• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CMP New England Games- Who's Going to Vermont?

Mountain

NES Member
Who's going? Where do you stay? On base? Anything fun to do in the evenings after? What do you plan to shoot?

I'm going for sure, but I don't know how many matches I'll shoot. JCG, Springfield, MM, and Unlimited Garand for sure. Probably Vintage. Maybe the EIC high power match, and slight chance of the 1911 as issued. Possibly the SAFS M16 match- I could have had 4 EIC points if I had scored 1 point higher.

For those of you who have not been there, Camp Ethan Allen is a gorgeous place to shoot.

http://thecmp.org/competitions/cmp-travel-games/new-england-games/

And you can see my fat @ss (on the stool in pic) in person.

Arrive Weds
Thursday - EIC w/ Service Rifle AR15
Friday - 2 Games Matches
Saturday - 2 Games Matches then head home

Games Matches rifles - Garand, 1903A3, 1917, AR15-A2

Staying on Base

Last edited:
So how does the sign up application work? Under the "Garand-Springfield-Vintage & Modern Military MatchPlease select ONE"...does that mean ONE match or one of EACH type? Is this similar course of fire to the Pembroke matches (except to include 10 shots sitting I presume) and at 200yds?

And what's with the designation for military? Does military get special pricing? Does this put me in some sort of special category if I check that?

I figure since I 100% won't be making ANY of the Pembroke matches for the rest of the year due to the drill dates completely overlapping match dates EVERY month, I might as well try to make it up north to play with the big boys...regardless of how 'not great' my scores are still. I just like the match environment...I have a few years ahead to actually work on skills :D I got all the basics in basic training, I just need to shoot enough with these heavy ass rifles to get used to the weight in offhand.

If I recall correctly...

1 GSM on Wednesday PM. I'll shoot Modern Military with my AR. I'll use the same lower for the EIC.
EIC across the course on Thursday. Going to try optics again, I think I have sorted out the issues.
2 GSM's on Friday
1 GSM on Saturday then adios.

I may shoot unlimited Garand instead of Vintage. Or maybe I shoot 5 GSM's?

Staying on base.

Slight possibility of doing SAFS on Wednesday to try for the introductory EIC points. Last year I missed the intro points by my score being short one point! 4th place out of 39 shooters, only top 10% get the EIC points.

Thanks- good idea.

Last year my come-ups were good, I just had trouble with the scope. Now where the hell did I leave my notes on the come-ups, LOL...

I just took chrony data on my loads last Saturday, so I can figure the come-ups close enough then maybe verify at Reading.

Slight pause in the action to load up for LR orientation at Granby this weekend. Enough 6.5 CM's loaded up so should be GTG for 1000 yards.

M14 trigger + spare should deliver tomorrow, so may have a chance to shoot the Bula. It's otherwise done. I think I have a conflict the day of Reading, so I plan to bring my service rifle to Granby and if possible have a go at the 300 and 600 yard plates.

I definitely need to reload both .223 and .30-06 for Vermont. Will shoot at least 4 GSM's, and at least 3 of them will be .30-06 (JCG, Springfield, Vintage). Depending on how quickly the electronic targets are running, I may shoot the .308 Garand in the unlimited class. Possible I'll shoot it in MM, but I don't think it will beat my skinny barrel AR.

Nice work! Very close to points!

So you were on the 6 high?

Were there a bunch of shooters already distinguished?

Thanks, I did quality for a Bronze Pin, which is cool.

The first shot at 600 was high but at 12 o'clock. My data book told me to come down ~3.5 minutes to get where I needed to be, but I figured 12+ clicks down was too much. Brought it down 4 clicks (1 minute) and expected to have to make a further adjustment or two. That brought me into the 10 ring. I may have been holding high on the first shot too. There was a bit of a mirage in play; I'm still learning the 600 yard stuff. Thank the heavens there was no wind today. The 600 yard load I made is 24.1 of varget under a nosler 80cc loaded .010 off the lands.

And yes there were a number of Distinguished shooters; usually seems to be the case there.

Edit, PS : The guy who shot the 483 Legged Out.

I was supposed to shoot that match this weekend[frown]
Don't think I will make the last 600 yard match either[angry]

Nice shooting = it's nice to find the 10 ring I think my best 600 yard prone was a 176? I,have not been back to 600 for service rifle since I got my correct lenses.
As far as adjustments it's weird how it works out.
I seldom use a full value correction more like half maybe 1/2 and one click..
I,don't know how to describe why that works...like a cone of dispersion... if you put a full value correction on it might have been a low in the 8-6 ring. I don't plot a lot of my matches very well I do use the data sheet though with unknown ammo.
What I'm bad at is keeping the data sheets. I,have a data book and maybe next year be a little more serious with the data collection.
We are lucky OCSA and Reading are pretty good on wind. When reading is wet and swampy the mirage can be pretty bad at 600.
I have not shot my NM service rifle in some time but I do have some 80s to try next time I hit 600

So I'm 'out' for the next Pembroke match due to overseas travel. Let's hope North Korea doesn't do anything stupid as I'll be pretty close. So that leaves me with some to-do's in order to prepare for Vermont.

