• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New York State Senate Democrats push childproof gun mandate

DispositionMatrix

NES Member
http://www.guns.com/2017/05/24/ny-lawmakers-push-bill-requiring-child-proof-triggers-on-guns/
The bill, S.3444, would make it illegal to sell or transfer handguns one year after its passage unless the firearm was designed to where a five-year-old could not pull the trigger. Supporters think the move is needed to prevent accidental shootings.

“There is no reason that a young child five years old should be able to have access to a weapon that he or she could fire,” said the bill’s sponsor, Sen. José M. Serrano, at a press conference earlier this month. “So we need to make sure that all weapons sold in the state of New York are not fireable by children this young.”

Serrano’s legislation would require that all new handguns sold in the state be childproofed. Suggestions in the bill’s language on how to accomplish the mandate include adjusting the trigger pull to at least a 10-pound draw, changing the mechanism to where a child’s hands are too small to operate the handgun, or requiring a series of multiple motions to fire the pistol or revolver.
https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/bills/2017/S3444
This bill would prohibit the sale of pistols or revolvers by any person, firm or corporation in the retail business of selling guns which does not contain child proofing features built into the design of the gun.

So I just looked up Everytown accidental shooting statistics for NY State. Since 2015 there has been exactly ONE child under 5 who was accidentally shot - Nobody killed, just shot in the arm.

Any 5 year old? My son was the same height and strength of an average 8 year old when he was 5. Will they use someone like my son to decide what is good enough?
NY also does not want people with arthritis to own guns either.
My wife can handle a typical trigger pull but not a 10 pound. 10 pound trigger also causes a loss in accuracy for many shooters.

Not multiple motions, not a series of motions, but a series of multiple motions. These people are super smart.

Back
Top Bottom