• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sierra TMK's. WTH???

Mountain

NES Member
Stopped by Cabelas this evening to pick up a couple things. All set for .308 168's but wanted to pick up a box of SMK 155's. Apparently no longer carried but they do have TMK (tipped) for $45 a box of 100. Seriously? Do these things come with a free steak dinner? $15 rebate?

Why in the world would anyone spend $45 on a box of match projectiles?

Duh, cable,sierra/tipped a .5 BC .... "the best"?
Sierra to me has always been bit expensive for my skill and equipment. Although almost 3$ cheaper than direct and to my surprise midway has them for less.

Last edited:
They tout the TMK 168 as being able to reach 1,000 yards with a .308 Win at supersonic velocity, while the non-tipped will not. Maybe so- I think even the 155 Palma has a better BC than the standard SMK 168. The TMK 168 has a BC of .535 vs. .462 for the SMK 168.

None of this really matters much for my usual shooting at 100 to 200 yards. At 600 yards plus, it will matter. What I might do is order some Nosler RDF's for my upcoming long distance shooting.

RDF .308 175's have a BC of .536 (SMK .505 and TMK .545)

The RDF 6.5 140's have a BC of .658! (SMK .535, no TMK 140)

Once I get proficient with the 6.5 Creedmoor, I'd like to see how far out I can reach with the 1903 & irons. If I can see the target, I should be able to hit it. If...

They tout the TMK 168 as being able to reach 1,000 yards with a .308 Win at supersonic velocity, while the non-tipped will not. Maybe so- I think even the 155 Palma has a better BC than the standard SMK 168. The TMK 168 has a BC of .535 vs. .462 for the SMK 168.

None of this really matters much for my usual shooting at 100 to 200 yards. At 600 yards plus, it will matter. What I might do is order some Nosler RDF's for my upcoming long distance shooting.

RDF .308 175's have a BC of .536 (SMK .505 and TMK .545)

The RDF 6.5 140's have a BC of .658! (SMK .535, no TMK 140)

Once I get proficient with the 6.5 Creedmoor, I'd like to see how far out I can reach with the 1903 & irons. If I can see the target, I should be able to hit it. If...

Maybe someday I can be your guest at Granby .
I,will bring my 1903a4 clone with some 200grain cast loads and all the crony data they can muster.
Then plink away at 1000 yards!

Maybe someday I can be your guest at Granby .
I,will bring my 1903a4 clone with some 200grain cast loads and all the crony data they can muster.
Then plink away at 1000 yards!

Definitely! Looking forward to getting oriented there. I think they have a long range orientation tomorrow but I have not yet received my card plus stuff to do this weekend. I did pick up a Magnetospeed and will head out in a few minutes to collect data on some rifles / loads. I owe my wife a range trip too- might do that tomorrow.

Can you get BC's for your cast loads?

Definitely! Looking forward to getting oriented there. I think they have a long range orientation tomorrow but I have not yet received my card plus stuff to do this weekend. I did pick up a Magnetospeed and will head out in a few minutes to collect data on some rifles / loads. I owe my wife a range trip too- might do that tomorrow.

Can you get BC's for your cast loads?

? I'm,sure there is some calculation you can do? Never gave it much thought.

Stopped by Cabelas this evening to pick up a couple things. All set for .308 168's but wanted to pick up a box of SMK 155's. Apparently no longer carried but they do have TMK (tipped) for $45 a box of 100. Seriously? Do these things come with a free steak dinner? $15 rebate?

Why in the world would anyone spend $45 on a box of match projectiles?

I guess you wouldn't be interested in Warner Flatlines. https://warner-tool.com/collections...-155-5gr-palma-projectile?variant=28845251137

If I were into long range precision or perhaps benchrest- maybe. But for 200 yard Garand as issued or out of an 85 year old 1903 Springfield? No way Jose! At least the Warners are a custom option from a precision vendor. I just have a problem with Sierra's retailers charging $15 more per box of TMK's vs. SMK's. My guess is they will go on sale, eventually.

Without BC, is there another way to estimate drop at extreme ranges?

I don't know how to figure out BC when it's not known. Along with all the factors. At what velocity does BC change. It must change as velocity in/decreases? I can only use the manufactured supplied info.

... But for 200 yard Garand as issued or out of an 85 year old 1903 Springfield?