-Mount the cart conversion to my stool. I can carry or drop off crap for the usual CMP match, but carrying to 300 and 600 yards in the EIC match gets your heart rate up a little. Need all the help I can muster.

-Test / sight in Creedmoor Lapua ammo in the JCG. Have not shot new Creedmoor .30-06 since Franco worked on my M1. If it shoots like my reloads, it will save me some time and I could use some more fresh brass.

-Reload 155 SMK's for the 1903 and 1917. Test / sight in for the 1903 and 1917.

-I'm going to test Sierra 110 HP's reduced load at 200 yards in the 1903. If as accurate at 200 as it is at 100, it's like shooting a 22LR.

-Reload .223 Nosler 77's for the MM and Berger 80.5's for the EIC. Sight in at 200. Maybe ding plates at 612 yards with the 80.5's.

-Basic clean and lube for all rifles. Check all screws that tend to come loose at the worst time. Already corrected loose 1903 front sight.

I think that should do it. Guess I'll need to get after it since I can't do anything while traveling.

Same- I have the Creedmoor stool so their cart was an easy decision.

I have an idea for the scope stand- it has to mount at the bottom in order to allow movement of the scope from prone to offhand.

What did you end up with for a Cart Conversion? Mine is the Creedmoor.

After using it this weekend, I can see it's value even for CMP Games 200 yard matches. It's nice to make only one trip from the car and have better organization at the line, too. I just need to hit the Home Depot and come up with a way to mount/lash my stand and scope on.

https://i.imgur.com/9p8ZABO.jpg

better roll that gear in the mud before you bring it out to a competition...everything looks too clean and new :D

DW's clean gear will fit in with the overly serious high-power crowd, so long as he mounts a weather station on top of the cart rack and wears one of those shooting hats with the drapes in back and on each side of the bill. Extra points for being an over-the-top-introvert and only 'speaking' to the guy he's been squadded with via small nods.

Yeah, I'll have new looking stuff too, but nobody's going to mistake me for a serious competitor. [wink]

3-1/2 hours for us, Dakar.

You could definitely shoot two matches on Saturday, but you could get more in if you were not so 'whipped' and gave away all those vacation days to fulfill your half of the cute couple. [smile] Make sure you at least show up on Saturday to throw some mud on our gear. If it comes back clean, Mrs. Mountain will think I spent too much time at the girly bars. I hear there are a lot of those in rural Vermont.

CMP be bringin' the electronic targets, so relays are going to be pretty quick. No pit duty for Games matches. I'm guessing the Thursday EIC has pit service. Even with electronic scoring the targets still need to be changed from SR to MR. I dunno- maybe they have a set up for electronic...

Nice. I don't mind stretching my legs but walking back and forth for EIC pit duty sucks up a lot of time.

If you guys want some I got some nice old school gear for yeah.
My old shooting mat is nice and dirty food,coffe and blood stained ( you guys have not had the privilege of one of my nose bleed events)
My old shooting coat graciously donated to me by a very retired HP shooter.....I think he had a dog.
I also can give up my vintage A1 stock for the AR that is missing pieces but still functions great!
NgzcJnS.jpg

The retired HP shooter with a dog: which end of the dog does the coat smell like? [smile] Cool old school coat...

Man I'm glad I have not had to deal with nosebleed issues in decades. Used to get them occasionally in the desert or mountains when I was in my teens. I had a MX jersey or two like that jacket of yours.

I have completely sold out and have gone to the pussified side. Picked up a scope for my MM AR. Still under 8.5 lbs even with the web sling attached.

Really stupid rules that forbid NM iron sights yet allow a 4.5X optic with 1/4 MOA clicks. Someone please explain to me how that makes any sense.

The retired HP shooter with a dog: which end of the dog does the coat smell like? [smile] Cool old school coat...

Man I'm glad I have not had to deal with nosebleed issues in decades. Used to get them occasionally in the desert or mountains when I was in my teens. I had a MX jersey or two like that jacket of yours

I have completely sold out and have gone to the pussified side. Picked up a scope for my MM AR. Still under 8.5 lbs even with the web sling attached.

Really stupid rules that forbid NM iron sights yet allow a 4.5X optic with 1/4 MOA clicks. Someone please explain to me how that makes any sense.

[wink] it really doesn't stink....its old as shit and actually starting to dry rot. To get a idea of how old this thing is... the last match he shot with this was the 1st year he seen ARs at the nationals... this jacket was officially retired in 1988 then sat until 2004 when he gave it to me. I used it for a few years then again in 2010 when I decided to try NRA service rifle.. then slowly up graded to the Creedmoor I use now.

Back
Top Bottom