• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2017/18 Hunting Thread!!

Heading out tomorrow taking the day off. I'm not seeing deer. Need to shake up my 'strategy'. I use that term lightly as I don't really have a strategy. I cover my scent, check the wind, move quietly and sit where I have a view of some yardage and there is sign around (prints, droppings, etc). Good luck if you're out there too.

Last 5 mins of opening day of shotgun. She stepped out at 90 yards across the field. Boom splat.....View attachment 214797
Nice Rob.

Christ it was a whiteout in my area that time of the day Saturday. 2-3 inches of snow on the ground already and couldn't see 30 yards in the woods.

Sunday morning would have been sweet to hunt even if was only the muzzloader.....but yeah...fxcking MA sucks.

Still hoping to score. I REALLY don't want to toss out a unfilled doe permit for my zone (4N). Those are hard to come by.
The only day I saw deer was opening day of SG with no chance for a shot.

Greg

While i didnt get my own deer i saw plenty..i guess i should be happy with that..
I did shoot a deer through the neck, when it didnt stay down.. it was a nice shot at a respectable range with my 20 gauge.
Upon walking to it, it was clear it wasn't going much further.the first shot took an entire right front leg off leaving a fist size hole.

Remington 1 oz rifled hollow point was devastating.both front shoulders meat was ruined.Still harvested 23lbs of very tasty meat.
20171213_145413.jpg

While i didnt get my own deer i saw plenty..i guess i should be happy with that..
I did shoot a deer through the neck, when it didnt stay down.. it was a nice shot at a respectable range with my 20 gauge.
Upon walking to it, it was clear it wasn't going much further.the first shot took an entire right front leg off leaving a fist size hole.

Remington 1 oz rifled hollow point was devastating.both front shoulders meat was ruined.Still harvested 23lbs of very tasty meat.
View attachment 215177

Nicely done! I ended up tossing one of my doe's shoulders...as the slug really shattered it! But hey, gotta get the job done! :)

I recommend this ginder/sausage stuffer, it helps salvage any kill or butchering mess ups.. its not a workhorse like my hobart slicer, but takes up little counter space, is super easy to use/clean. I made venison burgers and great meatballs.
Sausage soon....its great for leg meat that otherwise wouldn't be very good and mistakes on primer cuts..
s-l400 (2).jpg

The sausage will be anything that isnt stew quality, but no silverskin or other gross-ness

Last edited:
My son (16 years old) hit a nice buck 5 points 140. I hit a 4 point 90 pounds. Both today about 3 hours apart. Heart meat is marinating and the liver is soaking in milk. Going to have a feast tomorrow!

IMG_20171213_150849047.jpg

IMG_20171213_103031155_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
2FFEA064-BEC8-4A96-8D64-1FFA0B4562AA.jpeg Got this 6pt, 75 yds and a big doe in NY about two hrs apart. Doe was 225 yards, heart shot. Didn’t need a follow up shot. 7mm/08 Great round for deer. I regularly shoot at 200yds and she was standing broadside, boom!
Worth the 7hr drive. Good vittles, made a bunch of jerky too! Good stuff.
Happy Holidays to all you hunters.

Whacko and DanO well done.
I got some more vaca days so im staying optomistic.
Just stick with it. I got my buck with only an hour of the day left. Was thinking about packing it up because we were so cold.....glad I stayed with it.

Nice Guys. Awesome to see the kid get a deer.

Good to see some tracking snow, seeing little dink buck and doe tracks the last time out, but finally I got on a big fist sized track, with dewclaws every step that I figured was made at right after the rain went thru around like midnight to 3am, and melt/ no snow in it. Found it at 7 am, and tracked slow for 3.5 miles, into a large state area near my house. Kinda timed it, although I have no idea how fast the deer would walk...I figured if the track was made around 3am, by 9-10am I should be somewhere where the deer would want to bed around first light if walking at a similar clip give or take.

Around 10am, I came to a nasty wet swamp, that came up to a little ridge/rise of hemlocks. I thought the deer might be in the swamp on the other side...so I worked around the edge super slow, looking into the swamp, and edge with the scope every two steps. Then as soon as I found where the tracks where it came out, I was kinda sitting there scratching my ass and wondering if I should keep going, when a huge buck takes off about 30 yards away on the little ridge above me. I was so intent on looking in the swamp for the deer, I never bothered to check the little ridge above it, and he was watching me the whole time.

I gave chase for another mile, and he went from run to steady walk, but I had to be somewhere at 2pm, so I had to break off, still being about 2 miles from the nearest road. Fun day though....

Thx Chris, definitely stay optimistic, I have gotten more than one last minute, last light etc. I have stuck it out in cold/rain for a little while longer and has paid off nicely. I have friends wives that always ask how come I am so “lucky”.
Truth is I spend a lot more time where the deer are instead of where the Beers are, haha.
Good luck to all in the last couple weeks.

Would have liked them to be a bit bigger but know from experience how bad an unfilled permit tastes.

Mine is the bottom one.
Felt pretty lucky.....when she came out she started walking broadside.
Picked my opening when she stepped into it pop......aargh.
Head turns toward me....locks on.
Made my best squirrel noise..............just stay right there a minute.
Run the bolt dig out another cap.....more squirrel noises.
your doing fine.
cap on bolt closed...she starts walking again.
pick the next opening .....capow.
saw the hit.....30 yards and a cartwheel.
The other one was shot by a very young man....bang flop.
of course this is after he missed the first shot.......LOL
IMG_20171215_074122906.jpg

Last edited:
Buddy of mine harvested a buck and a doe on the last day of muzzie season last year......one minute apart.....with 30 minutes of daylight left! Man can he reload fast!

Stick with it.

...and just at dusk today...I watched 3 does taking turns standing broadside to me at 60 yards.... Still waiting for a buck!
No worries...I'll be back in the woods tomorrow AM!

...and just at dusk today...I watched 3 does taking turns standing broadside to me at 60 yards.... Still waiting for a buck!
No worries...I'll be back in the woods tomorrow AM!
No antlerless permit eh? Well.....at least you know your in a good spot

I lucked out this year big time. My son and I both harvested bucks in zone 9 on the same day.....so we both have antlerless tags left to fill and 2 - 3 more hunts left! Feels good to have venison in the freezer and still have antlerless permits in our pockets!

Back
Top Bottom