• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

7.7 jap from 30-06 , getting ready for a match

mac1911

NES Member
this year the Arisaka type 99 made it back to the front of the safe in the rotation of my milsurps. This year one of my 99s will be used in a CMP Vintage rifle match. So I need to find a rifle and load that can at least hold the black of a 200 yard SR target... which has a 13" black bull.
My first reloading efforts for the 7.7 where reformed cases from HXP 30-06 cases. I happen to luck out and have a good amount of HXP 77 to reform into 7,7 jap.
Its not hard and I use Lee dies for the process. mainly because the lee dies are inexpensive and do what they are supposed to do. I ran Hornady .312"150 grain soft points and 174 grain .3105" match. Both did ok but for the cost of these bullets I moved onto cast... now just as I started getting into development of my cast 7.7 loads the great shortage started....now im getting back to it. more to come.

Now of course you can just buy factory brass but that's not always cost effective unless you find PPU on sale. Which I have done and stocked up but I still like to reload ammo as frugal as possible. Sizing some surplus cases I have large amounts of is something that sits well with my wallet.

Resizing 30-06 HXP is easy you just lube the case and run it through a 7.7 full length dies and trim to proper case length.
Few things I found out early.
Case necks would split about 80% of the time on first load shot through the 99. I found annealing the 30-06 neck and shoulder before reforming helped and I get approx 5 loads with out any case neck splits. I also only neck size after the case is formed and fired in the rifle.
Next I found if you cut approx half of the 30-06 case neck off you get close to the final trim size after forming.

OXHdk51l.jpg

Above
Left is a factory PPU load I was able to pick up a few boxes of PPU 7.7 for 16$ box before the prices went up
Middle is a reload with PPU brass and a hornady .312" 150gn soft point.
Right is a cast reload with 30-06 formed brass 200 grain lyman 314299 bullet these drop right at .315" and I size them to .314" I will be sticking with the cast loads from this point on.
The factory PPU round has a pretty good crimp. I did not crimp my jacketed reloads and will only be applying a light crimp to my cast loads.

My cast loads will be a test between 2400 and H4895 overall length is set just shy of the longest I can run in the magazine and feed well enough to shoot a match with. Even still the throat/lead on all my 99s is very generous and would need a fatter longer bullet to even begin to touch the lands. I need to shoot from the mag so this doesn't matter anyhow.

V1tDa7ul.jpg

Here is the HXP before forming
Left once fired HXP 30-06
center is after a first step forming. I would form the case with out the expander in the 7.7 die thinking it would be easier. I found it not to matter and only adds a step in the process.
Right is all formed and trimmed to length

GeWtMYdl.jpg

I use HXP with a date stamp of 77 which helps me ID my brass when sorting. between the shorter fat neck and the 77 stamp Its easy to pick up if it gets into the 06 bucket.

My starting loads will be "the load" of 16 grains of 2400 this load does very well and will be as accurate as you can shoot out to 200 yards. Well so far this has been true for my other rifles I hope it will be for one of my Type 99s. Second will be H4985 with around 28-30 grains. This was my better load for one of my 99s so far before powder ran dry.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?13425-Cast-Bullet-Loads-for-Military-Rifles-Article

MuGg4X0l.jpg

my finished round. I might play with seating it a bit deeper but then the gas check is into the case as it sits the gas check is right at the end if the neck.

now to load up some test rounds and see which rifle shoots the best, I have 3 to choose from.

First rifle up for testing is my most recent purchase. The bore is pretty rough and I hope it shoot ok. I still need to bore scope my other 2 99s to compare.https://www.northeastshooters.com/v...ome-cheap-bore-scope-fun-mosin-and-M1-type-99

As for preparing the rifles. I will take down every rifle into a detail strip as long as the screws and pins will come out with out much effort. The stocks will get a quick warm dish soapy cleaning then when dry I will put a coat of 100% tung oil on it.
I will "clean" any loose dirt and rust from the metal parts and basically just use rags and some Kroil to remove surface rust. Then I just apply CLP generously. let it stand over night and give it a wipe to remove eccess.
I have a torgue screwdriver. I have learned over the past 8 years or so Im over tightening most fasteners on guns.

On the arisaka I will slowly tighten the action screws and watch what the receiver and barrel do. So far all my rifles sit nice and flat in the stock. oncle I get to finger snug I will torgue the front screw to 35" lbs all while watching to see if the action tilts at al. if the action doesn't move I will snug up the rear action screw to 35inlbs. The rest of the screws like rear trigger plate, sling loops, barrel bands get snugged up to 10inlbs. Check the screws after your first range trip the action screws will settle a bit. Fr the other screws like the sight screws and bolt release lever I go about 20inlbs.

Last edited:
Have you found that after reforming a case and trimming it to the proper length that it becomes too short after the first firing? I made some 7.63 Argentine Mauser cases out of 30-06 cases and had to leave them long until they were fireformed.

no have not had that problem. The only thing I can think of to why is the die sizes the brass close to minimum specs. When fired in a generous military chamber the case expands pushing the shoulder out and forward drawing the neck downward?

Now that I have the hornady "headspace" guage I can compare my before and after of each rifle after fire forming. After my first reload I only neck size and yet have needed to trim. My loads are on the soft side as I find full loads way over kill and unpleasant in the arisaka. My loads are running around 1600-1900 tops.

Last edited:
the rifles i have to work with

iVK54bu.jpg

bores are in varied condition... Im not so sure on my details on the type 99s but they are appear to be 1940s production in Kokura ?

1 has mum and if there are any numbers they match. other is scrubbed with matching bolt and most parts match. last one appears to be a mixed bag of parts with at least 3 different numbers.
The bores in no particular order

be interesting to see which one shoots best

Last edited by a moderator:
1st TEST

So I am going to give the newest 99 in my collection a try first.
I have 12 rounds loaded 16 grains 2400 and 200 grain cast bullet gas checked and sized to 214" lubed with white label 2500. this will be my load to try in all 3 rifles.
I also will post some after videos of the bore to see how much lead they might pick up. If the rain holds out I will do it Wednesday

OoGL7nK.jpg

first batch ready to go

So with this new batch of formed 30-06 I decided to use my hornady case comparator. Hornady does not list 7.7 jap on the chart with my kit. So I went with the C 375 bushing.
only info I could find on case headspace was Lee 2nd addition manual listed at max of 1.936"

The Factor PPU ammo I have comes in at 1.922" So iset my die to go long on the reform....fist shot came in at 1.948" that would not chamber with out some extra help. So I adjusted the die until the bolt close with out much effort... the cases now read 1.932"
the only chamber drawings I found list chamber headspace as 1.936" max and a min of 1.929"

I for the life of mr cant fimd the last 25 rounds shot through another rilfe to see what the fired case dimensions are.

Last edited:
1st Rifle tested

finally got out to the range with the first Arisaka up for testing.
This is the top rifle in the picture in previous postings its also the one with the rough bore.
Tested at 50 yards as its easy to see the holes in the target and you just never know where they are going to be first time out with some of these rifles.
TEST AMMO: Reformed 30-06 cases, 200 grain cast bullet , 16 grains of 2400 powder. light crimp.

with the sight in the down position or battle sight it hit very low with these cast loads.
about 12' low from point of aim. I then flipped up the sight and moved it to the 400m mark
went about 6" high. went down to the bottom setting and it was about 6" low... i put it on 300 meter setting and in the black 1st shot was a 10 low.. I proceeded to take my last 8 shots and all but 1 hit the black.
oyR31FEl.jpg

I am happy with the results out of the gate. For a 75 year old battle axe that i dont think was cleaned or shot since picked up from the south pacific It did well. When I get home I will bore scope it and see how much the rough bore picked up for lead.
like to thank Uncle Paul and his family for the opportunity to have this jem

I love your project threads!

It's great to see old war horses run again, especially with cast projectiles! I'm curious to see how the H4895 loads fare for you!

Thanks....don't get to shoot much these days so I do these kinda of things.
I have 2 more arisaka to test with 2400, which by the way seems to be on of the most accurate for reduced loads for me.

That will be interesting to see one shoot. My grandfather brought back an Arisaka, sporterized it, and proceeded to take his limit of deer with it for decades. It was given to my Dad eventually, and now my Brother has it. I think I only saw that thing shoot once or twice because it gradually developed a headspace issue.

That will be interesting to see one shoot. My grandfather brought back an Arisaka, sporterized it, and proceeded to take his limit of deer with it for decades. It was given to my Dad eventually, and now my Brother has it. I think I only saw that thing shoot once or twice because it gradually developed a headspace issue.

I dont have guages and can only go by my hornady "headspace" guage. I sized the cases until the bolt closed with not much effort.... came to 1.932" with the gauge and after shooting the cases measured 1.934"

There's a "universal load" of 14 grs of Red Dot for 30'06 size cases with most cast bullet weights suggested in an article by Ed Harris that you might try if you've a mind to try it.

#1 rifle first test...... well pretty much would be good enough for general issue
vE0VJ1Ml.jpg
I tossed out the hmmmhmm Flyer[laugh]

to get the shot group to center I would need to drift the front sight to the right .009" I would loose a few Xs but that 9 just might become a 10.

Last edited:
Rifle #2 up next
Just need to clean the barrel of copper fouling.
This one is a tad nicer. matching numbers with mum. trigger pull is 7lb 4oz and a little smoother than #1
loading up some cartridges today...hope for a mid week run.

Next Up Rifle #258
Today 12:00 noon 38'F Rain wind 15mph. Pretty standard for my testing days. I go when I can.
Rear sight flipped up and set to "3" point of aim was 6 O'clock 12 shots. I think most of the stringing was me and trying to see that pointy little sight and hold it in the same place. Windage is a bit easier you just center the black bull in the rear sight aperture. This rifle shoots a tad to the left. This rifle the front sight is already a bit to the left as it is again I will leave well enough alone and just favor the right side when I shoot.
pictures tonight

1IOwiuNl.jpg

toss away the 2 worst shots
OJ9oNz6l.jpg

If you try to judge the chamber condition by measuring the case this rifle has a snug chamber.
1.932 before shooting shoulder measured 1.933ish after.

Last edited:
Last up will be #150
Kokura series 20 I believe
trigger pull is a solid 7.5#s breaks pretty clean
Best bore of the 3 except one spot at 1:50 right hand side. Its been there since I have owned it. it wont go away. It does not appear to be getting worse. Im tempted to put some sort of rust converter on it to make it stop. no matter how much I oil it it seems to get that little film of red....

all clean and ready for testing

Case stretch

So these cases went through the sized a bit stiffer than the last.
I measured the widest point around the case head web area and then measured after sizing. It's .005" smaller.
Also measured all cases before and after resizing and case length stretched .006" average.

Last up will be #150
Kokura series 20 I believe
trigger pull is a solid 7.5#s breaks pretty clean
Best bore of the 3 except one spot at 1:50 right hand side. Its been there since I have owned it. it wont go away. It does not appear to be getting worse. Im tempted to put some sort of rust converter on it to make it stop. no matter how much I oil it it seems to get that little film of red....

all clean and ready for testing

Last rifle in the series of testing: It did well and I think it would be a lot better if I could see the tip of the triangle sight better.... I would like to find a standard blade front sight for this rifle. Nice fat one like on my AR service rifle or 1903a3 .100" THICK so i caan see it!
happy and think this one will be run in the vintage match. I think I can tighten the groups up with practice. the trigger does help much either for target work...its no terrible better than say a mosin or some of the lesser mauser actions.... just heavy.

same loads as the last 2 rifles
ASaKGrj.jpg

toss out the flyers

toss out the flyers [wink]

doing better..... now to play some powder charges... next up I will push them a little with H4895.

bx7DLgRh.jpg

Last edited:
I was very surprised how well any of them shot.
My 3 are far from nice condition. Goes to show you even a crusty rusty bore has potential.
I will be focusing on #150 and get it ready for a CMP vintage match. Will be fun... I don't expect high scores but 3moa ish should stay in the black.

