2017 Steel Challenge at Harvard Sportsmens Club

Yes there will be Steel Challenge at Harvard this year, the dates are,

May 20th. (Stages will be Pendulum, Outer Limits, Show Down, Accelerator, Smoke & Hope & Five to Go)
June 17th. (Stages will be Accelerator, Speed Option, Show Down, Round About & Smoke & Hope)
July 15th. (TBD, but probably like May)
Sept. 16th. (Stages will be Accelerator, Speed Option, Show Down, Round About, Smoke & Hope & Pendulum)

!! UPDATE !! UPDATE !!
OCTOBER 21st. MATCH WILL BE ALL 8 STEEL CHALLENGE STAGES

COME ON OUT AND SEE WHAT IT TAKES TO SHOOT A WHOLE MATCH
AND COMPARE YOUR TIMES WITH SHOOTERS FROM AROUND THE COUNTRY,
HECK !! THE WORLD !!

(Hope that's enough hype [smile])
MORE INFO TO FOLLOW

Still working on the particulars but the big change is that we will only be running one gun for the day,
but to make up for taking away the 2nd gun we are going to add another stage !!
So 6 stages total (except for June, we have a range use conflict so we'll only be shooting 5 stages then)

Keeping the price the same at $15 and I can't remember what we did for juniors but I'll get that info.

Registration starts at 8:30, when you show up you'll head over to the side of the trailer and under
the overhang the lovely Betsy Grecoe and her hubby Dan will be happy to take your name, division info
and your money ! You'll also be directed to fill out out a liability form and pick a squad before you go
see Mike at the front of trailer for the computer stuff. Don't forget your USPSA number if you have one.

We ask that all folks have enough mags or speed loaders to shoot 5 strings, if you show up with only one
mag we might have a problem, if you show up with 2 or 3 mags then we can deal with that, just know that
we will expect you to get some more mags if you get hooked by the steel shooting bug.

All firearms must be bagged or holstered and there is no handling of firearms unless under the direct supervision
of a Range Officer or at one of the many "Safe Table" located around the shooting bays.
Absolutely NO AMMO at the safe tables

Here's the link to the Steel Challenge web site http://steelchallenge.com/ you can check out more info there
or if you have any questions you don't want to ask here you can email me at [email protected]

As always we are looking for help in the form of RO's and nook operators, if you'd like to help let the folks know
when your signing up and we'll take care of you.

And don't forget, we expect EVERYONE to help paint the targets and pick up brass, if you can't do that then think
about bringing a daughter/son-niece/nephew-grand daughter/grand son or even some kid from the neighborhood !!
(but check with their parents first)

I most likely have forgotten something so I will be back to update the above when needed, I'll try and keep
folks posted through this thread about any updates or changes.

That's it for now, hope to see you at the match !
Dave Parker

Yes !! PCC is allowed for Steel Challenge, all you PCC'rs and Rimfire Rifle folks don't forget your chamber flags
and carry cases please !

Last edited:
I've never done a steel challenge but they sound pretty cool.
Are there different divisions?
I register day of, not in advance, correct?

Yes JVC there are many divisions, so many I'm not even sure what they all are but I will by match day.

And yes, sign up is the day of the match, maybe someday we'll have pre-reg and cc payments
and all that stuff but not this year I don't think.

I've never done a steel challenge but they sound pretty cool.
Are there different divisions?
I register day of, not in advance, correct?

There are divisions for almost anything you might want to shoot. If you list some guns that you might want to shoot, we can tell you where they fit.

If you have a 22LR pistol with a red dot, that's what I'd use for your first match. 22s start from low ready, so you don't have to worry about belt and holster and such.

Yes JVC there are many divisions, so many I'm not even sure what they all are but I will by match day.

And yes, sign up is the day of the match, maybe someday we'll have pre-reg and cc payments
and all that stuff but not this year I don't think.

Will Harvard Steel Challenge allow PCCs?

Will Harvard Steel Challenge allow PCCs?
Yes! We got permission from the board last year to shoot PCC in the pistol pits. I shot my uzi a few times.

There are divisions for almost anything you might want to shoot. If you list some guns that you might want to shoot, we can tell you where they fit.

