Oct 28 2017 Cast Bullet Seminar Sign Up Thread

Sorry I didn't post sooner my keyboard decide to die so. I know this will sound redundant, Mike, Shawn and Goose did a great job. I would like to thank all attended. It was great day and I hope you you all enjoyed it. It has stirred my casting addiction so this afternoon I will be out it the workshop making some bullets if all goes well.

Sorry I didn't post sooner my keyboard decide to die so. I know this will sound redundant, Mike, Shawn and Goose did a great job. I would like to thank all attended. It was great day and I hope you you all enjoyed it. It has stirred my casting addiction so this afternoon I will be out it the workshop making some bullets if all goes well.

I just finished up some work and I’ll be heading to my shop to do the same.
I’m thinking some 550 grain bullets

For the record, my smallest pistol castings are for 25 ACP and my largest pistol castings are for 500 S&W Mag.
My smallest rifle castings are .224 sized, and the largest are 50 BMG sized.
I own and use over 40 custom and standard bullet casting molds, many with interchangeable inserts. I make all my own gas checks. I currently consume almost 1,000 pounds of lead a year, for my own use. That is in addition to the jacketed swaged bullets I am also making. I'm guessing that almost 300 pounds of lead goes just into the CORES for the jacketed bullets. I make bullets from scratch for virtually everything that I shoot.

Removing the bullet/projectile cost from the reloading equation is the best way to save $$$. Hope that sets a goal for most of you.

Safe casting to all!

Thanks to Mike, Shawn and Goose

Awesome class - I had thought it would drag given the length of the schedule but learned that you guys packed a lot more into the time than anticipated.

Couldn't get to Shooting Supply to pick up ingot molds and a ladle so made due with a small hand shovel and a metal cracker bin.

Started with 16 lbs of lead scrap - ended up with 12 lbs for a 75% yield
Fluxed with old candle wax and pine chainsaw chips - the wood chips cleaned things up really well.

Didn't have an ingot molds so I just poured into the cover of the tin can I put the dross into.

Will update this post later when I can weight the lead and figure out the yield.
83bd76917eed53621afd25693f9a7117.jpg
eaf18283cb654d5cd6a31666a84fe2cf.jpg
b55c834349b51cca0b141031e72b9e0f.jpg
58f4ad49ed197ae05ae70eb7dd561f74.jpg
a7a155fd39bff826085e77fc9432a7ee.jpg
9e67ca4f7f800222205b28ccdeb33c07.jpg

Sent from my SM-G360T using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thanks to Mike, Shawn and Goose

Awesome class - I had thought it would drag given the length of the schedule but learned that you guys packed a lot more into the time than anticipated.

Couldn't get to Shooting Supply to pick up ingot molds and a ladle so made due with a small hand shovel and a metal cracker bin.

Started with 16 lbs of lead scrap
Fluxed with old candle wax and pine chainsaw chips - the wood chips cleaned things up really well.

Didn't have an ingot molds so I just poured into the cover of the tin can I put the dross into.

Will update this post later when I can weight the lead and figure out the yield.
83bd76917eed53621afd25693f9a7117.jpg
eaf18283cb654d5cd6a31666a84fe2cf.jpg
b55c834349b51cca0b141031e72b9e0f.jpg
58f4ad49ed197ae05ae70eb7dd561f74.jpg
a7a155fd39bff826085e77fc9432a7ee.jpg
9e67ca4f7f800222205b28ccdeb33c07.jpg

Sent from my SM-G360T using Tapatalk

Awesome man!

Thank you to Mike, Shawn and Goose.

My son and I had a great time yesterday, my goal was to learn as much as I could about smelting and casting, I would have been more than happy with just the class. However with the door prizes and the lead ingots we got to take home this was an outstanding day.

Thank you so much, we learnt a lot, a lot more than we thought we would, you clearly have been doing this for years and that knowledge is invaluable.

If anyone as a chance to attend this in the future, I highly recommend it, clearly these guys are doing this for the fun and thrill of teaching their hobby, the class was worth 3 times what we paid if not more.

Harry

Read my mind I casted up some big chuggers today ,I have to drag a trapdoor to the range its been too long.View attachment 210977

I enjoy the smmmaaaccckk of the large meplate on the target.
When I shoot my cast loads out of my milsurps at cmp matches I love the little pop of a report then the delayed ssmmacckk on the target.

Thank you to Mike, Shawn and Goose.

My son and I had a great time yesterday, my goal was to learn as much as I could about smelting and casting, I would have been more than happy with just the class. However with the door prizes and the lead ingots we got to take home this was an outstanding day.

Thank you so much, we learnt a lot, a lot more than we thought we would, you clearly have been doing this for years and that knowledge is invaluable.

If anyone as a chance to attend this in the future, I highly recommend it, clearly these guys are doing this for the fun and thrill of teaching their hobby, the class was worth 3 times what we paid if not more.

Harry

Harry and Son. Thank you both for attending. I’m glad you had a good time and hope you leaned a thing or two. Don’t be afraid to jump in with both feet. We are always here to answer questions and all of your mistakes and be melted and cast again.

Read my mind I casted up some big chuggers today ,I have to drag a trapdoor to the range its been too long.View attachment 210977

Now that’s what I’m talking about. Single shots this wednesday? I need to borrow that pointy mould!!

So true sometimes the paper slap is louder than the report.
I enjoy the smmmaaaccckk of the large meplate on the target.
When I shoot my cast loads out of my milsurps at cmp matches I love the little pop of a report then the delayed ssmmacckk on the target.

