Preparedness in event of nukes

One nuke in guam will make no difference. Think off all the nukes tha we and russia set off in the 50s and 60s. Its in the tropics too, so the trade winds will probably trap alot of the fallout down towards the equator for awhile.

[video=youtube_share;LLCF7vPanrY]http://youtu.be/LLCF7vPanrY[/video]

I'm not one of those "preppers" that has 2 years of rice and beans in the basement, but one has to think about "what if" an event did occur? A south pacific nuke attack would have nuke fallout released into the atmosphere and travel towards the northwest and then into the U.S. jet stream. I can see the U.S. crops being affected as well as livestock and so on.

So what would a must have checklist be for prepping? Obviously canned goods, water, etc. I do remember when Mt St. Helens blew her top. Here in the northeast we had fallout for several days. Not as bad as the plain states did, but it amazingly did reach New England. That event did affect grocery prices due to fallout.

What's on your checklist?
On the plus side? with all of this Armageddon talk?.. Millions of "hottie-40" and "nifty-at-fifty" broads are probably setting up Instagram and Tinder accounts as we speak.. planning a few bucket-list "quickies" before the mushroom clouds start settling in...(but, sadly, most likely with high school and/or college aged guys, since most of us are too old and out of shape to have a "quickie" with ourselves in the shower, never mind some wrinkly Demi Moore/Cameron Diaz wannabe).
[emoji6]

Last edited:
Having worked and been trained in both military and civilian nuclear power plants and the effects of radiation plus what can block it, my comments are skewed due to what I know.

The best thing to have in a nuke strike is those moist butt wipes,so you have a clean ass when you kiss it goodbye.

If the strike is near enough to pollute the air and earth in your area, I agree that this is indeed the best solution.

Hide out for a minimum of 2 weeks m. After that the fallout will have settled and the radiation levels will drop.

If you don't have food, water, seeds and land to grown on, life will still go on. Go buy a couple cases and canned food that you like and a few cases of Poland spring. Water is like $4 a case at Walmart.

Fallout will indeed settle on the earth. You can't see it or feel it but every time a wind blows, you create dust, eat something grown in the ground or something that ate something that grew in the ground, you will be ingesting radiation for a very long time to come. Having it eat up your insides before becoming visible is a very terrible way to go.

Eventually we run out of previous (to the event) canned goods/water and the radiation pollution will last for many years. WM won't be selling water for $4/case at that point, more likely $40/case if they have reason to gouge people and all vendors will do the same.

Actually, no worries if you live in MA...detonating a Nuke is clearly against the law here and comes with a hefty fine and possible jail time ;-)

[rofl] [rofl] Yes, our legistraitors do like to show off that they "did something"!

A nuclear event, unless it's close to you, isn't going to result in SHTF. You'll probably have to still go to work, so duct-taping your house probably isn't an option.

It might however, trigger the big recession/depression. So make sure your job is not precarious, make sure you minimize your debt, and have money saved up to weather a depression. Not as easy as buying iodine pills, but much more effective.

A nuclear event, unless it's close to you, isn't going to result in SHTF. You'll probably have to still go to work, so duct-taping your house probably isn't an option.

It might however, trigger the big recession/depression. So make sure your job is not precarious, make sure you minimize your debt, and have money saved up to weather a depression. Not as easy as buying iodine pills, but much more effective.

THIS...weather the social/economic consequences of the national psyche being completely transformed would be a greater concern.

If surviving something like that means living below ground and sucking down rice and beans for the foreseeable future.......

Well. It's been a good run but no thanks.

That sort of world ending scenario is not something I would care to be a part of. I'll prep for short term disaster and civil unrest, but nuclear winter-esk type scenarios......time to find out if God exists.

Totally agree.

I want to be here.
shock-top-bunker-party5.png

Not here:
forest.jpg

i have just become cognizant of seeing more of those emergency test messages on tv. anyone else or is this just my active imagination? once a month was the norm, i seem to be seeing them more often than that now. [thinking]

Literally thousands of nukes were detonated above ground everywhere during the Cold War. You can google fallout maps and see where the hot spots were and possibly still are. You can run but you can't hide from the fallout. Don't worry, be happy and have a good supply of #1,000 sunblock handy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://youtu.be/qwLCwJPHiN4

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

i have just become cognizant of seeing more of those emergency test messages on tv. anyone else or is this just my active imagination? once a month was the norm, i seem to be seeing them more often than that now. [thinking]

You're just noticing them more.

I see a lot more Jeeps, now that my kid has one.

They test the emergency broadcast thing so much, some day somthing going to happen and ill just ignore it

We have two weeks potassium iodide pills, water, three 72 hour meal kits, orange tang, and some canned food. Got some work to do....

I do plan on buying a Ludlum Model 3, flashlights, lighters, tp, and more food.

Don't forget survival cookies.

I lived 5 days on those while working from home. If you wonder why, because I wanted to see how it felt. And it was horrible, I was always hungry, but I was still having something like 2.5K calories/day. It is just that they are small and don't fill you.

Don't forget survival cookies.

I lived 5 days on those while working from home. If you wonder why, because I wanted to see how it felt. And it was horrible, I was always hungry, but I was still having something like 2.5K calories/day. It is just that they are small and don't fill you.

Alright, I'll bite (figuratively)... survival cookies? Are they anything like survival rations for life boats? I'm referring to this product:

https://www.amazon.com/Mainstay-Emergency-Food-Rations-Packs/dp/B000B43JI0

If so, wow were they awful. I had bought a pack long ago and tried it. Key points were:
1. The blocks were literally as hard as chalk, the kind you use on a board. So, biting into them was not an option as I would have literally broken off my teeth on them. So I tried slowly grinding away on the corner of one with my back teeth (as they are stronger than my front). In retrospect, I perhaps would have been better off smashing it to bits with a hammer then trying to eat the dust. And who doesn't want to chow down on a bowl full of chalk dust?
2. They tasted like chalk. Sure, if I was otherwise going to die, I would certainly put up with the taste. But still... it was chalk.
3. Then I figured out I'm allergic to them. I broke out in hives. I forget which ingredient in them could have done it, not entirely sure.

On the plus side? with all of this Armageddon talk?.. Millions of "hottie-40" and "nifty-at-fifty" broads are probably setting up Instagram and Tinder accounts as we speak.. planning a few bucket-list "quickies" before the mushroom clouds start settling in...(but, sadly, most likely with high school and/or college aged guys, since most of us are too old and out of shape to have a "quickie" with ourselves in the shower, never mind some wrinkly Demi Moore/Cameron Diaz wannabe).
[emoji6]

gee, at 57 am I on some 40 yr old pseudo-hottie's bucket list?

- - - Updated - - -

Alright, I'll bite (figuratively)... survival cookies? Are they anything like survival rations for life boats? I'm referring to this product:

https://www.amazon.com/Mainstay-Emergency-Food-Rations-Packs/dp/B000B43JI0

If so, wow were they awful. I had bought a pack long ago and tried it. Key points were:
1. The blocks were literally as hard as chalk, the kind you use on a board. So, biting into them was not an option as I would have literally broken off my teeth on them. So I tried slowly grinding away on the corner of one with my back teeth (as they are stronger than my front). In retrospect, I perhaps would have been better off smashing it to bits with a hammer then trying to eat the dust. And who doesn't want to chow down on a bowl full of chalk dust?
2. They tasted like chalk. Sure, if I was otherwise going to die, I would certainly put up with the taste. But still... it was chalk.
3. Then I figured out I'm allergic to them. I broke out in hives. I forget which ingredient in them could have done it, not entirely sure.

death might be a more enjoyable option!

I'm with Mike: Cigars and copious amounts of very good alcohol.

But just in case, I have 100 gallons of fresh water for the hangover. [smile]

Back
Top Bottom