• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

hypothetical loophole around Healey?

Here's a hypothetical situation: Let's say you wanted to form 1 a SBR AR15 in MA, but don't have the lower. What if you were to purchase one out of state, register THAT serial number on your form 1, wait the 11 months for your approval, THEN transfer the lower at a MA FFL. Will the ATF federal approval beat this Healey nonsense? I think it would, presuming filings after 7/20/16 are getting approved. What do you think???

You must be the owner to submit a Form 1. By federal law, with limited exceptions, you cannot buy an AR lower outside your state of residence.

Last edited:
I think the more stringent rules always win, unless they are unconstitutional. You could probably make the same argument for a silencer..I mean, suppressor.

You must be the owner to submit a Form 1. By federal law, with limited exceptions, you cannot buy an AR lower outside your state of residence.

I'm not sure how I managed to buy a novelty "offensive weapons" lower from out of state, have it shipped to my local FFL, who then performed the transfer if that's the case. It's the transfer within the state that I'm hypothesizing about - whether federal approval trumps healey. I own it after paying for it, it just isn't in my possession,

I think the more stringent rules always win, unless they are unconstitutional. You could probably make the same argument for a silencer..I mean, suppressor.

The ATF won't approve a form 1 for a suppressor in MA, that's the difference.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how I managed to buy a novelty "offensive weapons" lower from out of state, have it shipped to my local FFL, who then performed the transfer if that's the case. It's the transfer within the state that I'm hypothesizing about - whether federal approval trumps healey. I own it after paying for it, it just isn't in my possession,

Yeah, I misinterpreted what you said.

Have there been ANY Forms 1 approved that were submitted post-7/20? Last I've seen, the ATF is around mid July with Form 1 and Form 4 approvals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Have there been ANY Forms 1 approved that were submitted post-7/20? Last I've seen, the ATF is around mid July with Form 1 and Form 4 approvals.

That's the key to the whole thing, I suppose. My 7/6/16 was approved, but that's before the magic date.

Here's a hypothetical situation: Let's say you wanted to form 1 a SBR AR15 in MA, but don't have the lower. What if you were to purchase one out of state, register THAT serial number on your form 1, wait the 11 months for your approval, THEN transfer the lower at a MA FFL. Will the ATF federal approval beat this Healey nonsense? I think it would, presuming filings after 7/20/16 are getting approved. What do you think???

Nobody is going through that BS, they're just going to.ignore it outright and get what they want. Anyone who knows how to get a stamp also knows how to get around this stupid edict, lol.

Thats way over complicating things.
You just either buy a factory SBR.
OR
have a dealer make you an SBR and Form 4 it to you.

Either of these are hardly a "loophole", but believe me this will be reinterpreted at some point the same way this Healy ban took place.
Her entire "a receiver is an AW" has no basis in reality or MA law for that matter.

A loophole would be buying an 80% lower, engraving it, file form1, receive approval, finnish the lower, then efa-10 it and see what happens.(you could probibly switch the order of the engraving and the form1. Noone but you would ever know)

This really isn't a loophole either since at no point do you have a none sbr "AW"
what i wonder is what happen when you put a 16" upper on you sbr lower....does it then become a duplicate or copy? Its just more pants shitting like the "magizine police" busting you at a range.

Last edited:
Engraving typically occurs after the stamp is approved, FWIW.

Transferring an SBR would be a form 4 and also well within the letter, spirit, and interpretation of the law.

The ATF is still around 7/7-7/9 so you won't find out what they think of Maura for another couple months, maybe September.

Back
Top Bottom