• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Coast guard auxiliary.

Step 1. Grow body hair. Step 2. Join the Marines.

But seriously I've got nothing. Assuming you mean the Coast Guard Reserve it would be to call a recruiter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Step 1. Grow body hair. Step 2. Join the Marines.

But seriously I've got nothing. Assuming you mean the Coast Guard Reserve it would be to call a recruiter.

step 3. still get shit on because you're a POG...lol

seriously though...I don't know the process, but i'm pretty interested as well. i'll be raising my right hand again 5 months from now to stay in the USMCR through my Individual Ready Reserve contract (hard to believe I've been in for 6 years already), but will be looking into another service probably at the end of my 8 years due to the fact that I'll probably be relocating around the same time. Coast Guard is high on my list because if I stay as close to the coast as I'd like to with my next move, I shouldn't have a problem finding an auxiliary unit close by here in New England/Upper East Coast.

long story long, i'm following this thread. if you change your mind and want to go Marine Reserves, I'm happy to talk to you about anything you'd like to know. My home training center is right next to a Coastie base in New Haven so you get to directly witness how good you COULD have had it if you joined the Coast Guard...their chow hall is amazing.

step 3. still get shit on because you're a POG...lol

seriously though...I don't know the process, but i'm pretty interested as well. i'll be raising my right hand again 5 months from now to stay in the USMCR through my Individual Ready Reserve contract (hard to believe I've been in for 6 years already), but will be looking into another service probably at the end of my 8 years due to the fact that I'll probably be relocating around the same time. Coast Guard is high on my list because if I stay as close to the coast as I'd like to with my next move, I shouldn't have a problem finding an auxiliary unit close by here in New England/Upper East Coast.

long story long, i'm following this thread. if you change your mind and want to go Marine Reserves, I'm happy to talk to you about anything you'd like to know. My home training center is right next to a Coastie base in New Haven so you get to directly witness how good you COULD have had it if you joined the Coast Guard...their chow hall is amazing.

Keep in mind the Coast Guard Auxiliary is the unpaid civilian arm of the Coast Guard, although reimbursement of fuel costs while on patrol may be available. If you enjoy your time on the water, whether a boat owner or crew, and want a chance to help people, this is for you.

It is not the Coast Guard Reserve.

1. Good for you OP
2. The CG AUX has a great mission and have been a continuous asset to the CG for decades.
3. Just don't be "that" auxilarist. You'll figure it out.
4. PM me your email, it just so happens one of the head swinging dicks for one of the MA flotilla's works in my building and is a hell of a guy.

The Auxilarists that I have been privileged to work with while on active duty as well as a reservist have been certified OODs, Watchstanders, they have volunteered their boats and time to do SAR patrols for us, they have been great assets during the St. Peter's Fest in Gloucester, and have been certified regular SAR crew as well.

There was nothing better than having Mr. Weatherbee come in on Friday nights at Gloucester and stand radio watch for us. That guy was a friggen hoot. the pranks he could come up with were epic.......

Keep in mind the Coast Guard Auxiliary is the unpaid civilian arm of the Coast Guard, although reimbursement of fuel costs while on patrol may be available. If you enjoy your time on the water, whether a boat owner or crew, and want a chance to help people, this is for you.

It is not the Coast Guard Reserve.

ahhhhhh...noted.

as i was.

I'm doing out of the fact I can be out there to help. I'm young enough to join the military, but I love my job way to much. So, this is by far the best option I see.

Theres always the reserves ;)

But it sounds like a good time, and like coastie ron has some good info.

Dakar, you dont have to sign anything or take any oath to drill non ob, and keep in mind your IRR time started when you swore in at MEPS. Also keep in mind that if you dont extend your IRR time and fall off contract but want to go back in, you gotta do the whole MEPS shenanigans again. I just spent all morning there today

I've recently become curious about joining the coast guard auxiliary. Does anyone know how the process goes?

Thank you!

So lately the background check part has been very discouraging to a lot of Aux applicants.No excuse for the delays and how long it has been taking. Please don't let that discourage you - not your fault. Do what you can to get Basic Qualified and look for ways to support whatever Active Duty unit you are aligned with. Hate to admit it, but a lot of active duty guys are dumbasses and don't realize how much the Aux can really do for them - and more importantly, how much the Aux WANTS to do for them. Watchstanders, Boat Crew, Lifeboatmen, Cooks, unofficial financial advisors...there are endless ways the Aux CAN support the AD side if the AD side is willing. There are a few Aux guys that are virtually Canonized on the Cape. When one of them I knew well passed, guys from all over the country flew in for the services. He was like a surrogate grandfather to everyone - there are no possible metrics to describe what he did for that unit. The most hard-assed, tried and tested, emotionally dead Lifeboatmen I've ever known cried on each others shoulders at that memorial service. MOTS: The Aux is as much a part of active duty side as they want to be.

So lately the background check part has been very discouraging to a lot of Aux applicants.No excuse for the delays and how long it has been taking. Please don't let that discourage you - not your fault. Do what you can to get Basic Qualified and look for ways to support whatever Active Duty unit you are aligned with. Hate to admit it, but a lot of active duty guys are dumbasses and don't realize how much the Aux can really do for them - and more importantly, how much the Aux WANTS to do for them. Watchstanders, Boat Crew, Lifeboatmen, Cooks, unofficial financial advisors...there are endless ways the Aux CAN support the AD side if the AD side is willing. There are a few Aux guys that are virtually Canonized on the Cape. When one of them I knew well passed, guys from all over the country flew in for the services. He was like a surrogate grandfather to everyone - there are no possible metrics to describe what he did for that unit. The most hard-assed, tried and tested, emotionally dead Lifeboatmen I've ever known cried on each others shoulders at that memorial service. MOTS: The Aux is as much a part of active duty side as they want to be.
Great advice here. Also, if you already HAVE a clearance, it can be transferred from JPAS (DoD) to Checkmate (I think the CG still uses that one) via RRU/reciprocity.

Back
Top Bottom