Don't waste your time on the TMK Sierras. I shoot long range F class, so I order Bergers in lots of 1000 to 2000. Yes, I drop well over $1000 on bullets every yr, probably closer to $2000 than I'd admit.

With the exception of the Sierra 183 in .284 SIE don't make a single bullet in any class that can run BC's side by side with Berger and since they went to the TMK they are about equal in $$.

For the kind of loading you are talking about doing in a 308 class bullet I'd be loading the Sierra Game King 165 SPBT. I used to shoot them in a heavy barreled 308 that I mostly used for hunting before I built a 7-08. From a factory barrel, loaded over Varget in LC brass I had from shooting up some 147gr M80 ball, they'd shoot 3/4 MOA or better at 200 yards every time and they shot to almost the exact same zeros as the 168SMK loaded to the same velocity.

Give them a try.

Edit: another bullet that I have had good luck shooting that is/was a cost effective alternative to Bergers for me when I was shooting club matches in Oak Ridge was the 178 Horandy BTHP, but I'm not sure Hornady still makes that bullet. They used to run about $32 a box if I recall.

As for bullets for long range shooting. In F class competition I don't know of anyone who is not shooting Bergers. It's interesting that no other bullet company out there has stepped up to the plate to compete with them in the long range game. The only exception that I know of are a few Open guns that run the 183SMK (pointed not non-tipped) and in the PRS game some of the 6mm guys are running the 108SMK (again, pointed not tipped).

2nd edit: one other comment on Sierras. The 2156 Palma bullet is a great bullet, and when Applied Ballistics tested the 155TMK the BC came in at almost exactly the same as the BC for the [2156]

Last edited:
Are those solid copper? Do they have a cannelure?
I,think if I was shooting a gun in the Palma match price range I would look into bullets like these.
Most of my rifles cost less than the sights!!

Flatlines are solid copper. They are long, very long for weight class, and require high twist rate barrels. In 30 cal the 185 needs about a 1:9, and ideally the 198 needs a little faster than a 1:8 to get the full value of the BC, though I'm told a 1:8 will shoot them well.

Don't waste your time on the TMK Sierras. I shoot long range F class, so I order Bergers in lots of 1000 to 2000. Yes, I drop well over $1000 on bullets every yr, probably closer to $2000 than I'd admit.

With the exception of the Sierra 183 in .284 SIE don't make a single bullet in any class that can run BC's side by side with Berger and since they went to the TMK they are about equal in $$.

For the kind of loading you are talking about doing in a 308 class bullet I'd be loading the Sierra Game King 165 SPBT. I used to shoot them in a heavy barreled 308 that I mostly used for hunting before I built a 7-08. From a factory barrel, loaded over Varget in LC brass I had from shooting up some 147gr M80 ball, they'd shoot 3/4 MOA or better at 200 yards every time and they shot to almost the exact same zeros as the 168SMK loaded to the same velocity.

Give them a try.

Edit: another bullet that I have had good luck shooting that is/was a cost effective alternative to Bergers for me when I was shooting club matches in Oak Ridge was the 178 Horandy BTHP, but I'm not sure Hornady still makes that bullet. They used to run about $32 a box if I recall.

As for bullets for long range shooting. In F class competition I don't know of anyone who is not shooting Bergers. It's interesting that no other bullet company out there has stepped up to the plate to compete with them in the long range game. The only exception that I know of are a few Open guns that run the 183SMK (pointed not non-tipped) and in the PRS game some of the 6mm guys are running the 108SMK (again, pointed not tipped).

2nd edit: one other comment on Sierras. The 2156 Palma bullet is a great bullet, and when Applied Ballistics tested the 155TMK the BC came in at almost exactly the same as the BC for the [2156]

I was having trouble finding the 2156 Palmas in stock and recently found the 155 TMK's on sale for a similar price as the Palmas and will give them a try. Probably Camp Perry timing was a factor. Kinda wish I had glass on one of my rifles that shoots .308 projectiles to do a comparison and see what the TMK's will do.

Here's one of my best groups with my 1903 Springfield National Match:

1 NM SR-1 Target group size.jpg

168 SMK's over Varget. 'Flyer' probably my bad but still OK for iron sights at 100 yards. I don't think anyone is shooting Bergers or even ELD's of other brands in these old milsurps. I have some Berger 80's in .223 but was getting better results from 77 Nosler CC's in a Krieger barreled AR, 7.7 twist.

Back
Top Bottom