2017/18 Hunting Thread!!

Ready for tomorrow. Planned on using my scoped Ithaca but the trigger isn't resetting and I didn't have time to drop it off and have it repaired soon enough so using an old Remington mod 11 that my late father had from way back. Heavy and long but it's a workhorse. Good luck and be careful out there.

Good luck everyone but first and foremost.......be safe. No deer is worth hurting someone over.

Now.....my dilemma.....spent some time at the club yesterday to double and triple check the guns. With my 20 gauge with red dot best I get is fist sized group at 25 yards just a scotch high. At 50 yards I'm paper plate sized but fairly centered. With my red dot on my muzzle loader I get all rounds touching at 50 yards and in the 10 ring! Going out with the crew driving deer tomorrow. I'll be pushing half the day.

Shotgun or muzzie?

Good luck everyone but first and foremost.......be safe. No deer is worth hurting someone over.

Now.....my dilemma.....spent some time at the club yesterday to double and triple check the guns. With my 20 gauge with red dot best I get is fist sized group at 25 yards just a scotch high. At 50 yards I'm paper plate sized but fairly centered. With my red dot on my muzzle loader I get all rounds touching at 50 yards and in the 10 ring! Going out with the crew driving deer tomorrow. I'll be pushing half the day.

Shotgun or muzzie?

Shotgun. If you’re pushing or sitting chances are if you get any clear, safe shot it’ll be on a running deer.
ML is nice for still hunting, in a stand or slowly stalking.
I shot a nice doe on the run about 65 yards from me last year as I was a sitter on a crew. I did not lead enough on my first round and hit her in the rear thigh. She stumbled but got right up and kept motoring. Put the crosshairs about 3 feet in front of her for the next round and got her in just behind the shoulder just before she hit the tree line. (This was out on open marsh where she’d been flushed from one little island and was hauling ass for an adjacent one.) She fell and died at the tree line. If I’d been carrying the ML I may not have even bothered to attempt it. Hate the idea of wounding one and it getting away.

Ive got my finger crossed i get lucky this morning.it would be my first deer, I'd be even happier if my brother gets one..its his first attempt ever and ive seen many hunters succeed with just dumb luck.

Ive got my finger crossed i get lucky this morning.it would be my first deer, I'd be even happier if my brother gets one..its his first attempt ever and ive seen many hunters succeed with just dumb luck.

My first deer was exectly that. I wish there were like a drone video or go pro of it. So easy it was ludicrous.
Good luck out there friends. Shoot safe and straight.

Shotgun or muzzie?

Muzzie all thru shotgun and the rest of the season. Just my preference.

Good luck everybody!

Was hunting WMU A in New Hampshire these past 3 days; that seems to always be a difficult area to hunt. Some tracks, but didn't see even a hint of an actual deer! Plenty of moose though. Oh well, it's always a good trip and its good to catch up with the old group of buddies!

original.jpg

Was hunting WMU A in New Hampshire these past 3 days; that seems to always be a difficult area to hunt. Some tracks, but didn't see even a hint of an actual deer! Plenty of moose though. Oh well, it's always a good trip and its good to catch up with the old group of buddies!

original.jpg

I would like some information on the chair/backpack combo you are using. I like the looks of the back support.

Thanks,

Bob

Spent Monday hunting and didn't see a single deer. Found out why at about 1pm. A coyote came in and stopped 20 yards from where I was sitting. He stared at me.....not really threatening at all just stared. I put the red dot on his face and in my head gave him the choice....turn left or right and live......take another step toward me and boom! He chose to walk to the left and live.

I know I'll catch hell from some for not killing it....but I can't shoot anything I'm not going to consume. Sorry guys it's my way.

I feel like i might actually get one this year..the thermal pics dont do it justice but those 3 white spots are deer, at least one buck.at approx 275 yardsimage2.jpeg image1.jpeg

Its the only spot in ma ive had such visibility, the area was logged out maybe 8 years ago but was left such a mess the forest hasn't reclaimed it as fast as normal. We need another stand about 150yards in front and to the left of this one.

I wish i could have used a .308 rifle do to the range.we weren't in the stand for more than 5 minutes before these deer congregated where they are in the photo.
They just stayed in the same spot for almost 2 hours..i think its because it was fairly windy.
Im hoping to see them again in a few hours.i thought they'd come to me last night because the only nearby Water source is about 300 yards behind the stand.

It was a nice experience to have with my brother, he just really wanted to throw some lead at them...but they were about 3x as far as would have been a worth while range.

Its the only spot in ma ive had such visibility, the area was logged out maybe 8 years ago but was left such a mess the forest hasn't reclaimed it as fast as normal. We need another stand about 150yards in front and to the left of this one.

I've got a spot similar to that, which has been logged. It's about a square 1/4 mi, and very sparse. Moore moose sign than deer though. You're not in zone 4S are you? ;)

Nope, its a really good spot.its going to be excellent for coyote.
It abuts a wildlife management zone.
I think it had to do with logging, the drought and a few other factors to create this interesting spot.

Its always nice to see deer the first day, it lets you know they're out there.

Im going to put a another stand,a feeder and one of these code black game cameras out there for next year.

I feel like i might actually get one this year..the thermal pics dont do it justice but those 3 white spots are deer, at least one buck.at approx 275 yardsView attachment 213680 View attachment 213681

Are you in Zone 5, Your location looks familiar to one I'm hunting. I've used my Pulsar Apex to see them also in the dark and just before light. It is also good for what you are doing to identify the target.

Damn fine looking outfit. The terrain looks very familiar to where I was across the river in Vermont.

original.jpg

I've hunted just about all day, every day this week in MA. Had one encounter with a deer - was making a ton of noise on the otherside of think cover and a stone fence. Wouldn't come say hello no matter what I tried.

Heading back for an evening sit in about 20 mins. Fingers crossed - Today and tomorrow are the last two days I have to hunt for a bit. Really want a deer for the freezer.

Back
Top Bottom