• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Tests , test dates and locations ?

Noob here, I really would like to get my Ham tech license, but I have no clue where to go for the test who to talk to or what to do for my first steps .
Thank you for your patience and kindness in advance.

Set your sights higher. Lots of people pass the Tech and General in the same sitting. With the Tech you're limited to the higher frequency bands that are line of sight. With the General you have privileges on all the HF bands and can work the world bouncing off the Ionosphere.

Get the General book too and just keep grinding through the online practice tests until you are passing it most of the time.

Don't get too hung up on knowing the theory like it's a college degree. Learn the regulations and procedures enough to stay out of trouble. If you stick with the hobby, the theory will come with time.

Last edited:
Set your sights higher. Lots of people pass the Tech and General in the same sitting. With the Tech you're limited to the higher frequency bands that are line of sight. With the General you have privileges on all the HF bands and can work the world bouncing off the Ionosphere.

Get the General book too and just keep grinding through the online practice tests until you are passing it most of the time.

Don't get too hung up on knowing the theory like it's a college degree. Learn the regulations and procedures enough to stay out of trouble. If you stick with the hobby, the theory will come with time.

Taking the General class and test this weekend.

Any tips or tricks on formulas for a non algebra person? :(

Taking the General class and test this weekend.

Any tips or tricks on formulas for a non algebra person? :(

The magic number "300" is really useful for converting from MHz to wavelength, etc.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!

BobsTestEquations_zpsa3fe9e28.png

I may have to memorize or work on guessing skills. I can add, subtract and divide because we didn't use calculators in HS math 40 years ago! I need remedial algebra now because I sadly don't understand the way the problem is written. I need a symbol key. Or I have to pass all the non math questions.

The band/frequency thing kind of throws me too but I'm starting to make some sense of it in the study material.

I may have to memorize or work on guessing skills. I can add, subtract and divide because we didn't use calculators in HS math 40 years ago! I need remedial algebra now because I sadly don't understand the way the problem is written. I need a symbol key. Or I have to pass all the non math questions.

The band/frequency thing kind of throws me too but I'm starting to make some sense of it in the study material.

I ran the tests on QRZ.com until I was blue in the face. I don't recall any complex math questions when studying for Tech or General, nothing more complicated than simple division.

I ran the tests on QRZ.com until I was blue in the face. I don't recall any complex math questions when studying for Tech or General, nothing more complicated than simple division.

Yeah, I'm on eHam taking a couple of tests a day.
I figure if I keep pounding into my brain something should stick!

Yeah, I'm on eHam taking a couple of tests a day.
I figure if I keep pounding into my brain something should stick!
There's an app for that. I commuted by train at the time and just took practice exams until, like Len, I was blue in the face.

General Pipes at your service.

Now, off to B.L. with some juicy quotes...

If you spend 30 minuets a day for 30 days doing the practice test on QRZ you will be ready to take your test, and will pass.

YAY! Passed the General. I feel like I got the easiest possible mix of questions. I did some studying for the Extra and felt like I knew the info pretty well. But the test I got was apparently most of the info I didn't get to. Almost no question looked familiar and not too many clues in the question so that was a no go.

YAY! Passed the General. I feel like I got the easiest possible mix of questions. I did some studying for the Extra and felt like I knew the info pretty well. But the test I got was apparently most of the info I didn't get to. Almost no question looked familiar and not too many clues in the question so that was a no go.
Congrats, CGU!

Congrats on the Upgrade!!

Congrats on the general!

I think the extra test questions were refreshed July 2016. If you are using the question pools and answers as a study aid, be sure that you are using the latest. Some of the on-line practice tools may not all be updated. Be sure to check.

http://www.arrl.org/extra-question-pool

And, the size of the question pool is much larger as well.

Last edited:

W00t! Congrats! The Extra pool of questions is almost twice as big at the general class, so not surprised by the fact that you didn't recognize a lot of the questions.

Congrats now you need to get up and running and on the air. If you have any questions or need assistance please contact me.
John N1HM

Back
Top Bottom