If you have a 22LR pistol with a red dot, that's what I'd use for your first match. 22s start from low ready, so you don't have to worry about belt and holster and such.

As Jeff stated we have divisions for just about everything except centerfire rifle and shotgun. As Dave P. stated above 5 or more mags is great, >= 3 mags is a minimum. If you don't have enough mags post in the match thread before the match. Most people are happy to lend stuff out. I've got plenty of 9mm M&P full size and compact mags, glock 40 mags, and 9mm 1911 mags, Ruger MkIII regular and MkIII 22/45 mags.

List of divisions Practiscore and Steel Challenge Support
  • PCCI: Pistol Caliber Carbine Iron Sights
  • PCCO: Pistol Caliber Carbine Optics
  • ISR: Iron Sight Revolver
  • OSR: Optic Sight Revolver
  • LTD: Limited
  • SS: Single Stack
  • Prod: Production
  • CO: Carry Optics
  • OPN: Centerfire Open
  • RFPI: Rimfire Pistol Iron Sights
  • RFPO: Rimfire Pistol Optic Sights
  • RFRI: Rimfire Rifle Iron Sights
  • RFRO: Rimfire Rifle Optic Sights

It's basically the USPSA divisions with PCC broken out into optics and irons along with rimfire pistol and rifle broken into optic and irons.

It's basically the USPSA divisions with PCC broken out into optics and irons along with rimfire pistol and rifle broken into optic and irons.
Cool. Will there be a second gun run after the morning match is done, like last year?

Thanks Mike for answering the questions, I couldn't remember from last year and was checking.

No 2nd gun this year, added another stage to make up for it.

And dang that's a lot of divisions !!

[*]PCCI: Pistol Caliber Carbine Iron Sights
[*]PCCO: Pistol Caliber Carbine Optics
[*]ISR: Iron Sight Revolver
[*]OSR: Optic Sight Revolver
[*]LTD: Limited
[*]SS: Single Stack
[*]Prod: Production
[*]CO: Carry Optics
[*]OPN: Centerfire Open
[*]RFPI: Rimfire Pistol Iron Sights
[*]RFPO: Rimfire Pistol Optic Sights
[*]RFRI: Rimfire Rifle Iron Sights
[*]RFRO: Rimfire Rifle Optic Sights

I thought I remembered someone mentioning rimfire revolvers having their own divisions. Is this not true? Was it ever true or am I nuts?

Not that I recall. Rimfire pistol is the same whether it is semi-auto or revolver, iron or optic sights.

Are you thinking of IDPA? They have a separate division for revolvers.

There are so many divisions now it's hard to keep track and I believe the Nationals (not to be confused with the "Worlds")
had a Revolver Master prize.
I'll go thru the rule book and see if they have something for "revolver rimfire iron sight/optic" but even if they do it will probably
only be you, me and maybe 1 or 2 others competing against each other [smile]
If your a rimfire revo shooter just bask in the glory of beating some of those litter-bug guns [laugh2]

Not that I recall. Rimfire pistol is the same whether it is semi-auto or revolver, iron or optic sights.

Are you thinking of IDPA? They have a separate division for revolvers.

You're probably right, I'm likely just blending together different disciplines in my head.

There are so many divisions now it's hard to keep track and I believe the Nationals (not to be confused with the "Worlds")
had a Revolver Master prize.
I'll go thru the rule book and see if they have something for "revolver rimfire iron sight/optic" but even if they do it will probably
only be you, me and maybe 1 or 2 others competing against each other [smile]
If your a rimfire revo shooter just bask in the glory of beating some of those litter-bug guns [laugh2]

I'd never really considered myself much of a revolver guy, but I got a GP100 in 22lr and I'm absolutely loving it and find that I can actually shoot it halfway decent. I'm definitely more comfortable with an automatic, so I might start there, but by the end of the season I may have to give the revolver a spin (Ha!).

I'd never really considered myself much of a revolver guy, but I got a GP100 in 22lr and I'm absolutely loving it and find that I can actually shoot it halfway decent. I'm definitely more comfortable with an automatic, so I might start there, but by the end of the season I may have to give the revolver a spin (Ha!).

Shoot the revo !! You'll never go back [smile]

I thought I remembered someone mentioning rimfire revolvers having their own divisions. Is this not true? Was it ever true or am I nuts?

