Carry Optics

Any old guys shooting carry optics in either game? Before I drop some coin on gearing up, here's my question. Does the dot sight do away with the need for some type magnifying/ bifocal/reader glasses for us half blind old farts?

Any old guys shooting carry optics in either game? Before I drop some coin on gearing up, here's my question. Does the dot sight do away with the need for some type magnifying/ bifocal/reader glasses for us half blind old farts?

I can't answer your question specifically, because I do not require bifocals or reading glasses, nor am I an old fart.

However, when shooting a red dot equipped pistol, your focus should be on the target, not the dot.

Either game? Does someone other than USPSA recognize C.O?

I'm semi-oldish fart and ya, the dot helps.

Either game? Does someone other than USPSA recognize C.O?

I'm semi-oldish fart and ya, the dot helps.
Apparently in the "other" game the MD of a local match may allow Carry Optics, PCC or calibers less than 9x19 in the "Special Division" if they so choose. Likely? probably not.
Thanks for the input. In researching gear it looks like a reliable sight is more than the pistol and mags.

Apparently in the "other" game the MD of a local match may allow Carry Optics, PCC or calibers less than 9x19 in the "Special Division" if they so choose. Likely? probably not.
Thanks for the input. In researching gear it looks like a reliable sight is more than the pistol and mags.

The dots normally used in Carry Optics shouldn't be more than the gun and mags. Some of the factory guns are machined for specific patterns of optics.

I'm 50. I've worn contact lenses for 30 years, but my reading vision has been okay up until a year or two ago.

I recently purchased a Glock 17 and put a vortex venom on it. I can shoot much, much faster with the red dot than with iron sites. The venom is a good site for the money, I think I paid a little under $200 and another $30 for the mounting plate.

My only beef is that is sits up a little higher than I would like. Glock MOS would solve this problem, if not for the difficulty of finding one in Mass.

Last edited:
Finally giving up on my old eyes and iron sights in USPSA Limited 10 and switching over to Carry Optics for next season. Looking at the Trijicon RMRs or the Leupold DeltaPoint - any recommendations as to dot size (3.25, 6.5, 7.5 MOA)? Going to modify a P226 or P228 slide with a cut-out for the optic and mount. Have plenty of "Pre-Bans" for the newly allowed bigger capacity mags . . . [laugh2]

TIA for your constructive help (but comments about "slanted eyes" and vision limitations are greatly appreciated [rofl]),

"Point Blank" Frank
:cool:

The trijicon have reliability problems when mounted on a pistol slide, and have a smaller window compared to the Leopold. I would normally recommend a 6-8 moa dot, but the Leopold 2.5 appears much larger and brighter than any other 2-3 moa, and more closely resembles a 6 moa. Stay with a dot, not the triangle thing, too much to think about as far as using the top or bottom of the triangle.

Finally giving up on my old eyes and iron sights in USPSA Limited 10 and switching over to Carry Optics for next season. Looking at the Trijicon RMRs or the Leupold DeltaPoint - any recommendations as to dot size (3.25, 6.5, 7.5 MOA)? Going to modify a P226 or P228 slide with a cut-out for the optic and mount. Have plenty of "Pre-Bans" for the newly allowed bigger capacity mags . . . [laugh2]

TIA for your constructive help (but comments about "slanted eyes" and vision limitations are greatly appreciated [rofl]),

"Point Blank" Frank

I've got both the 2.5 dot and 7.5 delta Deltapoint Pro. I haven't shot the 7.5 delta but it seems like an excellent option. I've lost the 2.5 a few times in awkward lighting and you can be just as precise with the larger triangle assuming you've sighted it in properly.

Yes, I use SSP top focals when I use Iron sights (built in readers 1.5 at top of lens, really nice)
when I use my optic loaded piece (M&P PC 9L) I have to use regular safety glasses or the dot will distort, I can also use both eyes (you really need to)
and just focus on the target. the dot will come into sight as soon as the target is sighted.

