• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LE in New England

Doing some soul searching and giving some consideration to LE as of late. I'll be graduating with my JD in the spring from BC, and if timing works out right I should hopefully be going away for a year or so of training for the NH ARNG soon thereafter (haven't been accepted yet, so don't want to jynx myself). After a couple summers doing legal work, I don't think office life is for me. Fortunately, my GI benefits covered my law degree, so I will owe nothing.

I have a lot of friends in LE from the Marine Corps, but all in MA or CT. I am giving consideration to federal LE as well as NHSP and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts/experience. Does anyone know if NHSP has as broad a range of specialization as MSP? I'm regretting not taking this last MSP exam, but can't change the past. Also curious as to how pay in NH stacks up to MA. Most of my friends in LE here are living pretty comfortably, but I can't seem to find anything beyond base salary regarding NH pay.

On the federal side, which agencies allow you to pick locations? For better or worse, NH ARNG is priority one right now, so I'll need to be able to get to Concord, NH close to weekly. My wife has wanted to move up there almost the last 10 years, so she's ready to sell the house and head that way. She still has 2 years of grad school left, however.

Thanks all

Mike

Why not think federal like FBI?

I came close way back when I came out of Army with BA.
Unfortunately there was a hiring freeze and then they certainly weren't looking for white males.

Or don't limit yourself to just NHSP. Test in neighboring states?

Last edited:
If you think federal, FCI Berlin is in active hiring mode again (FCI Fairton NJ had a mission change, and is sending their inmates up by the busload).

I retired from the BOP, but I keep in touch with folks there. If you don't have an ego issue with a lower initial pay grade, in three years you'll be making the same as anyone who could have theoretically hired in at a higher grade (but didn't get hired because they wouldn't accept a GL-5).

It's a 25/50 retirement plan. Personal and family issues prompted my retirement at age 51. That cost me a lot of money, but I'm getting by just fine working less than 30 hours a week in an entirely different field (and happy that we made it this far).

With a JD and veteran's status, go FBI. Best health care and pension. I am 31 yr retired from state le agency and I've done ok but my college roommate retired from the FBI as a Resident SSA and does really well for himself. If I had it do over, I would have gone federal.

With your JD, go Fed or go back into the military as a JAG. There is a fair share of Troopers on the MSP with JD’s (thanks to Quinn) Specialization is interesting with that agency. Position vacancies are announced within specific units and you apply. You go through an interview process and if accepted will get s combination of OJT and formal training if required, but there is no “career path” per se. You can jump around and sometimes must be willing to leave a specialized unit to get promoted.

I think the Feds would offer you more in the long run, although in all honesty I’d hate to see a professional military man (even a Marine) become a LEO in today’s climate. I’m beginning to believe that the scale is tipping and many of the newer ones coming on the Job are the bad apples and the good apples are decreasing. It wasn’t always that way and I know some great cops and there are some great cops on this forum, but LE is not what it used to be.

I am probably going to be location restricted to NE. I don't want to count my chickens before they hatch, but I am in the process of applying for an aviation position in Concord in the NH ARNG which will probably require close to weekly attendance. I also can't do JAG concurrently with this. I will most likely finish out (at least) my 20 in the military, however. I have 7 sat years from the USMC I'll be carrying over, and if I get selected for this after about 18 months of MOS training I'll have a 6-8 year obligation, and I'll be a warrant instead of enlisted. I'm regretting getting out the last 3 years I've been in school, as I'd be right at 20 after my obligation if the Guard works out. If I weren't looking at this guard program I'd probably have FBI at the top of my list, or something specialized like EPA CID. However, priority one for me right now is getting into guard aviation.

As far as who goes into LE these days, I'm sure it's a mixed bag. I'm not a scumbag, and I can only speak for myself. Of my good friends who are cops, all are good dudes who bend over backwards to give people the benefit of the doubt. That said, I'd be lying if I said I intend to do patrol stuff my entire career if I go LE, but life takes you funny places so I won't guess at where I'll be now.

Thanks for the input guys

Mike

Last edited:
Dude don't do it. I am a vet too and almost pulled the trigger on a police job. Nights weekends and holidays. And you are now on camera all of the time. One screw up and you are gone. And don't forget the current climate of hatred of the police. Go to the Fed side of the house. There are so many investigator positions. Or be an advocate for veterans. But sitting in a patrol car at 3am staring at the wall is not a good use of your time.

The federal door is likely closed due to the Army. I'm making that (Army aviation) my priority career wise, though I agree it will limit my options.

With all respect given to those in law enforcement, my longer term goal would not be to remain a patrol officer, for many of the reasons mentioned above. I'd like to get into investigative work, or something more specialized (environmental, aviation, etc).

Mike

Last edited:
Doing some soul searching and giving some consideration to LE as of late. I'll be graduating with my JD in the spring from BC, and if timing works out right I should hopefully be going away for a year or so of training for the NH ARNG soon thereafter (haven't been accepted yet, so don't want to jynx myself). After a couple summers doing legal work, I don't think office life is for me. Fortunately, my GI benefits covered my law degree, so I will owe nothing.

I have a lot of friends in LE from the Marine Corps, but all in MA or CT. I am giving consideration to federal LE as well as NHSP and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts/experience. Does anyone know if NHSP has as broad a range of specialization as MSP? I'm regretting not taking this last MSP exam, but can't change the past. Also curious as to how pay in NH stacks up to MA. Most of my friends in LE here are living pretty comfortably, but I can't seem to find anything beyond base salary regarding NH pay.

On the federal side, which agencies allow you to pick locations? For better or worse, NH ARNG is priority one right now, so I'll need to be able to get to Concord, NH close to weekly. My wife has wanted to move up there almost the last 10 years, so she's ready to sell the house and head that way. She still has 2 years of grad school left, however.

Thanks all

Mike
If you want to do both law and law enforcement and still get paid well, consider the SEC. The SEC has the highest paid guv lawyers. And your days will be filled with taking down scumbags that are ripping off innocent investors. My brother is an associate director in the Boston SEC office. His biggest single case recovered over $40M in an investor fraud scheme. He's been with the Boston office for almost 18 years. Loves what he does. He has some pretty funny stories too.

I am probably going to be location restricted to NE. I don't want to count my chickens before they hatch, but I am in the process of applying for an aviation position in Concord in the NH ARNG which will probably require close to weekly attendance. I also can't do JAG concurrently with this. I will most likely finish out (at least) my 20 in the military, however. I have 7 sat years from the USMC I'll be carrying over, and if I get selected for this after about 18 months of MOS training I'll have a 6-8 year obligation, and I'll be a warrant instead of enlisted. I'm regretting getting out the last 3 years I've been in school, as I'd be right at 20 after my obligation if the Guard works out. If I weren't looking at this guard program I'd probably have FBI at the top of my list, or something specialized like EPA CID. However, priority one for me right now is getting into guard aviation.

As far as who goes into LE these days, I'm sure it's a mixed bag. I'm not a scumbag, and I can only speak for myself. Of my good friends who are cops, all are good dudes who bend over backwards to give people the benefit of the doubt. That said, I'd be lying if I said I intend to do patrol stuff my entire career if I go LE, but life takes you funny places so I won't guess at where I'll be now.

Thanks for the input guys

Mike

As a federal LEO, you get paid mil leave. Consider going that route.

Mike, it sounds to me like youre heading for WOCS at Ft. Rucker ? I know a few cops that are also UH60 sticks, and their LE careers basically took a back seat to their .mil jobs. Wanting to be a WO tells me you want nothing to do with command, and just want to fly, and thats a good thing in my book.
Lateral movement within LE is limited unfortunately, and assuming you feel like putting up with the *******s at the police academy for 6 months, then a year of probation, you are still at the bottom rung of the ladder. Patrol work is fun for about 5 years, especially if youre a "digger", but then it gets old, very fast. Moving to specialized units is often a frustrating and unfair proposition; the best candidate doesnt always get the job. Its a good job for sure, great benefits, pay, retirement, but working last halfs, weekends, holidays, during the kids school play etc? That blows.
The guys I know on the federale side of the fence are in a better world, in my opinion. I know theyve had to pay their dues as well, but if youre looking to become an inspector or investigator, youll get there quicker as a fed.