Ok, the rules are being worked on but I found some preliminary rule stuff and these are the divisions
we'll be recognizing this year, I'll clean this up for the sign up sheets but here's a cut & paste from the
preliminary rules:

A2 Rimfire Pistol: Open to any pistol firing .22 Long Rifle ammunition (see “ammunition” rule 4.1.2).
There are two equipment divisions:
A2.1 Rimfire Open: This is the Rimfire race division. All legal Rimfire firearms are allowed. Optics and
Compensators are specifically allowed.
A2.1.2 Rimfire Iron Sights: Any Iron-sighted Rimfire pistols without a compensator, barrel ports or optic
sights. Fiber-optic sight inserts are specifically allowed.
A3 Rimfire Rifle: Open to any rifle shooting .22 Long Rifle ammunition. There are two equipment
divisions:
A3.1 Rimfire Rifle Open: This is the Rimfire rifle race division. All legal Rimfire rifles are allowed. Optics
and Compensators are specifically allowed.
A3.2 Rimfire Rifle Iron Sights: Any Iron-sighted Rimfire rifle without a compensator, barrel ports or optic
sights. Fiber-optic sight inserts are specifically allowed.
A4 Pistol Caliber Carbine: Open to carbines shooting pistol caliber cartridges (9mm/.40 S&W/ .357 Sig /
.45 ACP). There are two equipment divisions:
A4.1 Pistol Caliber Carbine Open: This is the Pistol Caliber Carbine race division. All legal Pistol Caliber
Carbines, to include short barreled rifles, are allowed. Optics and Compensators are specifically allowed.
A4.2 Pistol Caliber Carbine Iron Sights: Any iron-sighted rifle without compensator, barrel ports or optic
sights. Fiber-optic inserts are specifically allowed.
A3 CenterFire Pistol: Any pistol firing (9mm/.38 Special) or larger ammunition (see “ammunition” rule
4.1.1). This event has multiple equipment divisions as follows.
Draft Version 1.1, 23 November 2016 – All previous versions are Obsolete
Page 20 of 42
A3.1 Open: This is the race division! All legal firearms are allowed. Optics, Compensators, and any safe
holster/position are specifically allowed.
A3.2 Limited: Any iron-sighted pistol without a compensator, barrel ports, or optical sight. Fiber optic
inserts are specifically allowed.
A3.3 Production: Any double action or safe action pistol on the USPSA Production gun list. Holsters must
follow USPSA Handgun Rules for the Production Division.
A3.5 Single Stack: 1911 models only. Holsters must follow USPSA Handgun Rules for the Single Stack
Division.
A3.6 Revolver: Any revolver can be used for competition. Fiber optic inserts are specifically allowed. No
barrel length or holster restrictions. No restrictions for maximum rounds.
A3.6.1 Optic Sight Revolver: A revolver equipped with Electronic / Optical Sights.
A 3.6.2 Iron Sight Revolver: A revolver equipped with iron sights. Fiber optic inserts are specifically
allowed.

There is also the NSSF Rimfire Challenge formerly the Ruger Challenge. You shoot a Rimfire rifle at a certain distance and then a Rimfire handgun from a closer distance.

Annnd if I had a brain I would have remembered Mike already answered this [rolleyes]

Somebody remind me a day or two before the match so I remember to show up !! [smile]

Great - got the OK from my doctor and SWMBO to do Steel Challenge (after open compound fracture of the left big toe last September). Don't need to run much (if I ever could!) . . . . . [rofl]

No USPSA yet, though - not a good thing to be running around with a loaded gun and no feeling in a big toe, eh? [crying]

I'll be able to RO and help out on the 20th! [smile]

Be there, aloha!
"Point Blank" Frank
:cool:

Great - got the OK from my doctor and SWMBO to do Steel Challenge (after open compound fracture of the left big toe last September). Don't need to run much (if I ever could!) . . . . . [rofl]

No USPSA yet, though - not a good thing to be running around with a loaded gun and no feeling in a big toe, eh? [crying]

I'll be able to RO and help out on the 20th! [smile]

Be there, aloha!
"Point Blank" Frank
:cool:
Glad to see u can make it !

Back
Top Bottom