transportation, is due to appear next week in Fort Anne criminal court on a misdemeanor charge of criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth degree. The charge carries a potential maximum of a year in jail. He said he intends to contest the charge.
https://www.rutlandherald.com/articles/cabbie-sword-charge-is-ridiculous/?cscache%3D1508178915qvs3a3jq4t

I once heard a wise man once say, in an altercation with the police, after being pulled over for doing 55 in a 54:

"Well, do you mind if I look around the car a little bit?"
Well, my glove compartment is locked, so is the trunk in the back
And I know my rights, so you gon' need a warrant for that
"Aren't you sharp as a tack?
You some type of lawyer or something?
Somebody important or something?"
Well, I ain't passed the bar, but I know a little bit
Enough that you won't illegally search my shit

I didn't expect that comment to derail the thread.

The short version: That excerpt taught people to do exactly what Uzi2 said to do when asked to consent to a search of private property without probable cause - say NO.

I didn't expect that comment to derail the thread.

The short version: That excerpt taught people to do exactly what Uzi2 said to do when asked to consent to a search of private property without probable cause - say NO.
You always say NO with or without probably cause. Just make sure if they do a search that you do not piss away your right to contest its validity.

Back
Top Bottom