Starting a career as a state or municipal LEO at this juncture of your life will do nothing but frustrate the piss out of you Mike, that I can promise you.

There is still the logistical hurdle of potentially weekly cross-country travel. Not saying it is impossible, but I don't think it would be comfortable.

Mike

Maybe short-term. No matter how you cut it, while going through school for NH Army Guard, you are going to be rather occupied. Once you are a traditional guardsman you'll find that working for the federal govt is a great way to balance full-time employment with guard commitments.

^Guard schooling will be full time for ~18 months, then weekly commitment during obligation as a pilot (6, possibly moving to 8 years) tends to be almost weekly from what I've been told. I'll be doing at least 10 years as after MOS training I'll be at my 10 year mark, and I may as well do at least 20.

I am looking to go WO aviation. I have nothing against being a commissioned officer, and I considered it. That said, since this will not be my fully time job, I don't want the additional duties and distractions that come with it. I also would prefer to fly as much as possible. As I said, I don't want to count my chickens before they hatch, but I have a completed packet in with NH and they should be holding their board soon. I've heard rumors on slots and applicants which are encouraging, but rumors mean crap. I do feel good about my application though. If I don't get it, I'll re-apply for the next board.

I'll be starting at the bottom no matter where I go. Law, law enforcement, fire, etc. The only other option would be to start my own practice from the ground up, which I wouldn't want to do without work experience anyway. Given the nature of my education, I think even if LE ended up being miserable, I'm not throwing away other options. Undoubtedly I would be setting my legal career back, but there are plenty of students here 10 years my senior that will be starting with 6 figure salaries. As to the academy, yeah it will suck. I'm used to it lol.

Again, I hear you guys on the federal side, I'm just not super confident that would work well with the obligations that come with aviation.

Mike

I am looking to go WO aviation. I have nothing against being a commissioned officer, and I considered it.

WO is the best of both worlds, although they did screw things up a bit years back by letting Warrants have command slots.

When I was a cadet on a CTLT assignment, I had a crusty old WO5 salute me. He had to be almost 65, and I was all of 21.

Paid military leave is only for military service on orders. Weekly/monthly drill is not on orders; only annual training has orders cut.

No this is not true. You can get orders for weekend drills. Not everyone works m to f. I used to do this for my law enforcement, construction, medical soldiers and so on.

How do you manage to not burn the 3 weeks? All the guys I work with burn it all on AT and have to dip into vacation days for drill weekends.

At is 10 work days. And maybe an additional day or 2 during the year. You can also do SUTA to make up drills and drill with other units. Also ADOS as well. Drug deals to. Work
Some events in lieu of drill-memorial day and parades and such.

Paid military leave is only for military service on orders. Weekly/monthly drill is not on orders; only annual training has orders cut.

Incorrect. Mil leave can be used for drill weekends or any number of other types of time. (ST days, PT days, AT days, etc.)

At is 10 work days. And maybe an additional day or 2 during the year. You can also do SUTA to make up drills and drill with other units. Also ADOS as well. Drug deals to. Work
Some events in lieu of drill-memorial day and parades and such.

The guys at work always seem to get 3 weeks of AT and go to Germany, Japan, stuff like that. They often do 3-4 day drills for some reason, plus schools and stuff.

I guess it depends on the unit.

The guys at work always seem to get 3 weeks of AT and go to Germany, Japan, stuff like that. They often do 3-4 day drills for some reason, plus schools and stuff.

I guess it depends on the unit.

There are other pools of money. If you get activated for an national emergency- storms
And other declared emergencies there is 45 days you can grab from the feds as well per year. I used 11 days of this leave for the marathon bombing and a few storms. This is in addition to drill pay. And some units will put you on orders to travel to and from drill. If you have a good relationship with the unit a lot is possible.

Back
Top Bottom