Selling a pistol to a RI Resident (I'm in Ma)?

chris_1001

NES Member
I have a friend in RI that wants to buy a pistol of mine. He has a receiving dealer that said all I need to do is bring it to them and they will do the FFL transfer to him and give me a receipt.

I'm wondering if this is all good. I don't want to break any laws, Fed, RI, MA.

I know in a lot of instances I have heard was to have my FFL ship to their FLL.

And is it legal to transport a pistol into RI for the purpose of a sale?

Just want to cover my @$$.

Thx

And is it legal to transport a pistol into RI for the purpose of a sale?
Thx
Good job trying to make sure. Do your own reading as much as possible, but it's so convoluted with MA, RI and Fed laws, asking is good.
I'm not certain about your other questions, but I'm pretty sure the answer here is "no". Below is from the NRA's guide to travelling with firearms. Since you can't legally poses the handgun in RI, you can't go to a destination within the state. You could pass through the state, but not terminate your trip within the state.

Under FOPA, notwithstanding any state or local law, a person is entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he or she may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he or she may lawfully possess and carry it...

Fed and MA law is OK with this.

FOPA is irrelevant in this case.

You need to read RI laws on WHERE a person can transport a handgun into RI without a RI license! Not my area of expertise, so I won't be giving you any advice other than to go to handgunlaw.us and follow the link to the RI law for this subject.

11-47-9 you can transport to a FFL for the purpose of sales.

Just don't stop anywhere else on the way
Good post.

Wow. The list of exceptions goes on forever. But it seems RI will allow you to bring it to the FFL.

....or to a federal firearms licensee for the purpose of sale,....but only if said pistol or revolver is unloaded and any ammunition for said pistol or revolver is not readily or directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such vehicle while transporting same and further provided, that in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm or the ammunition shall be stored in a locked container.

OK, that's good to read/learn.

The dealer did not make me feel better with the short "its OK" replies.

Thanks!

11-47-9 you can transport to a FFL for the purpose of sales.

Just don't stop anywhere else on the way

This. Good answer with the relevant cite of the statute.

§ 11-47-9 Persons exempt from restrictions.

(a) The provisions of § 11-47-8 shall not apply to ...

any person while transporting a pistol, or revolvers, unloaded from the place of purchase to their residence; or place of business, from their residence to their place of business or from their place of business to their residence, or to a federal firearms licensee for the purpose of sale, to or from a bona fide gunsmith, or firearms repair facility, to any police station or other location designated as a site of a bona fide "gun buy-back" program, but only if said pistol or revolver is unloaded and any ammunition for said pistol or revolver is not readily or directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such vehicle while transporting same and further provided, that in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm or the ammunition shall be stored in a locked container.

Massachusetts isn't the only state where illiterate attorneys have written laws so impossible to clearly implement they are just ignored. (WWTBTTC)Wouldn't want to be the test case.

The difference is that in RI, the legislature is a part time "volunteer" job with a rather meager stipend. here in MA, it's a freakin overpaid career. I expect a lot more from a bunch of attorneys making 150K/yr than a bunch of regular citizens making $15K/yr.

Granted.. looking at the RI laws, they're a freaking mess... and sheesh.. is there a reason why lawmakers cannot use bulleted lists rather than these extreme unending continuance of phrases linked by "ors" and "ands", etc.

Bumping this since it mentions "borrowing". So, for a father to lend a gun to his son would require a transfer through an FFL?

Bumping this since it mentions "borrowing". So, for a father to lend a gun to his son would require a transfer through an FFL?

No, this is a myth. If one isn’t exempt from the waiting period, they can print out a background check form directly from 11-47-35 or 11-47-35.2 and send it to the PD where the transfer is.

Next, they will call you and say it wasn’t necessary for you to do this as “private sales are unregulated then just laugh, hang up, and on day 7, transfer the firearm.

But, yes, RI law would require a background check for “borrowing”. No one enforces it though.

Much like the fact that nobody seems to enforce the "transport" business either. I've never heard of someone getting in trouble in RI for simply having an unloaded gun stowed in their car without a "reason" for it
being there.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom