8mm Mauser reloading supplies?

TomatoBytes

NES Member
I've recently got a Mauser K98 and wanted to get into the habit of reloading 8mm rounds. Does anyone have recommendations as to what brass shells, bullets, powder to use?
I've heard good things about Prvi Partizan and Hornady for the brass and Nosler for the bullets. Are there other brands to look out for?
Any recommendations for online sites for getting 8mm reloading supplies? Thank you!

You'll figure it out. I will be in violation of forum rules, if I list all the various online sources.
Come down to SE CT and have a look at all of the .323" diameter bullets I have on hand (no longer shoot anything in 8mm).
I have a slew (at least, a fair amount) of factory and surplus 8mm, too.
Prvi's USA office is right across the street from the Stratford, CT train station, but they don't do any retail business there.

You might find some reduced handloads with coated bullets to be a pleasurable alternative to full-tilt IS loads, too.

If you do venture down my way, bring your rifle, so you can shoot on my private 100-meter range.

Last edited:
PPU is good factory ammo IMO. It's what I've been shooting for a while now and I've been saving all my brass to prep for reloading. I haven't been reloading 8mm for very long but PPUs brass seems to be of high quality. Right now I'm loading 8mm using Speer 170 grain soft points with some H4895 underneath it. I haven't done much testing (only about 20 rounds or so) with this load but it seems to work well in my K98. I have another batch loaded and ready to go but I need to find some time get to the range again.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

PPU is great brass. It's also going to be your most popular choice and some of the least expensive.
I used Nosler custom competition 200gn bullets for a while when I can find them on sale. 8mm bullets are not "cheap".
I made 8mm from 30-06 it's easy enough.

Now I just load PPU cases with 2400 powder and cast bullets for about .15 cents per round.
I don't include the price of the brass I treat like once fired after the first load.
PPU brass runs .50 each shipped on average it's almost cheaper to buy PPU factory ammo for the brass. Dicks Sporting goods has PPU 8mm on sale this time of year for around $16-$18 20 rounds.

PPU new brass .50
Primer .03
Powder .17
Nosler CC .22 = .92¢ per round on the first loading.

Or think cost of brass spread out over X reloads. I'm currently on 5 reloads on 50 pieces of brass.
My cast bullets run me .05 , powder .06 primer .03 and gas check .02 for about .15 per round

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom