• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1st build, help a brother out!

What's your end use...
I have not looked around lately but the RRA National Match trigger has been good for me for most applications. They are not very expensive and IMHO hard to beat for the money.

If your looking for budget build. Anything in stock and on sale is good
I have a hard time buying milspec parts from top name vendors as if they are only mil spec why pay more.

If you want a quality LPK (lower parts kit) at a decent price, look at Spikes. Triggers are decent, nicer quality pins, and overall good quality. Probably similar to some others, but you know you are getting something decent. CMMG, Palmetto, etc. are OK; but the Spikes was nicer for only a small difference in price.

Need a BCG (bolt carrier group)? Also I highly recommend the Spikes.

Something like that. But seriously, if you've never seriously used an AR before and it's the first build - you'll likely want to rebuild everything all over again after you know what you're doing. Today it's easy to get most of the parts for like $350-400.

Something like that. But seriously, if you've never seriously used an AR before and it's the first build - you'll likely want to rebuild everything all over again after you know what you're doing. Today it's easy to get most of the parts for like $350-400.

I do have an M&P 15 but want to get more into building from parts. I think that's the route I'm most likely taking (cheaper parts until I'm more knowledgeable on the subject).

I do have an M&P 15 but want to get more into building from parts. I think that's the route I'm most likely taking (cheaper parts until I'm more knowledgeable on the subject).

Don't go cheap for the sake of cheap.
Just don't pay for something that's just not going to give a return on your money.
Mil spec is mil spec. I don't care who it is. If they are building it to Mil Spec standard why pay more because spike or DD or any other manufacture made it. Unless a manufacture states why their mil spec parts are better don't pay more.
I don't know who makes the really cheap kits from PSA but the parts are awful.
Now I thought this was a decent deal from psa.
http://palmettostatearmory.com/palmetto-state-armory-lpk-g.html although have no idea what the kit parts are like. I do like this trigger though. I don't feel a difference between this trigger and RRA National Match. If you look around the RRA trigger and LPK can be found for under $140

Invest in a good trigger. It will cost you less in the long run.

Agree with most of what has been said here.

Get a LPK that does not have fire control group. If the Geissele is too much money, get a ALG ACT to save a little. Also get a grip you like since you will not get one with most LPK that are minus the fire control.

Oh, check out Anderson Mfg. great product, great prices.

they are fine also.... did 2 group buys on anderson lowers and LPK/A2 stock kits good deal and no BS did it when thier lowers could be had for 55$a shipped 5 or more with a 10% doscount on the lower parts ....worked out great 15 people with good lowers in the end.

I disagree - I did a ton of research before my first AR and ended up being very happy with it.

OP, talk to people, see what others use, look at what the big names use, think about the purpose of the gun, etc. Always leave room in your budget for the parts you'll want to replace right off the bat - for me it was sights and trigger.

You can buy Anderson everything, pay bottom dollar and still have a very decent AR-15. Nowadays it's difficult to find something truly awful.
The trigger that came with my Anderson LPK was pretty terrible.

I disagree - I did a ton of research before my first AR and ended up being very happy with it.

OP, talk to people, see what others use, look at what the big names use, think about the purpose of the gun, etc. Always leave room in your budget for the parts you'll want to replace right off the bat - for me it was sights and trigger.

The trigger that came with my Anderson LPK was pretty terrible.

15 kits and found the triggers to be everything to expect from mil spec. Some will say mil spec really suck no matter who makes them.
Don't worry though they can be made better for pennies and not much skill. The "15 min AR trigger job" does wonders for shitty triggers.
It's all fun.

Back
Top Bottom