• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Any tips for the civil exam?

I took it years ago. Was strait forward. A 96 was good, but not good enough.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Got a 98. #2 on the list. Before they put the 5 veterans in front. Helps to be a veteran! All the vets in this test scored in the 90's. I thought it was easy. Some guys scored in the 70's. I honestly have a hard time figuring that one out

Got a 98. #2 on the list. Before they put the 5 veterans in front. Helps to be a veteran! All the vets in this test scored in the 90's. I thought it was easy. Some guys scored in the 70's. I honestly have a hard time figuring that one out

You know what they call those guys?

officer [rofl]

jk fellas, don't shoot

I took the test in 13 or 14. Got a 99. I didn't hear anything. I'm not a veteran as well. Got a different career and three years later got an invitation letter from the MSP for the next troop. Passed it up though. My best advice is to think very analytically, use process of elimination. Tests are mostly common sense and attention to detail.

Last edited:
LOL I wish I had entered that I was a transgendered lesbian with a Spanish surname and my mothers father was Kunta Kinta I might be retired with a pension by now.

Or dead and probably divorced. With all the cameras the job is not what it used to be. The genie is out of the bottle. Pretty soon the police departments will be timing how long you are at calls and how long it takes you to take a dump. It's not about law enforcement anymore it's about avoiding litigation. Same thing happened in the prisons with the prison rape prevention act that placed cameras all over the place. More often than not video is used against the corrections officers

Or dead and probably divorced. With all the cameras the job is not what it used to be. The genie is out of the bottle. Pretty soon the police departments will be timing how long you are at calls and how long it takes you to take a dump. It's not about law enforcement anymore it's about avoiding litigation. Same thing happened in the prisons with the prison rape prevention act that placed cameras all over the place. More often than not video is used against the corrections officers

Agreed. Also if you use "officer's discretion" to not string up someone on something minor and there is a video, it could be career-ending. Not the job I'd want to do in today's world.

I took the test today. Endless amount of people showed up. The line to get in was longer than 1/2 mile.
Some interesting characters there for sure. I think I did well, but who knows.
Results really come out in 90 days? It an automated scoring system. Results could be instant lol.
Like mentioned before, no military experience, no criminal justice education, not a minority, and a bad driving record. I don't have high hopes but it will be interesting to see how things play out.
It is something I want to try for sure. Let's see if it happens.

I never said I actually wanted the job, all I wanted was a level playing field where the man ,woman or whatever with the best score got the position . Not because I was purple or my name began with or ended with a vowel. The best person who is the best qualified, should be #1 on the list then the second best and so on and so forth......the same day I took the MSP my x-wife took the Federal Pace Exam, passing it barely and was offered and accepted a job with U.S. Customs. That isn't a level playing field.

I never said I actually wanted the job, all I wanted was a level playing field where the man ,woman or whatever with the best score got the position . Not because I was purple or my name began with or ended with a vowel. The best person who is the best qualified, should be #1 on the list then the second best and so on and so forth......the same day I took the MSP my x-wife took the Federal Pace Exam, passing it barely and was offered and accepted a job with U.S. Customs. That isn't a level playing field.

Strategies.
1. Deploy and become a veteran
2. Take hormones and become a chick
3. Check off the Native American box. Some tribes like Cherokee don't have a blood requirement
4. Tell them you self identify as something other than white
5. Realize the deck is staked against you and go to nursing school. Work in the trauma room.

I took the test today. Endless amount of people showed up. The line to get in was longer than 1/2 mile.
Results really come out in 90 days? It an automated scoring system. Results could be instant lol.
Like mentioned before, no military experience, no criminal justice education, not a minority, and a bad driving record. I don't have high hopes but it will be interesting to see how things play out.

The last 2 test results didn't come out until November, 90 days is just not gunna happen. Leave it to the state to be that slow on a scantron test.