After helping out at the Northeast Shooters bullet casting seminar yesterday, it got me wanting to make some cast bullets today. I made some 8MM 175grn. for my Mausers and then I decide to make some Carcano food I am using a 6.5 Swede "Cruise Missile" mold cut down from 170grn to 150grn. again I am having problems with the mold getting hot at the middle right where the handles attach. So I just ordered 2 more and I am going to have one cut down to 150grn so I can switch them out to keep it a little cooler. They drop at about .269 which with Hi-Tech coating will be perfect for the Carcano.

1.jpg1a.jpg1b.jpg1c.jpg

After helping out at the Northeast Shooters bullet casting seminar yesterday, it got me wanting to make some cast bullets today. I made some 8MM 175grn. for my Mausers and then I decide to make some Carcano food I am using a 6.5 Swede "Cruise Missile" mold cut down from 170grn to 150grn. again I am having problems with the mold getting hot at the middle right where the handles attach. So I just ordered 2 more and I am going to have one cut down to 150grn so I can switch them out to keep it a little cooler. They drop at about .269 which with Hi-Tech coating will be perfect for the Carcano. ����

View attachment 211000View attachment 211001View attachment 211002View attachment 211003

Hey Bill this week is crazy but if you want to pick a night next week I will pull out some 6.5 and 8mm moulds and we can cast up a bunch so you can do some testing. I have alot of old ideal and lyman numbers that are no longer made.

Hey Bill this week is crazy but if you want to pick a night next week I will pull out some 6.5 and 8mm moulds and we can cast up a bunch so you can do some testing. I have alot of old ideal and lyman numbers that are no longer made.
That would be cool I have had to mess around and get mold worked so they can fit the rifles.

After helping out at the Northeast Shooters bullet casting seminar yesterday, it got me wanting to make some cast bullets today. I made some 8MM 175grn. for my Mausers and then I decide to make some Carcano food I am using a 6.5 Swede "Cruise Missile" mold cut down from 170grn to 150grn. again I am having problems with the mold getting hot at the middle right where the handles attach. So I just ordered 2 more and I am going to have one cut down to 150grn so I can switch them out to keep it a little cooler. They drop at about .269 which with Hi-Tech coating will be perfect for the Carcano. ����

View attachment 211000View attachment 211001View attachment 211002View attachment 211003

why cut down the carcano bullets. I figure heavy would do better in the carcano? If i get a carcano anytime soon i might have to tool up for reloading and casting for that also

As an attendee of this past Saturdays seminar. I thought it was great. I can not recommend it enough for those looking to start into the amazing world of casting lead boolits. Great learning experience with a good bunch of guys and great way to spend a day. Yes I got home and started shopping for molds and ordered 3 different colors of Hi-Tek. Thank you to Michael, 1919Fan, BillNed and Goose. To anybody considering this. Definitely sign up next time it's offered.

As an attendee of this past Saturdays seminar. I thought it was great. I can not recommend it enough for those looking to start into the amazing world of casting lead boolits. Great learning experience with a good bunch of guys and great way to spend a day. Yes I got home and started shopping for molds and ordered 3 different colors of Hi-Tek. Thank you to Michael, 1919Fan, BillNed and Goose. To anybody considering this. Definitely sign up next time it's offered.

Ahhh the addiction has taken hold.
Did you order the powder from high performance coatings? (Donnie?)

why cut down the carcano bullets. I figure heavy would do better in the carcano? If i get a carcano anytime soon i might have to tool up for reloading and casting for that also
The heavier bullets key hole I like the 150grn. With the type of grooves the Carcano has it is weird.

I was not able to make it to the last event. Is this a one time a year thing or do you guys do it a couple time a year? Wondering when the next one might be?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I had some time tonight to do some casting and hi-tek coating. I ran bullets thru all the molds until I got some good ones just to be sure the molds were going to work. Here's a few pics from tonight. Thanks again Shawn for the awesome lead hammer!
IMG_20171028_200524603.jpg
IMG_20171030_225631417.jpg
IMG_20171030_225824761.jpg
IMG_20171030_230630590.jpg
IMG_20171030_230653093.jpg

I had some time tonight to do some casting and hi-tek coating. I ran bullets thru all the molds until I got some good ones just to be sure the molds were going to work. Here's a few pics from tonight. Thanks again Shawn for the awesome lead hammer!
View attachment 211062
View attachment 211063
View attachment 211066
View attachment 211064
View attachment 211065

Those are some good looking projectiles looks like you didn't waste any time getting up and running.Thanks again for attending and if you ever need anything thing give me a call your doing a great job.

I got the Zombie Green a while ago and didn't like the color so I mixed some gold into it and it's OK. I added a little Black to that squeeze bottle of Black Cherry and it came out dark but I like it.

20171030_142604.jpg20171030_142615.jpg20171030_142920.jpg

While it would probably be fun to attend the casting seminar,Does it cover sizing?

I think we need a sizing seminar, ill provide the equipment. The class will do the sizing.

View attachment 211062
View attachment 211063
View attachment 211066
View attachment 211064
View attachment 211065

what shawn said! you nailed it

I got the Zombie Green a while ago and didn't like the color so I mixed some gold into it and it's OK. I added a little Black to that squeeze bottle of Black Cherry and it came out dark but I like it.
i like that

View attachment 211090View attachment 211091View attachment 211092

While it would probably be fun to attend the casting seminar,Does it cover sizing?

I think we need a sizing seminar, ill provide the equipment. The class will do the sizing.
Thats a good idea. I'm going to plan that for the spring when I'm done with all of my casting for the year.

Back
Top Bottom