Ever read "One Second After ???"

Yes, there's three books, One Second After, One Year After and The Final Day. A great trilogy of reading.

I don't think Kim Jung Dumbass is anywhere near cashing the checks his ass is writing. He'll be dead and buried on Happy Mountain before the U.S. is crippled by a NK nuke of any kind.

There's at least a small concern NK satellites in low geostationary orbit above the US could have deployable EMP weapons.

There's at least a small concern NK satellites in low geostationary orbit above the US could have deployable EMP weapons.

Taking out NK is the one legitimate thing the USA should have done overseas in the last 20 years. I'm convinced they have nothing, it's all talk.

HEMP speculation seems to mostly originate from abuse of it's lower-case homograph

[thread=311759]Dupe[/thread] x2.

When you look online, you'll notice how different groups (Engineers, FEMA, dystopians,scriptwriters, etc) are talking about very different classes of HEMP/EMP event, and can't agree on almost anything about the real-world risks. For example, the non-nuclear "z-pinch" as used in research laboratories (and abused in Ocean's Eleven) has a range of effect measured in feet.
[tinfoil]
Internet is loaded with FUD around HEMP, very little factual information on the long-range impact. As the effects on small-scale electronics (handheld devices) drops off dramatically over distance (inverse cube), the most plausible scenario suggests we'd see some radio comm and power grid disruption at any appreciable distance. People like to show how a HERF gun can crash a computer a distance, but not how a hard reboot is all it takes to recover.

It's more fun to panic about TEOTWAWKI than to consider the more realistic scenario: If your proximity to an EM event is sufficient for it to affect devices not plugged into "the grid", you're probably close enough to ground zero for EMP to be the least of your concerns.

We're probably okay... for now.

North Korea's first successful satellite weighed ~100 kilograms, their largest successful satellite in orbit is around 200 kilograms, approximately the same weight as a well-engineered +200 Kiloton warhead. However North Korea is unlikely to have any"well-engineered" nukes; their September 2016 test had an explosive yield of between 10 and 30 kilotonnes, and their best "miniaturized" warhead exceeds the payload capacity of their most recent satellite launch vehicle.

If EMP takes out the US, it's more likely to be CME than NK

Last edited:
It's more fun to panic about TEOTWAWKI than to consider the more realistic scenario: If your proximity to an EM event is sufficient for it to affect devices not plugged into "the grid", you're probably close enough to ground zero for EMP to be the least of your concerns.

This.

Yeah, man made EMP is not going to be a problem for a majority of the grid. Current remote operated relays can trip in nanoseconds, mitigating damage. Additionally the new "shelters" (prefab grounded all steel substation control houses) and shielded. Hell, They are building bulletproof fencing around many subs we work in now. The new stuff is WAAAY more resilient (but harder to fix / replace, easier to maintain) than the old stuff.

Read Ted Koppel’s “Lights Out” after reading “One Second After”. Enjoyed both books. Koppel talks about multiple issues/weaknesses with the grid along with the potential aftermath.

Not a bad read. I also liked the book by James Wesley Rawles, “ How to survive the end of the world as we know it”. A lot of good info in there as well.

[FONT=&amp]Experts have warned Congress that it is ignoring a newly-developed weapon from North Korea which could shut down the US power grid and kill the vast majority of Americans within a year.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]

"I'm not an expert but I did read One Second After."

Just don't read the author's Day of Wrath - absolutely awful. [/FONT]

Last edited:
yahoo click bait, any one with nuclear capability could affect the grid with an emp. actual damage and effective range are calculated but are just WAGs, there are no actual data.

yahoo click bait, any one with nuclear capability could affect the grid with an emp. actual damage and effective range are calculated but are just WAGs, there are no actual data.

There sort of is *some* actual data. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starfish_Prime

So the question is....would the Carrington effect spike that literally made streetlights blow out 900 miles away from the explosion with relatively larger conductors also damage conductors in the microcircuitry and semiconductors in virtually every device from toaster to nuclear power plant control circuits?

I hope we never find out.

I've read One Second After and the other two books in the trilogy.

Koppel's book Light's Out really pointed out the holes in the infrastructure and unpreparedness around the issue.

I've read One Second After and the other two books in the trilogy.

Koppel's book Light's Out really pointed out the holes in the infrastructure and unpreparedness around the issue.

I've read One Second and Lights Out...both good stories but the cause may be a bit far fetched. However, try reading Franklin Horton's series starting with "Borrowed World". The cause of it all is very plausible.

Started reading it a few days ago. Good read. Major eye opening, not only for the 'heavy' stuff, but also things that I at least have never thought about, such as:
1. Your LED emergency flashlight will probably worth shit.
2. Invest in a 60's or 70's driveable car/truck. It might be your single best survival item :)

Started reading it a few days ago. Good read. Major eye opening, not only for the 'heavy' stuff, but also things that I at least have never thought about, such as:
1. Your LED emergency flashlight will probably worth shit.
2. Invest in a 60's or 70's driveable car/truck. It might be your single best survival item :)

1) Use a Farraday to store your spare electronics [tinfoil]
2) Invest in a retired Military vehicle. Other than the CTIS, even a 90's era Deuce and a half has mechanical injection. Older ones will run on just about anything.

"One Second After" is a very good book. I read it years ago. You may also enjoy "299 Days". It is a 10 book series with the 1st book giving the childhood of the main character. the 1st book is kind of boring but it gets much better with the following books.

“Going Home” by A. American wasn’t bad if you liked that.

I’m on the 8th book in the series Conflicted Home. A. American has lost his touch. First 3 books great then they go down hill from there?
I don’t know what happened or why I keep reading each new book? I guess I’m hooked just to see how the characters
end up. Who dies or what happened to cause the whole mess. You’d figure by book 8 there would be a hint of who
or what caused the whole mess? I’m only 1/2 way through book 8 so maybe by the end some questions will be
answered? If not I guess there will always be a book 9?

Back
Top Bottom