• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Any tips for the civil exam?

Point of curiosity.

Is the Civil Service Exam valid nationally?

Suppose you REALLY wanted to be LE in say, Lowell but can't make it in for some reason.

Could you move to the middle of Montana, take the exam, work on a local force there for a year or two and THEN begin applying (but now with experience) to forces in the Peoples Republic?

Or would you have to start over with the MA version of the exam, get a permanent tan, kiss up to Ms. Warren, etc...?

Point of curiosity.

Is the Civil Service Exam valid nationally?

Suppose you REALLY wanted to be LE in say, Lowell but can't make it in for some reason.

Could you move to the middle of Montana, take the exam, work on a local force there for a year or two and THEN begin applying (but now with experience) to forces in the Peoples Republic?

Or would you have to start over with the MA version of the exam, get a permanent tan, kiss up to Ms. Warren, etc...?

No it's only for MA.

If I were a young guy in my early 20's and wanted to be a cop, I would apply for NYPD or LAPD. Other big cities as well.

They make it pretty convenient and you can bang out the whole process on a weekend for the price of a plane ticket. NYPD is pretty easy to get on last I heard.

Get hired, work a couple years and get your feet wet. You may live it and want to stay or move on to something else. I know a guy that worked NYPD, got onto the bomb squad and then transferred to the ATF bomb squad to finish out his career.

There are countless opportunities out there if you are willing to move out of this shithole state

There are countless opportunities out there if you are willing to move out of this shithole state

For me it was curiosity. I drive a computer pulled by a team of oxendevs.

As I approach retirement I'm building a small business, heavily regulated by that killjoy agency you mentioned, to keep me occupied and out of the house [devil]

No it's only for MA.

If I were a young guy in my early 20's and wanted to be a cop, I would apply for NYPD or LAPD. Other big cities as well.

They make it pretty convenient and you can bang out the whole process on a weekend for the price of a plane ticket. NYPD is pretty easy to get on last I heard.

Get hired, work a couple years and get your feet wet. You may live it and want to stay or move on to something else. I know a guy that worked NYPD, got onto the bomb squad and then transferred to the ATF bomb squad to finish out his career.

A good friend of mine is NYPD. He's been on for several years and is a sergeant now, loves his job. Big department so lots of room for advancement, the pay is much better now than what it used to be but still lower than surrounding agencies. According to my buddy the job is what you make of it, but can be political, they have those God-awful 12 pound modified triggers.

Civil Service exam in Mass is only for Mass jobs, but not all towns/dept's are civil service jobs. Being on a civil service PD makes it a lot harder to be hired/fired for most minor offenses, whereas if you're working in a town that is non-civil service, the Chief can hire and fire at his discretion and the needs/financing of the town.

Last edited:
Civil Service exam in Mass is only for Mass jobs, but not all towns/dept's are civil service jobs. Being on a civil service PD makes it a lot harder to be hired/fired for most minor offenses, whereas if you're working in a town that is non-civil service, the Chief can hire and fire at his discretion and the needs/financing of the town.

i've been wondering the differences between the two. great information, thank you!

Yes in non civil service towns, you can skip the line if you are a good candidate or have connections in town. I don't think any of the towns around me are civil service.

I'm not sure how you find out if non civil service towns are hiring. If they post the jobs in the paper or whatever. Still if I had a choice, I would prefer to work in a civil service town. I believe it's easier to transfer to another civil service town if you choose to

Cam, our town has been in and out of CS over the years I've lived here. The union contract has some similar protections for officers in lieu of CS when we were out of CS.

Also, two reasons we left CS 30+ yrs ago were:
- One of our Special/Reserve Officers was an excellent candidate but too old per CS, so we dropped CS and he was hired (a good hire I might add) and did his 20 here.
- One of the top 3 CS candidates tried to kill his wife by hitting her with his car in their yard. BTW, according to my chief back then, another CS town hired him.

Years later we went back to CS:
- One of the top 3 CS candidates was a Special/Reserve Officer, but a real problem child. The chief at the time (not the same as above) was livid, passed him over (a good move). I had worked with this guy and belonged to a police org that he single-handedly destroyed as president of same. Not a person you could trust to do the correct thing at any time.

Understood Len, good information.

Isn't that always the case though. Can't make this shit up brother.

MSP eligibility list was published (a month late, thanks) within the past few days...i'm in the low 700's and almost broke the top 10 percentile (HAH!) Now THAT's a LONG list!!!

I'm still in the top 6 percentile for City of Worcester after all the recent residency eligibility adjustments, so i'll keep my fingers crossed there but not getting my hopes up without any veterans preference points.

MSP eligibility list was published (a month late, thanks) within the past few days...i'm in the low 700's and almost broke the top 10 percentile (HAH!) Now THAT's a LONG list!!!

I'm still in the top 6 percentile for City of Worcester after all the recent residency eligibility adjustments, so i'll keep my fingers crossed there but not getting my hopes up without any veterans preference points.

If you get hired somewhere, I have a few speeding tickets I need fixed!

(jk, for some reason the fuzz usually leave me alone)

in your case they're probably afraid to peel off the first layer of the onion...once open it's like pandoras box and that's just a boatload of paperwork and press releases from there on. :D

If you get hired somewhere, I have a few speeding tickets I need fixed!

(jk, for some reason the fuzz usually leave me alone)

Good luck man. 16 years of war have created quite a few vets looking for jobs.

Good luck man. 16 years of war have created quite a few vets looking for jobs.

Yep...6 years in the reserves...most of the BS and none of the benefits! Sign up today...don’t delay!

- - - Updated - - -

Last academy graduated. let's see if the recruitment will start.

I heard that...did I hear correctly that only 13 officers graduated for Worcester? There was a lot of noise in the background when the news came on the radio.

Back
Top Bottom