Small update..
I have found that pre cutting the 30-06 case necks .250" shorter before forming gets you very close to the max case over all length for final trimming. I run my cases at 2.270" max oal. I find the cases tend not to stretch as much doing so. I also have my die set so it hardly resizes the case. It will resize the necks and only slightly push the shoulder back.

I basically eye ball it now and just use a dremel with a thin metal cutting blade works well enough

Re the appropriate point to anneal. After "working" the brass to the new desired dimension, the brass has been work hardened. The more the brass is worked, the greater need to combat the hardening and resuting neck splits....AFTER the resizing. I always annealed after I have formed the brass to the new desired shape. I read here you annealed before resizing the brass. What is the correct method?

Re the appropriate point to anneal. After "working" the brass to the new desired dimension, the brass has been work hardened. The more the brass is worked, the greater need to combat the hardening and resuting neck splits....AFTER the resizing. I always annealed after I have formed the brass to the new desired shape. I read here you annealed before resizing the brass. What is the correct method?

I don't know if its "correct" I use the method my dad and his friend used. Cheap propane tourch spin case neck and shoulder area in the tip of the flame until the brass just turns color or should say discolors ? and drop into water. Im not hitting it until the brass glows from the heat just a discolor to the brass. Again "correct" or not it seems to work for me. I can really feel the difference forming the 30-06 brass if I don't anneal it.
If I form with out annealing I will get 2 loads after before case neck cracks. If I anneal before forming I have 5-6 reloadings(not a split yet both cast and jacketed loads) before I get the "tight" feeling going through the die and I have noticed a different "ring tone" when trimming and it takes a little more pressure for the trimmer to blade to cut in. I have noticed this after a few years of trimming. At first I though my blade was dull... so its time to anneal again.

I was taught by my dads friends that you want to heat just below the point where the brass would glow orange at most. He showed me in the dark what he ment. but just watching for that color change seems to be good.

OdNi4Bw.jpg

Last edited:
Regarding the water quench: Some debate on that one. Depending on the annealing method, if using a lot of heat it could be a way to prevent the rest of the case from annealing. Other than that, it won't do anything to the metal- heat treatment of brass doesn't work that way. Steel? Yes- rapid quench in water causes hardening, slower quench in oil provides some hardening, and air quench tends to preserve annealing of steel.

If you are not at risk of annealing the rest of the case without the quench, you could save yourself the trouble of drying. Won't change the quality of your neck annealing.

Regarding the water quench: Some debate on that one. Depending on the annealing method, if using a lot of heat it could be a way to prevent the rest of the case from annealing. Other than that, it won't do anything to the metal- heat treatment of brass doesn't work that way. Steel? Yes- rapid quench in water causes hardening, slower quench in oil provides some hardening, and air quench tends to preserve annealing of steel.

If you are not at risk of annealing the rest of the case without the quench, you could save yourself the trouble of drying. Won't change the quality of your neck annealing.

I was given no reason other than to cool them down. doesn't take much to dry the brass anyway, small batches. If I was to do more than im doing now I might just buy one of the annealing set ups out there already. Same guy along with my uncle also showed me how to make knives from old rusty files. Anneal , harden , temper.... wish I kept track of those knives. Miss having a work shop available to me also

ive got a 99 i bought at a yard sale $35 the bolt was stuck open i bought it then bought a safety online works great just cant afford to shoot it at $50 for twenty roounds

Back
Top Bottom