Edit: i have been on this forum almost 4 years, leave it to this test to make me post somthing for the first time [laugh2]

Last edited:

That line though! Was that test at Sullivan for the whole state or just central MA?

And don't feel bad, I've been in the Marine Corps Reserves for almost 6 years and don't qualify for veterans points. None of my deployments have been more than 180 consecutive days...Nor is the one that's up and coming. Better hope I got a perfect score I guess!

LOL I wish I had entered that I was a transgendered lesbian with a Spanish surname and my mothers father was Kunta Kinta I might be retired with a pension by now.

Far better that you have relatives on the Job whose ancestors hailed from one of the major islands of the British Isles whose capital is not London, or you have family or close family friends that have juice in state government.

Contrary to popular belief, the MSP is still predominantly white and male. This was highlighted in a recent Boston Globe article.

I maintain that the most level playing field (and it's not perfect) are the US Armed Forces. The kind of level playing field might exist in individual agencies but I disinclined to think it is cross the board.

I took the test in 13 or 14. Got a 99. I didn't hear anything. I'm not a veteran as well. Got a different career and three years later got an invitation letter from the MSP for the next troop. Passed it up though. My best advice is to think very analytically, use process of elimination. Tests are mostly common sense and attention to detail.

You have to remember that there were at least two years (where there were no Recruit Training Troops due to budgetary reasons, and one of the most recent was significantly postponed and delayed. I know one guy who had his training postponed almost a year from the originally proposed start date.

Don't sell yourself short. Take the exams for BP, Customs, ICE/HSI, DEA, Capitol police etcs.

I'll give the Feds credit for one thing. For the most part, take the exam, score high enough get the job. None of this political BS.
For the most part......

Was at Lynn English today. About a half dozen people showed up, waited in line for over an hour, and got sent away because they didn't pay attention to the line that said they were supposed to go to Lynn classical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not a LEO nor do I play one on tv, but it was my career aspiration through high school and college--did the police explorers program, took some CJ courses, but life got busy and it fell by the wayside in lieu of other professional interests--I'm currently settled into a career that I enjoy with good pay and bennies, but still occasionally wonder, what if. That said, I do have a few friends who went the LE route: one now with NYPD, and a couple with municipal PDs here in MA and they all seem to love their jobs.

Have you considered non-civil service PDs? Norwood is doing an exam in April; they seem like a squared away department and from what I've heard (and from posts here on NES) the current chief is a stand-up guy and pro-2A.

http://www.publicsafetyllc.com/exams/norwood-ma-police-entrance-examination-2017/

That line though! Was that test at Sullivan for the whole state or just central MA?

And don't feel bad, I've been in the Marine Corps Reserves for almost 6 years and don't qualify for veterans points. None of my deployments have been more than 180 consecutive days...Nor is the one that's up and coming. Better hope I got a perfect score I guess!
I think this test was for the entire state (MSP and all jobs requiring a civil exam in the state). I hope at least. If this was just for Worcester I wouldn't even take the test. I'd just leave.
Saw plenty of people in military uniforms to understand they d get hired wayyy before me

- - - Updated - - -

Is there an application process? Like we get the test and apply to PD jobs that require the test?
or we hope someone calls one day (makes no sense to me)

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not a LEO nor do I play one on tv, but it was my career aspiration through high school and college--did the police explorers program, took some CJ courses, but life got busy and it fell by the wayside in lieu of other professional interests--I'm currently settled into a career that I enjoy with good pay and bennies, but still occasionally wonder, what if. That said, I do have a few friends who went the LE route: one now with NYPD, and a couple with municipal PDs here in MA and they all seem to love their jobs.

Have you considered non-civil service PDs? Norwood is doing an exam in April; they seem like a squared away department and from what I've heard (and from posts here on NES) the current chief is a stand-up guy and pro-2A.

http://www.publicsafetyllc.com/exams/norwood-ma-police-entrance-examination-2017/

Too far for me to make this my every day job. At least for now.

Back
Top Bottom