• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Storing cast boolits

The Goose

NES Member
This is probably something that a lot of folks already do, but I am always a little slow and it took me a while to figure this one out. I never liked putting sized and lubed bullets in a loose container. So a while ago I started grabbing the empty plastic ammo holders in the trash at the pistol range. They make great holders for my cast bullets. The .45 ACP work great for 45/70, .45 Colt, .455 etc. I also cast a myriad of smaller sizes all the way down to .32 for a .32 S&W Bulldog. It is easy to place them in after sizing and lubing and protects them during storage and they are readily accessible when I need them. If that has helped one poor soul today I have accomplished my mission in life. LOL!!!

I store my cast with out lube and just lube them as needed.
I do stack the lubed ones in plastic inserts I have while they wait to be loaded

I store my cast with out lube and just lube them as needed.
I do stack the lubed ones in plastic inserts I have while they wait to be loaded

I always like(d) to lube/size right away because the bullets are softer. Running an age hardened bullet through my Star makes me worry about bending the handle.

I say (d) because it's been since the casting seminar last year that I've touched my casting stuff :( Life gets in the way.

I cast mostly tumble lubed bullets, but the few I don't tumble lube, I pan lube. I just have them in bulk in a sturdy cardboard box. One or two here and there will have some lube knocked out of the grooves but not enough for me to look for alternative storage methods. FWIW When I cast, I cast in huge batches, 1000's at a time, I couldn't imagine individually placing each one in its own cubby. I used to place reloads in those plastic flip boxes but even thats become a pain in the rear, so I just load in bulk and keep them stored loose and topped off in ammo cans. Precision ammo or hunting ammo gets their own special box though.

I buy $2 cigar boxes from the local tobacco shop, and lube/size my bullets,. and stack them in rows./ I can often get two layers of sized castings this way. I have made an angled bracket that I can place the cigar boxes on, and work from that when I am reloading. I have about 20 cigar boxes marked and stacked on the end of my reloading bench at the moment.

So I keep an eye on castboolits forum and they have a similar thread running over there.
One suggestion that I really like was the trading card storage boxes.
They're heavy cardboard. The flap fold securely on the outside of the box with the the little slide in tabs on the side.
They're cheap as can be and come in many sizes.
Easy to write on. The guy who posted it said he liked to stand big bullets up and once he has one layer he can cut a piece of old cereal box or similar to top place on top before he stacks more bullets. Pretty nice way to keep those big bullets stored neatly without damaging them. Or for the bulk plinking bullets who cares how you toss them in there as long as it's a nice secure box to hold them.
I think I'm going to order some to try

300ct Cardboard Box

I don't think they list dimensions on that website but amazon shows the dimensions (also very expensive on amazon)
  • Size 5 x 3 3/4 x 2 3/4
group buy??

I've been looking for a good storage solution too. I have a bunch of random size cardboard boxes left over from Christmas present orders but they don't stack very neatly being all different. Are you set on the 300ct size? It's the same price for the 400, 500, and 600 boxes. I don't think we'd want to go too big but maybe the 400ct?

Also, they have a bulk price of .50 per box on orders of 50, so that'd only be $25. Unfortunately, the cheapest shipping option is $26. They do offer free shipping on $100 orders but that's 200 boxes. I don't need that many. I would go for 20 if we get another 9 interested, it would be $10 each for 20 boxes.

Ok so if you click estimate shipping in the shipping cart area on that site you can see if your shipping is cheaper than their “flat rate”
This website is $14.50 shipping so 42 bucks shipped about 85 cents a box. The boxes are also
5 5/8 x 4 3/16 x 5
Which seems like a nice storage size for me.

Back
Top Bottom