• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Oct 28 2017 Cast Bullet Seminar Sign Up Thread

Updated the attendee list and paid list. PMs out to those interested but not paid. I can't wait to melt some lead!

my basic smelting set up: the muffin pan is for wheel weights the small pan with circles is for my stick on and know soft lead.

Looks like my pot developed a crack? I did a really long session last year smelting almost 400lbs in one session might be the contributing factor?
I use CLP on my cast iron when I put it up but it still gets rusty..the small pan I left out side few weeks ago and has the bright fresh rust.
Adj8A72.jpg

the burner/tank at 3/4 full and all the pans cost me just under $40 total. My biggest tip is stop at yard sales and ask about things you are looking for. Do not go looking to see what they put out.
I scored the burner and tank by asking if they had any small propane grills or colman stoves. Guy said yeah I have a turkey fryer im not going to need any more. He bought it for a large party to cook lobsters. his wife kept the pans though. I smelted almost 500 lbs with that one tank so it was closer to full

D3iyZRh.jpg

Hey guys. The locations has changed. I will PM everyone this week. It's only a couple miles from the original location I had listed.

Hey guys I have over 300 moulds in my mould library that will be available for tbe seminar on Saturday so if there is something special you would like to cast please shoot a pm .or post it in the thread so we have time to have set up and good to go for the seminar.
Thanks.

1919FAN - Do you have 500 s&w mould? I bought a new revolver and wouldn't mind casting a few bullets for it.

I'll be bringing my equipment. I picked up a box full of used casting equipment and can't wait to learn to properly use it. I also have a pile of lead that I smelted from wheel weights, unfortunately I think there is zinc in it. I'm hoping we'll be able to figure out if it's usable or junk.

I'm coming from Gardner, heading down Rt. 2 to 495. If anyone along that route wants a ride let me know and I'll pick you up. I could head thru Worcester too but not sure what the laws are in RI and I was planning on bringing a revolver to slug.

I have a burner/cast iron pot/ingot molds that came with my setup. Would it be helpful to bring it all along? I was planning on taking just the bullet making equipment but can easily bring it all.

Last edited:
I tkink I still have one if not there will be one my buddy casts for 500 S&W it wont be a problem to get my hand s on it.
1919FAN - Do you have 500 s&w mould? I bought a new revolver and wouldn't mind casting a few bullets for it.

I'll be bringing my equipment. I picked up a box full of used casting equipment and can't wait to learn to properly use it. I also have a pile of lead that I smelted from wheel weights, unfortunately I think there is zinc in it. I'm hoping we'll be able to figure out if it's usable or junk.

I'm coming from Gardner, heading down Rt. 2 to 495. If anyone along that route wants a ride let me know and I'll pick you up. I could head thru Worcester too but not sure what the laws are in RI and I was planning on bringing a revolver to slug.

I have a burner/cast iron pot/ingot molds that came with my setup. Would it be helpful to bring it all along? I was planning on taking just the bullet making equipment but can easily bring it all.

Hey guys I have over 300 moulds in my mould library that will be available for tbe seminar on Saturday so if there is something special you would like to cast please shoot a pm .or post it in the thread so we have time to have set up and good to go for the seminar.
Thanks.

Planning on casting for 357 mag, 45acp, 45 colt, 30.06, 762x54r, maybe 7.5x55 at some point.

the guns I REALLY want to cast for are my 1889 Schmidt Rubin (read the original projectiles were around .315in. of hard-cast alloy, covered with paper to make the total diameter about .321in.) and my 9x19 Nazi Hi-Power...but also very interested in coming up with cast projectiles for my Garands and all my antique .30 bolt guns (Mosins, Swiss, 1903 Springfield) eventually. I'm going to concentrate on the other two first though because I REALLY wanna shoot those guns finally!

Hey guys and Gals, I am with you in spirit today.

I have a local group of casting wanna-be's who are begging for me to run my Cast Boolit Workshop here in Florida. Here' we have to wait until it gets "COOL" enough to even want to cast. So, I am thinking January would be a great time of the year. To put things in perspective for those of you up North, I go kayaking regularly here in January. So, it is certainly pleasant enough to do a workshop outside all day.

So, I'll announce a formal date for the FLORIDA version. And, any of you intending on being in Florida for vacation are, of course, welcome.

Congrats on another successful workshop!

A huge thank you to Mike, Shawn and Bill for putting together another incredible casting seminar. Also a tip if the hat to Duke who got this whole thing started. I respect and admire all of you guys.

Goose thank you very much for helping out today and your demonstration was awesome and I think you forgot your poster just shoot me an adress and I tube one up for you thanks again

Hey guys and Gals, I am with you in spirit today.

I have a local group of casting wanna-be's who are begging for me to run my Cast Boolit Workshop here in Florida. Here' we have to wait until it gets "COOL" enough to even want to cast. So, I am thinking January would be a great time of the year. To put things in perspective for those of you up North, I go kayaking regularly here in January. So, it is certainly pleasant enough to do a workshop outside all day.

So, I'll announce a formal date for the FLORIDA version. And, any of you intending on being in Florida for vacation are, of course, welcome.

Congrats on another successful workshop!

Duke I wish you were here. We're trying to carry it on for you and infect I mean teach as many as we can. I've said it before I'll say it again. Thank you for the knowledge and time.

A huge thank you to Mike, Shawn and Bill for putting together another incredible casting seminar. Also a tip if the hat to Duke who got this whole thing started. I respect and admire all of you guys.
Goose don't be so humble you were a big part in this whole thing. Thank you again for coming along and sharing your knowledge and fine firearms.

Goose thank you very much for helping out today and your demonstration was awesome and I think you forgot your poster just shoot me an adress and I tube one up for you thanks again

Thank you again Shawn for the help and Thank you BillNed for the help, knowledge on alloys, hardness military cartridges and safety with the lead soaps.

Thank you to all that attended. I hope you all enjoyed yourselves and most important learned something. Now cast some bullets and show some pics. You'll never be the same

I'd also like to Thank Mac1911 for the lead donation it was huge help towards the cause,Thanks again.

I will have some for as long as the seminar runs. Maybe some year I will be able to go.
As long as someone is willing to pick it up I will donate. At work we have been doing a lot of larger truck tires which can come in with a lot of weight on them. So by spring we should have a few buckets.

Now someone post some pictures ! I need something to look at!

Thanks again to Mike, Shawn, Bill, and Goose. It was a great hands on learning experience. I went home and tried out the molds I have, all made nice bullets. I have to work today but I'll post some pictures tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom