• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Near Fest Question ??

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
Is Near-Fest strictly a flea market?

Or do they have some seminars like Boxboro did?

The "about" Near-Fest says that they have seminars but I can't find a list of anything on their website? Can someone please provide a pointer to where this info might be found?

TIA

Last edited:
Flea market, commercial vendors and seminars. Not as many seminars as Boxboro though. They usually post a list about a week before.

Mostly a much bigger flea market and more vendors. You can sometimes get deals on newer stuff at the flea market as impulse buys are sold. If you go, park outside the gates where it is free. I go at least once a year. It's fun to walk around hunting for unique stuff, picking up various parts/connectors/etc, and generally a nice social event.

BTDT, I'm told that they won't post any seminars until ~1 week beforehand.

I think you are correct. I usually buy a ticket at the gate. I only have time to go one day. I haven't attended any seminars there yet. I do a few loops around the flea market picking up various things. Socialize a bit then I go on a NH LGS tour. If there is any time left, I stop at the Salem candy store (HRO).

I am home for this one, so I will probably go on the 13th. I like to take the dog along for a few laps around the grounds.

Take note of the changes to the entrance. The old gate where people used to enter is now closed because they built new barns in that area and fenced it off. They're supposed to be redirecting people to an entrance off Stage Rd a little further down the road.

If you go and I highly recommend that you do make sure you bring a bag load of money. If you don't you're going to see hundreds of things for great deals that you are going to regret the rest of your life that you didn't buy.

I bought my Kenwood TS-950SDX Digital there. I think I paid 800?? Or so? Now I think it's worth 2k? Not sure but I know it's worth way more than I paid. I don't think I'd ever sell it unless the offer was incredible. They don't make anything like that anymore unless you want to go up into the Yaseu $10,000+ price range.

There are always a few seminars. There is also an exam session for various levels of licenses. There is a lot of junk, some decent stuff, and a few bargains. A lot depends on what you are looking for.

Much like a gun show, except since it's outdoors, the smell factor is less. Plus, there are stables on the grounds. [wink]

There are always a few seminars. There is also an exam session for various levels of licenses. There is a lot of junk, some decent stuff, and a few bargains. A lot depends on what you are looking for.

Much like a gun show, except since it's outdoors, the smell factor is less. Plus, there are stables on the grounds. [wink]

It's pretty light on the seminars, only a few. Here's the schedule of seminars and the exam session.

http://forum.near-fest.com/index.php?topic=1361.0

Last year at Boxboro I saw W1TP's Enigma talk. It was really good, and standing room only. If you're a cryptology buff, or just a history buff, I highly recommend it. He's had some real adventures in foreign countries pretending to be a college history professor so he can dive a German lake for Enigmas that should have been destroyed but were just dumped in a lake.

If you go to the MIT Flea Market, someone, probably him, has an Enigma display inside the garage. I don't recall a month that I've gone that it hasn't been there. There are some machines, posters, and an audio or video.

Last year at Boxboro I saw W1TP's Enigma talk. It was really good, and standing room only. If you're a cryptology buff, or just a history buff, I highly recommend it. He's had some real adventures in foreign countries pretending to be a college history professor so he can dive a German lake for Enigmas that should have been destroyed but were just dumped in a lake.

I'll be around for a few hours tomorrow afternoon. Unfortunately I'd made plans for the 14th several months ago that I can't get out of...I'll be looking for antenna stuff. My center fed zepp fell apart this spring. I've been using that 450Ω window feed line for years but may try making my own 600Ω feed line if I can find the spreaders up there. Something like this http://www.73cnc.com/product_p/ls100.htm

One angle is that to the degree that there are a few highly desirable rigs for sale cheep,
they go almost immediately on Friday morning.

It's not that there's not tons of rusty crap for sale both days.
But guys who are hoping to score an epic bargain show up at the starting gun on Friday. (That's the advantage of Friday).

It's not Dayton;
but if you smell something,
it's a ham -
not the stables.

If you go to the MIT Flea Market, someone, probably him, has an Enigma display inside the garage. I don't recall a month that I've gone that it hasn't been there. There are some machines, posters, and an audio or video.

Yep, that's Prof. Tom. Very nice guy.

73's. BCNU. (Both days, this time).

I scored a pretty sweet 10 foot tripod tower on my way out for $5. I am pretty pumped about that, it will mount my ridiculous drunken antenna purchase over my garage pretty well.

One angle is that to the degree that there are a few highly desirable rigs for sale cheep,
they go almost immediately on Friday morning.

