• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Wayland Rod and Gun - Any good?

jayhitek

NES Member
Is anyone a member of Wayland Rod and Gun? The pictures on their website look like their 25 years old.. So I'm not sure what the range looks like.

I'm looking for a range near Natick that has outdoor 100 yards for shooting 223/556..

Hopefully within a 20-25 min drive.
Currently eyeing Westwood but don't know their membership openings..

Looks like both are in Hopkinton. Didn't expect that from Southborough Gun Club..

And both are 25 mins from my house.

I'll take a look at their websites.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

IIRC "M1911" (Mod) was an officer of Wayland R&G some years ago. You might ping him for info.

ETA: Correction of user name.

Last edited:
Both Hopkinton and Southboro are good clubs, though I think Hopkinton has the edge in the outdoor pistol/rifle range department. Hopkinton is located 3 miles south of the I90/495 interchange.

I think Southboro is more active in the social (ie, not shooting) activities - BBQs, club events, etc.

Both Hopkinton and Southboro are good clubs, though I think Hopkinton has the edge in the outdoor pistol/rifle range department. Hopkinton is located 3 miles south of the I90/495 interchange.

I think Southboro is more active in the social (ie, not shooting) activities - BBQs, club events, etc.

Southboro is more friendly than HSA don't let your jealously blind you.

I'll play with Waze when traffic dies down for a real world weekend scenario..
Weekends are about 25 minutes from Natick via rt 135. The only time there is a real problem is from about 4PM to 6PM on weeknights, as 135 West/Main St Hopkinton Hopkinton can get really backed up with commuting traffic.
Southboro is more friendly than HSA don't let your jealously blind you.
This may be true, but you don't have to wait a full year to get your card key turned on for the indoor range at Hopkinton (just track down ElPrez for the orientation and range test).

I do suspect that Southboro has better food, on account that Hopkinton only has a self-serve fridge for soft drinks and water.

If you are not up to joining both, you should be sure to visit them both, meet a few people, and get the feel of each place.

If what I read from the Southboro website is true, Hopkinton is a bit more flexible as to allowed types of shooting as it does not have any ban on holster draws outside of club events.

Last edited:
I think you should visit any club you have the ability to. Don't let the internet influence you as to what is better for you only you will know. The key is to support all gun clubs because we have too many wanting to shut us all down. Some clubs allow drinking some don't some have tedious rules some don't and as Rob has pointed out Southboro has the best food around so best advice is to shop around and join more than one club!

Can we agree now Rob?

I noticed Southborough encourages more volunteering. $300 to join first year but gives $100 back the more you offer your time. Also saw that free memberships for 15 year members that ar over 65. Guessing the new members are paying for the old members on a volunteer only club. Makes sense.

Hopkinton charges a little more on a yearly basis but let upfront. In that sense, both seem very similar cost wise.

Is Southborough also a 24/7 indoor range access?
With only 6 or 7 bays at both.. Is it always busy?

Just thinking at MFS, and how busy their indoor range is.

And in Hopkinton, the range only says 200 yards. Can you move targets in to 50 and 100 if you want?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I noticed Southborough encourages more volunteering. $300 to join first year but gives $100 back the more you offer your time. Also saw that free memberships for 15 year members that ar over 65. Guessing the new members are paying for the old members on a volunteer only club. Makes sense.
Not that different from Hopkinton, except the discount is applied at renewal time - not prebilled and refunded. Also, the Hopkinton bylaws give "Senior membership" at "reduced dues" to 10 year members age 65 and older. I believe this means these members pay $5 or $10 annually for their card key fee as their total dues, and they do not have a work requirement.

Is Southborough also a 24/7 indoor range access?
I think so. It used to be only when opened, but they have gone to a card key system.

Can you move targets in to 50 and 100 if you want?
Most positions on the Hopkinton rifle range are 100 yards, with two at 200 yards. You can use targets at shorter positions as long as the target carriers are high enough for your rounds to hit the lower part of the rear berm and not the ground. If you go 35 yards or shorter, you will probably prefer one of the pistol pits (rifles allowed in the last couple of these).

In fact, there is a separate qualification for 200 yards, and those are the only shooting positions where you may not host guests.
Just thinking at MFS, and how busy their indoor range is.
If Southboro is anything like Hopkinton, you will sometimes encounter other shooters but always find a lane unless there is a club event using the range.

Last edited:
I'm a member at bot HSA and SRG

They both have their advantages.

The indoor range at SRG is currently being renovated but it is 24 access

I've never run in to an issue with not getting a lane when I've gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a member at bot HSA and SRG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think to be fair I am going to take a look at both clubs and give er' a looksee.

Rob, I'll take you up on your tour offer one of these days.
Same goes for you MisterHappy.

Actually.. LuvDog, how come you below to both seeing as they're only 5 minutes from each other?

Back
Top Bottom