Just to update I put the Burris on a 9mm 1911 and did some local steel for the spring season. Just couldn't lower myself to a striker gun.Over perhaps 4k rounds everything held up well. Easy to mount. Battery life? I dont know. I turn it on at the start of a session and leave it on all day, and no issues yet. Plenty bright in full daylight. I even did a USPSA with it but 10 rounds of minor does in no way equal 29 rounds of major, if you know what I mean. Nice rig, fun to shoot, faster than irons, but I will offer the caveat that having shot Open for years the indexing thing came easily to me.

Last edited:
Iron sights only. With reflexive shooting you only focus on the front site post.

Folks here are talking about ageing eyesight and the inability to focus at the specific distance to a pistol front sight post. A red dot equipped pistol let's the shooter focus on the target, and the dot appears on it.

And, the Carry Optics division of USPSA requires a slide mounted optic, iron sights only are not permitted in the division.

I don't shoot CO, but I do shoot Open division in USPSA. I use a Delta Point Pro with a 2.5moa dot. I absolutely love it, so I bought another one for my backup open gun. With the recent price decrease on it, I recommend it even more now.

I have been thinking about switching to CO, but I noticed that there is no mag capacity limit in CO. I found that odd considering that one of the greatest complaints about CO is that it was like Open Lite. I was under the impression that CO was supposed to be pretty much Production (with 10 round limit) with a slide mounted optical sight.

Just bought a CMore for my MKiii for Steel Challenge. Figured I would give optics a try to see if I like it.

I have been thinking about switching to CO, but I noticed that there is no mag capacity limit in CO. I found that odd considering that one of the greatest complaints about CO is that it was like Open Lite. I was under the impression that CO was supposed to be pretty much Production (with 10 round limit) with a slide mounted optical sight.

Just bought a CMore for my MKiii for Steel Challenge. Figured I would give optics a try to see if I like it.

There is a magazine limit for carry optics, 140 mm (141.25) No mag wells though.

Ok, old W. German Mass State Police P226 in NP3 finish - check! Extra blued P226 9mm slide and barrel - check! Used Leupold DeltaPoint Pro 2.5 MOA reflex sight - check! Four (4) "Pre-Ban" std. capacity Mec-Gar mags - check! Slide milling options laid out and explored - check! Contacts for old astigmatic eyes - check! New knees - NO bueno! New legs - more No bueno! [rofl]

Hopefully, my old Blackhawk SERPA P226 holster will work with the slide-mounted Leupold. Any other holster suggestions?

Diggin' out all my old 9mm ammo for a winter full of red dot shooting. What I lack in speed, I 'll try to make up in guile and accuracy. Look out boys, I'm comin' for ya'. [laugh]

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank

OK, anybody know a Kydex-style holster for a SIG P226 that can accommodate a .460" front sight. My BladeTechs can't . . . [sad]

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank

Carry Optics is a good time and the Leupold Delta Point Pro and Trijicon RMR are solid choices. I've run both.

I prefer the Leupold Delta Point Pro in 2.5 MOA for the following reasons
- Don't let the 2.5 MOA size fool you, at maximum brightness setting in broad daylight it looks like a 6MOA
- Huge window and I find it easier to find the dot compared to the smaller window of the RMR
- Top loading battery, no need to re-zero the sight to replace the battery.
- Careful if you go 7.5MOA route, that dot/triangle is huge and bright.

RMR Observations (I had the RM06 Adjustable)
- Robust and low profile which is great for carry
- Smaller window
- BUIS if you want to run them aren't as huge
- Had to be removed to replace the battery and re zeroed

I have friends that have earned their Master classifications with both the Delta Point Pro or RMR so it's really personal choice.

I started carry optics with a Vortex Venom 3MOA but it washed out too much in the sun and was tricky to track. If you use a Vortex product then 6MOA is strongly suggested. The SIG Romeo is also a decent optic.

Thanks for considering my input and have fun shooting carry optics next season!

OK, thanks folks. Will check out Red Hill Tactical (and discount code, of course).

Just got back from a family trip to North Carolina - was able to steal a couple of hours and hit the Ashville Gun Show. What a hoot! And lots of stuff we never see up here . . . . . . . [wink]

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank

Back
Top Bottom