It's not that there's not tons of rusty crap for sale both days.
But guys who are hoping to score an epic bargain show up at the starting gun on Friday. (That's the advantage of Friday).

It's not Dayton;
but if you smell something,
it's a ham -
not the stables.

Yep, that's Prof. Tom. Very nice guy.

73's. BCNU. (Both days, this time).

He did an awesome session on the history of the Enigma.

I went on Friday, showed up about 3:00pm, stayed until dark. Considering the great weather, I was surprised at the low turnout, the event seems to be past it's peak and on the downslide.

Unfortunately, that can also be said of the hobby if judged by new young participants.

Well they did have a new General pick the winning tickets yesterday, he is 12 yrs old. But yes, most everyone I saw there was well North of 40 yrs old.

We need to get the new folks in on the digital side of things. Show them the alternative to their locked down little boxes

Well I did attend a very full room for people learning about DMR. Many fewer for the D-Star session. I now have both myself.

----------------

First timer, I found it very confusing to find things (places open for food, building for seminars, place do drop off the tickets). An "internal map" of the fairgrounds being used by Near-Fest would be very useful to us Newbies!

I got there around noon thirty Friday...picked up a couple of nice DPDT blade switches for my 450 ohm feed line and also picked up a couple of older 220 fm mobile units, both for $35, one Yaesu and one Icom. The Yaesu worked out of the gate, the Icom will probably work once I can get all the front display segments to work. I seem to always walk out of there with at least one thing not ham radio related...this time I picked up a couple of very nice stage guitar stands for $5 each. A guitarist can never have too many stands [smile]. I left around 4 pm. I met a guy that lives near me that has some Rohn 25 sections at a fair price. It will be nice to have a skyhook up about 40 feet next spring.

I was there Friday at opening and set up a table in the lower field to sell a bunch of stuff I inherited. The lower field was as full as I've ever seen it and there was a steady crowd all day. I packed up and left at 4 when the crowd thinned out. I returned on Saturday with a relative to browse and buy and the crowd was thinner than Friday but it was still steady.

First timer, I found it very confusing to find things (places open for food, building for seminars, place do drop off the tickets). An "internal map" of the fairgrounds being used by Near-Fest would be very useful to us Newbies!

Important Locations on the Fairgrounds -Where Is___________?

Deerfield_Fairgrounds_with_Legends.jpg

1. "The Relaxation Grove" is where the Command Center trailer and Closing Ceremony stage is located. The Prize Ticket drop barrel is located here on the stage throughout the two days.
  2. "The Entertainment Building" is where the technical symposia, meetings, forums and the Friday Night "Jam-Fest" are held.
  3. "The Commercial Buildings 1 and 2" are two buildings where the commercial vendors may be found.
  4. "Concession Building #2" is the third building where more commercial vendors and displays are located.
  5. Restrooms, Men and Women. Two locations. We'd have more but we have to pay plenty for the two we have. We comply with ADA regulations and have two Handicapped "porta-potties" as well, one at each building. Sorry, it's an old fairground and this is the best we can do.
  6. The original "AM Corral" from the Hosstraders days. Anyone can set up here now.
  7. "The Arts and Crafts Building" (upper level) "The Meeting Room" is in the lower level which is where the Volunteer exam session is held Saturday morning starting at 10:30. Please note: The entrance is around back of the building.

Deerfield Fairground Map (PDF)

I was there Friday at opening and set up a table in the lower field to sell a bunch of stuff I inherited. The lower field was as full as I've ever seen it ...

That's because it's the first time the NEAR-Fest entrance routed all the traffic through the lower field.

I returned on Saturday with a relative to browse and buy and the crowd was thinner than Friday but it was still steady.

I personally think it's partially because some very light rain swept through Mass. early on Saturday morning. Lots of people just can't be bothered to double-check the forecast if it's gloomy when they get up. Just like lots of people assume that if they can see their lawn, there must not be any snow on the ski mountains.

Thanks. Too bad I never saw that before the event. It would be nice if they had them available for those of us who are first-timers. I think that the organizers treat it as if everyone has been there before.

Thanks. Too bad I never saw that before the event. It would be nice if they had them available for those of us who are first-timers. I think that the organizers treat it as if everyone has been there before.

I agree with you re: poor signage...

I agree with you re: poor signage...

Beyond that, there were NO "red hats" to guide you until we walked up to the commercial buildings. We arrived ~9:05AM on Friday so we were some of the first non-vendors in the gate. Lots of folks guiding us in to park (outside fence) but once inside there was no visible "information area" or people stationed anywhere to ask directions. It took us forever to find the seminar building.

Back
Top Bottom